Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Too much tech - My SandStorm Prerelease report

JohnnyBlaze

Massachusetts Sandstorm Pre-Release Tourney
T.J.’s Collectibles
Sunday 9/7/03

Another horrible 6 packs for me. I went all out tech in this booster constructed tourney and to my disappointment I finished in 16th place. That’s 16 out of 16 in the 15+. I pulled 9 Trainers which I thought would work. I did manage to win 1 game. It all went downhill after my exciting 1st round lost. On to the deck:

Pokemon – 17
1 – Anortih
2 – Wingull
1 – Pelipper
1 – Onix
1 – Steelix
2 – Cacnea (Poison Payback)
1 – Omanyte
1 – Wailmer
1 – Zigzagoon
1 – Linoone
1 – Pikachu
1 – Trapinch
1 – Growlithe
1 – Zangoose
1 - Illumise

Trainers – 9
2 – Wally’s Training
2 – Mysterious Fossil
1 – Double Full Heal
1 – Lanette’s Net Search
1 – Rare Candy
1 – Root Fossil
1 – Claw Fossil

Energy – 14
8 – Fighting
2 – Water
1 – Electric
1 – Fire
1 – Grass
1 – Multi Energy

Round 1 vs. Josh H.
Like I said earlier this match would decide the outcome of the day. The match went back and forth with both of us down to 1 prize card a piece. I need my last prize to win. It is my one and only Lightning Energy. Josh has a Kabutops EX with 70 damage on it and I need the Lightning Energy for Pikachu to do 80 damage to ko Kabutops. I had burned my Multi-energy to retreat during the early game. I tried everything from Burning Kabutops with Growlithe to Poisoning it with Cacnea. Its not enough. I even had a Steelix ready to rage but I was short a Fightning energy. Josh wins with like 30 seconds left to play

Record 0-1
0 points

Round 2 vs. Ray
Good ol LuMaga and I square off. I was able to take the 1st prize then Ray had built up his 110 Hp Omastar and wiped me clean with it. Not much more to say about this one.

Record 0-2
0 - Points

Round 3 vs. Steven
I square off from another member of our League. I mulligan and go 2nd. Steven gets the cards that he needs. Steven has a 2nd turn Dusclops powered up for Judgement. I only have Trapinch in play. Steven rolls 2 heads on Judgement for the win. For those that don’t know Judgement knocks out the defending Pokemon automatically if 2 heads are flipped. Steven usually does this during League when it is Rogue vs. Rogue. 2 heads for the win. He is so lucky.

Record 0-3
0 points.

Round 4 vs. Liz
Liz is real nice. She and I traded earlier for a bunch of Reverse Holos that I was missing for my EX collection. The match went back and forth with only 1 prize remaining for the both of us. Her Delcatty then her Solrock finished me off.

Record 0-4
0 points.

Round 5 vs. Brian H.
This round was how my deck was supposed to work. Brian was lucky to draft 2 Wailmers and 1 Wailord EX. He did get it out but not before my Pikachu went through it with its Lightning weakness.

Record 1-4
3 points.

Round 6 vs. Jerry H.
What a way to finish the tourney. I end up playing my 1st round opponent’s Dad. I get the upper hand and the prize count is 1-2. Somehow and we both cant believe it, Jerry pulls out the win. I forgot how too.

Record 1-5
3 points.

My worst showing ever in any Pokemon tournament. BJJ lets it be known too once he announces the standings. Oh well I had a lot of fun anyways. I redeem my self afterwards during the GameBoy side event and end up winning 1st place and a half a box of Sandstorm EX boosters with my new team of Metagross with Leftovers, Glalie with Shell Bell, and Latias with Soul Dew. My son Nick does a whole lot better winning the 10 and under division with a record of 4-1-1 with the following deck that he constructed:

Pokemon - 22
4 – Seedot
1 – Nuzleaf
1 – Shiftry
1 – Lotad
1 – Lombre
2 – Zigzagoon
1 – Linoone
1 – Shroomish
1 – Breloom
1 – Onix
1 – Steelix
2- Eevee
1 – Espeon
1 – Dunsparce
1 – Wailmer
1 – Ekans
1 – Skitty

Trainers - 3
2 – Rare Candy
1 – Wallys Training

Energy - 15
7- Grass
7 – Fighting
1 - Multi

JohnnyBlaze said:
Another horrible 6 packs for me.

I got skunked too. As the day wore on I realized more and more how bad my luck was with what I pulled as well (either that, or I really, really suck at deck building). I did a little better than Johnny (2-4). Here's what I pulled from my packs:

2 Arcanine
1 Golduck
1 Sandslash
1 Steelix
1 Umbreon
1 Wobbuffet
1 Azumarill
1 Baltoy
1 Fearow
1 Kabuto
1 Lileep
1 Linoone
1 Murkrow
1 Nuzleaf # 49
2 Pelipper
1 Volbeat
1 Cacnea #57
2 Cacnea #58
2 Cyndaquil
1 Dunsparce
1 Duskull #62
1 Ekans
2 Growlithe
1 Lotad #67
1 Marill (Free Retreat)
1 Natu
1 Omanyte
1 Pikachu
1 Psyduck
1 Ralts
2 Sandshrew
3 Slakoth
1 Trapinch
1 Wailmer
1 Wingull
1 Zigzagoon
2 Wally's Training
2 Claw Fossil
2 Mysterious Fossil
3 Root Fossil
1 Multi Energy

It wasn't even decent for collecting purposes: no holos, no -ex. I had some good evolved forms with little or nothing to evolve them from, some respectable little basics with nowhere to go, and only 2 big basics. The Wally's Trainings were helpful, and I'd hoped to use Team Assembly to help with the bench, but never really got to use that mechanic. I lost one match where I had Sandshrew out and my opponent (Ron) had mostly colorless out, but I didn't draw a fighting energy and couldn't attack for 8 turns! Then I had to play my 8 year old in the last round. That's just not right!

Back