Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Houston Regional report with a list

amphachu

So on Friday I drive into Tulsa to pick up my good friend Ty Smith to head to Ada, OK to make the rest of the trip down with some of our other friends. We get into Houston around midnight, and just playtest for a little bit before calling it a night. I change up my list a little bit before registering, and get ready for a full day of Pokemon goodness. I'm playing Rayeels. I was also the guy wearing the bright neon orange Tobuscus hoodie with a bright pink Call Me Maybe bracelet.

Round 1 vs. Garchomp/Terrakion
I start with baby Ray, and drop 40 on a Terrakion EX. The next turn I catcher up a Gabite and KO it. I then try stalling for a little bit by catchering up a second Terrakion EX with no energy, and drop 100 more damage on the already damaged Terrakion. He is able to hit the switch and knocks out my Raikou, but I'm able to nab a revenge KO with Electric Ball. After that I knock out his other Terrakion with Rayquaza, and then KO a Gible for game.

1-0

Round 2 vs. Hammertime
I get an alright start, but he gets a terrible one. On top of the he flip all tails on Crushing Hammer, and I'm able to make a clean sweep.

2-0

Round 3 vs. Darkrai/Hydreigon
I honestly can't remember that much about this game. All I know is that I won.

3-0

Round 4 vs. Brad Curcio W/ Ho-oh
He almost nails a T1 Ho-oh, but flips tails. The entire game is super close, but he is able to pull off the win.

3-1

Round 5 vs. Gardy/Goth/Mewtwo
I get a pretty good start as does he. He starts loading up a Mewtwo dropping a bunch of damage on my board. A key turn is when I was able to drop down a Mew EX with 3 energy on it to Volt Bolt his Mewtwo. He tries stalling a little bit by Catchering an Eel while his Goth was active. I'm able to retreat, and start going to town with Mew and Raikou.

4-1

Round 6 vs. Rayeels
I have a horrendous start, prize 2 Tynamo, and he kos one on T1. Great... I have no clue how, but I'm able to go to town with Baby Ray taking 5 prizes with it throughout the whole game. I'm able to win by using Mew to copy his Raikou's Volt Bolt to KO an Eel for my last prize.

5-1

Round 7 vs. Hammertime
I get a really good start, but never see any of my fire energy. I try stalling a bit with Thunder Fang and by trapping an energyless Darkrai active Stunfisk, but he ran hot and I ran cold.

5-2

Round 8 vs. Darkrai/Hydreigon
This was the most important match of the day. I win I should make cut. If I lose I'm out. I get a less than spectacular start to his god start. I was pretty sure I was done for when I went ahead and attached a lightning to my Rayuaza EX. I then realize that I probably should have attached it to my Tynamo to try to paralyze him. He lets me take back the misplay, and I hit heads. If that had been tails, I would have lost for sure. To avoid me getting a KO on his Darkrai, and eliminating all of his energy he decided to spread it evenly across his field. I top deck a catcher, and am able to bring up his Hydreigon to KO it. After that he isn't able to attack in return, so I was able to get fully set up and sweep his field.

6-2

After swiss was all finished up, the computers all decided to crash, so we had to wait to find out who made cut. We didn't find out until about 11 that night, so top 32 was delayed until the next morning.

Top 32 vs. Jesse Hernandez W/Darkrai/Mewtwo/Terrakion

Game 1: I'm doing extremely well this game. I'm down to 1 prize left to his 3, and all I have to do is nail either an Ultra Ball, Catcher, or a Lightning energy to win. I still have 4 Ultra Ball, 3 Catcher, and 2 lightning left in my 20 card deck. I Bianca for 4, and draw 3 switch and a fire.... He's able to catcher a damaged Rayquaza, and ko it along with an Eel for game. The next card I would have drawn was going to be my Mew that I needed to ko his Mewtwo.

Game 2: I start lone Raikou with no supporters. I proceed to draw nothing, and Thunder Fang until Raikou is knocked out.

Well that's that. I get eliminated from Top Cut because my deck decided to crap out on me. Ah well. Ty went on to win the whole thing, so now I have a place to stay for nationals.

Props:
Ty Smith
Most all of my friends doing excellent
House of Pies

Slops:
Disgusting looking food that was far overpriced at the hotel
Dead Drawing
Not playing Victini like I knew I should have.

Here's the list for you vultures that can't make your own.

4-4 Eel
3 Ray Ex
1 Raikou Ex
1 Mew Ex
1 Shiny Ray
1 Stunfisk
1 Emolga

4 Juniper
4 N
3 Bianca
1 Cheren
4 Level Ball
4 Ultra Ball
4 Switch
3 Catcher
2 Skyarrow Bridge
1 Super Rod

9 Lightning
2 Fire
3 Prism

Last edited:
I was your round eight opponent. Nice to finally put a face to the name.

Back