Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 128 with Mew/Mega/Plume/Muk/Pluff---Keelan D. Report

kd0220437

So this was my first tournament back to the game after a 6 month hiatus. I have been paying close attention to the meta game and noticed that Magneboar was the deck to beat, although as time drew closer to Nats I knew I would see a lot of other decks. I was unsure as to what to play up until the week before nationals. Seeing the Canadian nationals results made my decision a little easier as I saw a deck that was to my liking. I decided to build and test the Mew/Vileplume/Muk/Yanmega/Jumpluff deck. My friend and I had discussed the deck 2 weeks prior to the results and really didn't know how viable it would be. After seeing the results we were truly intrigued. So we built the deck and it was definitely something that fit my play style, and had a good match-up with practically anything in the format, not including Zekrom.

My crew of 6 others and myself get to Indy on Wednesday. We chill on Thursday and get some games in, and decide to trade some. I had to buy a Yanmega Prime for my deck and only had to drop $30,( Considering they reached upwards of $75 at one point over the weekend that was a great deal). I sign up and try and trade some and get prepared for the start of the tourney the following day.
We arrive at the venue on Friday and prepare for the long day ahead of us, after the players meeting we get paired and the tournament is slow to get started but we get going after a while. I apologize in advance, I have a terrible memory about names and what not, and I need to learn to take notes :( Here is my report:

Round 1--Duane Johansen Indiana- T-Tar
I go 2nd in this game to start off, but luckily he only has 2 Larvitar's and a bad hand. He mountain eaters and gets rid of one of my Muk's. Good thing I run a 2nd one and I see off and have Yanmega in hand for the turn 3 Yanmega. I sludge drag and Candy Vileplume and then proceed to sweep from that point on. I saw off a Jumpluff and the rest is history. GG
1-0

Round 2--Player from Indy--Don/Champ/Stantler
I go first and see off Muk. He attaches and passes. I evolve to Yanmega and turn 2 Plume and then Judge. I then proceed to sweep from there with Mew and Mega. GG

2-0

Round 3--Player from Washington--ZPS
Nooo! Not my worst match-up, and he goes first of course and has turn 1 120. This game was terrible, not to mention he hit 5 reversal heads and killed all of my oddish :( He drew into anything he needed, and it wasn't pretty. GG

2-1

Round 4--???--Mew/Cincinno/Yanmega/Zoroark
I go first and see off to his 2 yanmas with a yanma of my own on the bench. He says" Are we playing the same thing?"
At this point i was scared and wasn't really sure how this was going to go. He at one point in the game sludge drag's my Plume and then proceeds to kill it. I make a comeback and I sonic boom his benched Zoroark. He has an Mew active with a rainbow and DCE attached. He looks and plays plus power which with Mass attack gets him 10 damage from the game. He plays Junk Arm and all he has to do is get plus power again and he wins. He looks and takes defender( Bullet one avoided). He then proceeds to play PONT and says he's hoping for a reversal to kill one of my benched mews for game. He hits one off of the PONT and plays it, TAILS! (Bullet two avoided). He looks and starts to play a Zorua on the bench and then decides to pick it up. Looks and says, "I can mass attack" and then pesters with Muk to do 80! (Bullet 3 avoided!!!!!) I then retreat and mass attack for game. Luck was on my side that game! GG

3-1

Round 5--???--MegaJudge
He goes first and I really just have an awful game. He hits his reversals and I really have no way to counter him by the time I get stuff going. I know how to play this match-up but going first is SO HUGE in this format. GG

3-2

At this point I'm really worried that I will not make it, because basically I have to win out to make top cut.

Round 6(Last round of day 1)--???--T-Tar

Again I second against this deck, and I'm honestly worried. If T-Tar sets up it's not fun. I take 4 early prizes before he has a T-Tar hit the feel. Luckily I can sludge drag it and have Plume in play. He really can't do anything and I snipe around the T-Tar and it dies coming into my turn and I sonic boom for game. GG

4-2

So I feel pretty good about the day for the most part. Still haven't played the deck that I was hoping to see a lot of due to good match-ups(magneboar).

Day 2 we arrive about 30 minutes early and we stand around talking to fellow friends and players. Basically I know that I have to win out due to my tie breakers not being the strongest. We get paired and I sit down and get ready to start.

Round 7--???--Mew/Cinccino/Yanmega

I go first and see off Jumpluff, and he says that he doesn't run grass or rainbow so I feel pretty good. He has Yanma start and attaches energy and pass. I communication for Yanmega and judge for game. Sorry man hate winning that way. GG

5-2

Round 8--???--Reshi/Boar

I go first and see of Jumpluff to his Reshi start. He doesn't seem very happy with his start and attaches a DCE and hits me for 20. I Collector for yanma, Yanma Oddish and mass attack for 50. He attaches fire and hits me for knock out. I promote mew #2 and set up 2 Yanmega's on the bench and hit him for 60. He draws attaches a fire and hits me for 130. I promote Yanmega and Judge for game. I feel bad again for winning that way, but I am glad I am just one win away from Top Cut. GG

6-2

Round 9--Stephen McGaffney--Magneboar
Finally I play the deck I all but auto win. I start Mew Oddish Yanma. He goes first and says," Well I will probably scoop if Vileplume hits the field." I see off Muk and get ready to sludge drag. He candies Zone/Emboar and I proceed to set up Plume turn 3 and Yanmega on the bench. I sludge drag the Zone and he has no draw. I hit the Zone so it dies coming into my turn. I then sludge drag the Emboar and he looks and says, "I don't think that I have a way out to this." He then thinks for a minute and decides he doesn't and scoops. I am in top cut at Nats! GG

So we take a break for Lunch and I get set for top cut. Two of the people that I came with topped as well. Marcus M. and Chris O. My brother Kason D. also cut as well. I prepare to play and feel good about my chances to do something for sure.

7-2

We get paired and sit down and prepare to play our games.

Top 128--Justin Sanchez--MegaJudge

Again I have tested this match-up and know what I have to do. Game one I go 2nd and end up seeing off Muk and collectoring for 2 Yanma and Oddish. He Candies Zone and starts setting up Yanmega. He can't attack me though due to no having matching hand size. I sludge drag Zone and then proceed to see of Pluff the following turn. I candy Plume and he has no outs basically and we trade prizes after the Zone dies coming into my turn and I end up getting the game with Zone. 1-0 in top cut.

Game 2 he goes first yet again(big surprise) and sets up Yanmega's. I start to do the same and set Plume ASAP. We trade prizes back and forth and I leaf guard so he can't one shot my Mew. I then Mass Attack and take the game to 1-1 prizes. I actually didn't see it was 1-1 and he k.o.'s my Active Mew. I really don't know how he won this game I had energies on a Mega and no cards in hand at one point. GG

Game 3 I go first and have a Mew start. I attach the psychic and copycat for 6. I then draw into Muk/Jumpluff/Jumpluff and can't believe my eyes. I then try and see off, and my other Muk is prized. I knew at this point it was over, and I am really depressed that this is how I am going to lose at Nats. I see of Yanmega and still managed to take 3 prizes some how in the game, but I was devistated mentally to lose that way. :frown: GG

7-3

So I lose, and obviously as you all know Justin went on to win that title. Props to him for running well.

My friends Marcus as well as my brother Kason top 64 and my friend Chris top 16'd. Chris played the same deck that I did, and he actually lost to Justin as well.

I don't regret the deck choice it was a lot of fun, I just hate to get knocked out because my deck crapped out on me LOL!

Props:
To the awesome group I was with
Seeing my friends
Jimmy Ballard for helping me prep for weeks before the tourney
Jayson on 3rd place :)
Topping Nats
Losing to the Champ
Mew
Yanmega

Slops:
Losing the way I did :frown:
ZPS
Our Hotel in general

Thanks for reading and hopefully one day you will read my winning report. :thumb:

Last edited:
Maybe your hotel room sucked, but ours was fine. Also, Marcus and Kason Top 64'd.

Anyways, great job dude.

Good job, Keelan and cool playmat (I was your round one matchup). No shame in nearly knocking out the eventual champ. Well played.

Good job, Keelan and cool playmat (I was your round one matchup). No shame in nearly knocking out the eventual champ. Well played.

Thank you very much, do you mind if I get your name so I can add you onto the report. I'm sorry like I said I have a terrible memory for names. Thanks!!!

^ I hate auto loss games SOOO much. Nothing miffs me more than not being able to put up a fight, but a loss is a loss. Good job on your run, Keelan. Hope to see you next year. :3

Great job man!

I wish I could of been there:( I had a solid Megajudge deck...but ill never know how it would have done.

Glad to see you back in the game after you quit:(
Miss ya bro...hopefully I go to worlds, and hopefully you venture out here.

Again, gj on the roguish deck
Posted with Mobile style...

Great job man!

I wish I could of been there:( I had a solid Megajudge deck...but ill never know how it would have done.

Thanks man I appreciate it. I wish I could go to worlds, but I cannot unfortunately :(

Great job man!

Anyone else have any questions comments?????

I feel your pain man, that is a really bad way to lose but anybody who plays this game long enough has these sob stories (like prizing 3 Baltoys in a Regionals top 8) you still had an amazing weekend and a solid finish. Be proud of it.

-Jay

I feel your pain man, that is a really bad way to lose but anybody who plays this game long enough has these sob stories (like prizing 3 Baltoys in a Regionals top 8) you still had an amazing weekend and a solid finish. Be proud of it.

-Jay

Thanks man I really appreciate it.

Back