Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 16 Houston Regional: Who's the half naked guy playing Pokemon?

Zombievette1981

My memory is a little hazy as to my 3rd and 4th games. But here it goes. I wait until Friday and team hooters loads up. We hit the road at 6ish and go to the comic shop to meet and caravan down. The other guy, Chris, takes off twice so I can’t follow him. We end up just going down on our own. We get to the hotel around 12-1230. After play test a little in the room we all hit our beds. We end up talking about the universe, child rearing, and other philosophical issues before we decide to get some sleep for Pokémons.
We wake up Saturday, get food, and head to the race track. Missing our exit we finally make it to the parking lot. I get there, fill out my sheet (playing sablelock) and begin to wait.
Round 1. (???) mew prime, scorupi/ mamoswine deck
To start off my opponent mulligans 3 times. We start out and I see mew prime. I get worried that I’m playing mewperior. He sends off a scorupi and I get less worried. After 4 rounds a judge comes by and asks where my opponents prizes are, he forgot to put them out so the judge stops our game. She eventually comes back and gives him a major penalty, I take 3 prizes. The game is one sided form there.
1-0
Round 2. (???) Vilegar
Im pretty confident in my matchup here, but I just couldn’t get anything rolling. He locks me up, I get regice out but he eventually kills it. He takes all 6 prizes to my 2.
1-1
Round 3 and Round 4 (???)—(???)
I completely forgot what happened in these matches. I remember one of them was a donk on my part.
3-1
Round 5 (Billy kettler)- ERL
Going into the game I was worried. I had never played Billy or any kettler before and knew I had to be on the top of my game. He gets an electric start to my sableye start. I impersonate and begin to lock him out. He never really gets rolling, and I take 3 prizes before he gets an erl out. It comes down to time and he cannot win. Good game billy, one of the nicest guys at the tournament.
4-1
Round 6 (Dale lynch) BLG
I was feeling pretty good after beating Billy. I looked at my pairings and saw Dale. He’s a good player, and a very strong luxchomp player. I knew again I would have to perform very well. Well I didn’t, he had me locked out and kept the prize exchange in his favor.
4-2
Round 7 (Chris Smith) Darkchomp
I knew I had to win out to guarantee a top cut. I saw Chris and was disappointed we had to play each other. I knew his deck, and he knew mine. We sit down and begin joking as we play. I hit maybe 7 of my 8 flips for impersonate. He could not get anything rolling and was shut out. It was a fun game, and im happy that we didn’t take it too seriously.
5-2
Round 8 (Logan Herbort) Feraligatr/ magnazone prime
Yet again I go into this match knowing I must win. We flip over and I start sableye to his spiritomb. The start up is slow as we both set up. He gets both feraligatr and magnazone out, as I grab promocroak. I kill his spiritomb and he sends up magnazone. He kills my sableye with a lost burn and poison structure. Not thinking I promote promocroak. I am about to attack and realize that my sableye died by poison. I leap away and get heads. Promoting garchomp x to dragon rush his skuntank. This one move saved me, and he couldnt recover. He was a great opponent, and I had a lot of fun playing him. We exchange prizes, but my ability to poison revenge his belted magnazone gave me the game. I hope we can play again someday.
6-2
I turn in my deck knowing ill make top cut. Most of team hooters has strong records and we wait for the list. I make it 14th out of the 181 masters. I am pretty excited because this is my first regional’s. The pairings go up and I have to play JJ, a member of team hooters.
Top Cut
Round 9 (JJ Dunne) Vilegar
Game 1- JJ and I decide that whoever wins will at least have fun doing it. We get our decks shuffled and start. I start honchcrow g and 3 sprays in my hand. He starts double spiritomb. I get no cards for 3 turns. Eventually I judge away my 12 trainer card hand, and get nothing. He wins easily.
0-1
Game 2- We ask the judge how much time has passed and how much we have left. We have nearly 60 minutes. We laugh and start our second game, and try to go slower. He gets a horrible start to my god start. I am able to snipe and kill his gengars with my honchrow. I take 6 prizes.
1-1
Game 3- This was probably the worst game I’ve seen JJ have. He starts a spiritomb and an oddish. I get out regice and regimove letting me use trainers. He gets a vileplume out but fills his entire field. This lets me snipe his vileplume while he just draws passes. There was no more trainer lock through the rest of the game. He gets gengars out, but I am able to put 80 on them and then devolute them to avoid the fainting spell. He eventually scoops. His second vileplume and oddish were prized.
2-1 (7-2)
Round 10 (Michael Weldon) Luxchomp
Of course the only other team hooters player in 16 has to play me. The only positive is that at least one of us will represent top 8. We both know the lists, and play constantly. Fatigue had set in, and the mood had changed completely. Where JJ and I laughed, Michael and I just played blankly.
Game 1- We get a bit of a battle going, but he gets me. His deck has the stronger consistency and the damage ability of luxray beats me.
0-1
Game 2- I start horribly. I could impersonate the initiative but it will leave me with nothing on my next turn. I risk the collector seeing him already with a garchomp on the field. Apparently his hand was just as bad, but he did have a cyrus’ conspiracy. He rolls me. I eventually get out a prurulgy G for a godly 5 card discard, missing both of his DCE’s. He beats me.
0-2(7-3)

In the end we go back to the hotel. The fatigue sets in and we crash. I still regret not hitting up club HUSH, but that’s what the return trip is for. Overall I’m very happy with my turn out, especially with it being my first huge tournament.

Props-
Rapping going down, hipster got flow
Such a well run tournament
14th place going into top cut
Sablelock being a boss
Laughing and being the loudest topcut table

Cons:
Not hitting up club hush
Team hooters knocking each other out
Not buying more stuff at the comic book store

And the most important Prop, playing that entire tournament basically half naked.:thumb:

Nice work, David!

You know you're really improving!! (lol)

Back