Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Masters @ Nats with Rhyperior

lugiaseeker

Well this will be my first report ever.
Friday:
I drove up from MD with my brother, pokemonforever and his sister. We arrived on Friday because Pablo needed to collect his travelers check at a certain time. Once at the convention center we looked around for the cards we were missing for our decks. Then we went to go have our name tags changed since they mixed up Pablo and Pedro and gave us two Pablo badges xD Since we did not come early enough for any tournament we ate dinner and left
Once at the Hotel my brother decided not to run Arcylutions and go with agro rhyperior as well. However he did no choose to go with the lunarock tech and went with skarmory ex.
The deck: Our Rhyperior lists are not meant to deck out our opponent (although they can) but use the disruption plus fast power to charge through opponents pokemon. Unlike most rhyperior lists, we do not run queen, meganium, or pidgeot but simply Rhyperior and Stantler. Ideally you push away with stantler early game and then clean up with rhyperior When we attack we use the stadium Meteor falls to copy Rhydons attacks or in some cases Rhyhorn. When you know you can compassion next turn you attack for 80 with rock wrecker. After play testing for a couple turns we decided to go to sleep for the big day.

Saturday:
We got there with our decklists ready to go and got in line. My brother was still missing 3 COMPASSION so he rushed of to get them from pokemonforever. Once he had finished his deck he cameback inline. Once we were registered i went of to play test against people i could find. Luckily i was able to play test agains ninetails1234 and we got a few matches in before pairings. He won a couple and then i won a couple. We met up with the pika brothers as well and discussed different matchups. Then the pairings went up.

Round 1 Fire monkey
I knew the fire monkeys were going to be everywhere today and luckily i had gone in with the lunasol tech. However my start was not so good and he was able to counter the lunalockwith that stadium. His monkey level x got out and then there was nohing i could do. 0-1
Round 2 Flygod
I started out with Stantler. Pushed away t2 his transceiver and then went on from there. Got at least 5 fissures in and then i cleamed up with Rhyperior/Compassion. 1-1
Round 3 Fire Monkey
I saw the chimchar and immediately mentored for a lunalock t2. Unlike the previous fire monkey he did not have the stadium to counter them. He budewed for trainers even after he saw my stantler. I pushed away everything he got and then milled him until he decked out. 2-1
Round 4 Gatr Ex
I was extremely nervous when i saw the tododile. I startd out with 2 stantlers. He early candied boosted and koed 1 stantler. I responded by confusing him for 1 energy and then started setting up a rhyperior. After that first attack of his he didint really get much. i was able to push away and then scramble a rhyperior. After the gatr was gone. I compassioned, set up more rhyperiors and decked him out as well. 3-1
Round 5 Firemonkey
Once again i pulled of a lunalock around t3 he didnt get much. The stantler pushed away everything budew tried to pull out. Then one of my earth fissures discarded the level x monkey and once that goes out unless they can get it back into their hand they cant make much of a comback. Then rhyperior with rhydon under it did 50 for 2 energies plus a stadium. I scotted for 2 more stadiums and a compassion and soon i drew all 6 prizes. 4-1
Round 6 Ambush (with Jolteon Ex)
Since this ambush deck ran jolteon ex, he wasnt able to run cessation. The empoleons were unable to ohko the rhyperiors and then i would just compassion and the lost a couple empoleons due to earth fissure. The jolteons would then be ohkoed by rhyperior ==> two fighting energy plus stadium for 100 damagei win 5-1
Round 7 Gardevoir Ex/Gardy delta.
Stantlers would confuse , the rhyperiors discarded valuable cards and then i cleaned up with meteor falls. 6-1
Round 8 Flariados
He didnt get much of a start. I think i had t2 50 rhydon and then after that the rhyperior was too big to be knockedo ut by anything... 7-1
I knew i had to win this last match.
Round 9 Lucario/Eeveelutions
I draw my 7 cards and almost have a heart attack. I had a holon voltorb start. I pass for like 2 turns before i get some rhyhorns and stantlers out. By hen its too late and the eeveelutions target all the rhyhorns and i lose :( 7-2
Im a little nervous now since its possible that i dont make the cut. But luckily i do.

Sunday
I get there early and i dont even know who my opponent is or what he is playing
Unlukily for me im stuck with AMBUSH. water weakness sucks ._.

1st Match. He gets t2 prinlup and cessations EVERYTHING i have no windstorms and then he just quickly takes controll.
2nd Match. He doesnt even bother getting out marowak. he mentors for 3 baby penguins attaches one to bench and does 20 for no energy T2 he evolves 2 of them my rhyperiors body doesnt work and then just donks me again. =/

I ended up getting 6 packs though so that was great since i wasnt expecting anything.
It turns out if i had been 1 spot higher on the list i could have faced a metanight deck ._. Oh well

PROPS:
Meteor Falls/Rhyperior
Stantler
Making top 32
Inflatable Pokemon
Meeting up with lots of friends from MD
Nintetails1234 for doing so well with his raieggs especially with so many t2 infernapes out there
SLOPS:
Facing 3 fire monkeys
Facing an ambush deck in first match of top 32
My bro for running skarmory ex in his agro rhyperior
Long ride to Ohio

Sunday

1st Match. He gets t2 prinlup and cessations EVERYTHING i have no windstorms and then he just quickly takes controll.
2nd Match. He doesnt even bother getting out marowak. he mentors for 3 baby penguins attaches one to bench and does 20 for no energy T2 he evolves 2 of them my rhyperiors body doesnt work and then just donks me again. =/

Just gotta say, I didn't donk you. Sure, you had a bad hand game 1 but I had complete control game 2 even with 4 of my poke searching cards prized. Please get it straight, I BEAT, not DONKed, you. However, I will say good job on getting to cut with rhyperior.

No i dont know who the other person was. There were not that many people running it in the actual tourney.

hey there, I believe "kirbypopstarhero" was telling you that he was the other Rhyperior Deck in T32 and that he says that he wished that the 2 of you could've played a FUN MATCH!!!

later.

~Breeder

Better luck next year. Take the professor test so you can do the Prof Cup.

People would have told you months earilier that what you have is a joke deck.
Can't wait 'till Holon Farmer gets rotated out.

Better luck next year. Take the professor test so you can do the Prof Cup.

People would have told you months earilier that what you have is a joke deck.
Can't wait 'till Holon Farmer gets rotated out.
Oh yeah i have been meaning to take it. Thanks for the reminder
hey i sent you a PM, did you get it?
Yes i replied but if you didnot get the message just pm me again and i will resend
i like the statler ryperior combo.

GJ at top 32 man

Back