Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 32 Masters w/ Gengar

Mune

Hey guys. I usually don’t write reports, but I decided to put one up after Nationals to voice my opinion on the format, but also as the only Gengar player past Top 128, I figured maybe I could offer insight on the deck. A lot of this report may be tl;dr for most you, as it’s a seasonal synopsis as well as a Nats report; so if you’re just looking for the report scroll down a bit.

For those of you (likely most of you) who don’t know, I’m a player from Missouri and have been playing competitively for about two years now. Last year was pretty meh for me; only winning some battle roads and a CC and no notable performances. This year I started testing actively and I think I’ve become a much better player and deck builder throughout the season. I played Sablelock with Blaziken for fall BRs, Luxchomp with Dialga for CCs, and DialgaChomp for States and Regionals. I had a real good run with DialgaChomp and it put me in the running for a Worlds invite this season so as soon as P!P announced there was potential for a rotation, my main testing partners (Michael Kendle and Colin Moll) began extensively testing and trying to figure out the format. After weeks and weeks of testing, the three of us decided that we thought the BDIFs were MewGar and Yanmega/Magnezone.

For the most part, we felt MewGar was a very underrated deck. A lot of people discredited the deck simply because things could one-shot Mews. Most lists that I saw did not have a focus on Gengar lines. They simply relied on Mew to send Gengar to the Lost Zone and then use gimmicks like Mime JR. and Slowking to place the remaining Pokemon in the LZ and frankly, I do not think this was how the deck should be approached. Mime JR. was fine, but we chose to abandon him because he wasn’t that efficient without Slowking and all Slowpokes have two retreat, meaning you lose the game if you start with them. Through testing, we found that if a deck could not one-shot your Gengars, then they didn’t have much of a shot beating you. At the time, we also played one Crobat prime to LZ with Mew to aid in Donphan match-ups, but it would eventually be cut.

As the weeks went on and we continued to test, we quickly found out that Yanmega/Magnezone was probably our hardest match up. Magnezone, through manual attachments and Pachirisu could easily one-shot Gengars and early Yanmega could kill our Mews. This match-up was not an auto-loss by any means (our auto-loss existed in ZPS, a deck that could run by playing 14 or less Pokemon), but with the results of Canada nationals, our Gengar deck suddenly did not seem like the greatest play. ZPS took the event and every deck was running Yanmega.

With a few days left for testing, our group arrived in Indianapolis on Monday for a concert and other shenanigans. Initially when we arrived, I was pretty set on playing Yanmega/Magnezone, but as the week went on I changed my mind. I saw tons of this deck floating around in the open gaming area. The mirror for Yanmega/Magnezone was literally coin flips and if that were going to be the most played deck, I had no desire to be coin flipping all day. I was introduced to Typhlosion/Reshiram through testing with Mikey Fouchet and his brothers and I rather liked the deck. It played Ninetales (my favorite Pokemon) and seemed to have a very good Yanmega/Magnezone matchup. Ultimately though, I decided not to play it because like Yanmega/Magnezone, it played reversal and games would be lost because of missed flips.
As I’m sure you already know by now, I chose to play MewGar for the main event. I didn’t play Reversals and thus the only flips that mattered would be my babies and those almost never mattered. If my opponent decided to take an early prize on a Cleffa, it usually meant I could just start playing Twins much earlier. Unlike most decks, going second with MewGar was not that big of deal. Obviously going first was much better, but I won plenty of game going second. I was never incredibly comfortable with my Yanmega/Magnezone lists, but I was 100% sure that the MewGar list I entered in the event was the best.

Day 1: I’m in the Blue Pod. Round 1 takes forever to start and we go down to having six rounds instead of seven.

Round 1: Matt S. with ReshiBoar

I saw a Reshiram in his deck during the initial shuffling and my round one jitters went away. I opened Mew and a Gastly, meaning I could not get donked. He wins the coin toss and goes first with only a Reshiram in the active and plays a Pokegear for a Fisherman, attaches and passes. I collector for some basic and “See Off” with Mew. He never really gets anything and I establish my field very quickly and after some key “Spooky Whirlpools” through Spiritomb, I have four Pokemon in the LZ. He eventually takes a Pokemon from prizes and I play Seeker, take two and declare myself the winner.

1-0

Round 2: Roberto A. with Mew/Muk/Plume/Mega or whatever that deck is called

I win the coin toss and start Gastly to his Oddish. Seeing the Oddish, I assume it’s the Canadian Mew/Muk deck, meaning that I already have a real advantage since his Mews are completely dead unless he LZs a Muk or Jumpluff and that just means reaching my win condition will be even easier. I get a Gengar out by T3 and use Curse Droplets to kill his Oddish and a Cleffa and from there it’s just downhill. Yanmega alone isn’t enough to threaten Gengar and I get six Pokemon in the LZ, but am ahead on prizes and can’t use Twins, but I use Mew to Eeeeeeeeek to avoid any potential Spinarak locks.

2-0

Round 3: Devon S. with MewGar

To be honest, I didn’t really see much of his deck. He wins the coin toss and we both open with Mew. He attaches, Junipers for seven and passes. I attach and collector for some basics and also pass. He literally never gets anything and I just Curse Drop the lone Mew for game. His list seemed strange and I could never really tell what it focused on. I never saw Gastly, but he played Dual Ball and Junk Arm. If he didn’t play the Gengar line, then it wouldn’t have mattered.

3-0

Round 4: Chad H. with MagneBoar

We chat up before the game and he was the winner of PN states and also The Game on **********. I win the coin toss, attach to Mew, bench a Gastly and PONT for 6 and proceed to put Gengar in the LZ. He starts with Tepig, attaches, comms for Cleffa, switches and Eeeeeks. I attach to Mew and play Seeker and Curse Droplets the Cleffa for the sort of donk. Not the best game, but I was pretty amused.

4-0

Round 5: Nick C. with Donphan/Reshiram/Zekrom

This round I’m seated close to Rokman. I introduce myself we chat before the round. He’s a real funny guy and is paired with some guy who argued with him on ‘gym. He makes fun of Canadians for a while and my opponent Nick arrives. I open Mew and Gastly and he wins the coin flip and opens Phanpy and attach passes. I do my usual turn one, collector for some basics and see off Gengar. He gets Turn 2 Donphan to kill my Mew and I twins for Gengar and something else and get a Pokemon with Hurl into Darkness. However, as the game goes on, he just is always able to keep Pokemon out of his hand. I used Spooky Whirlpool on him three times throughout the game and got zero, zero and one Pokemon when I usually average at least one. I scoop when he has two prizes left to my three Pokemon in the LZ. Nice guy and

crazy deck.

4-1

Round 6: Tim Talley with Magneboar
Tim is from Arkansas, and I usually see him at events there. It’s nice to see a familiar face. For whatever reason, I didn’t see the pairings go up this round and arrive at the table five minutes late, meaning I cannot win on time. I shuffle real fast and play a hella fast game. I win the flip, but open with Mr. Mime. Thankfully he doesn’t have a great opening either and has to Eeeek for several turns allowing me to easily set up. MagneBoar is clunky and plays a ton of Pokemon and I am easily to get all six Pokemon in the LZ before time is called.

5-1

Day 2: Three more rounds before Top 128, I’d love to win all three, but I know I’ll cut with 7-2 or maybe even 6-3.

Round 7: Christian O. with ?
I win the coin flip and start with Gastly to his lone Cleffa. I attach, Collector for Tyrogue and T1. I felt bad for it, he was a super nice guy, but it happens in this format.

6-1

Round 8: Kim A. with Yanmega/Magnezone
I lose this coin flip and open Mew, psychic, Spiritomb, Tyrogue, psychic, psychic and Seeker. I do not top out of the real bad hand and she steam rolls me real quickly. Losing clutch rounds is aggravating.

6-2

Round 9: Vikas P. with Donphan/Reshiram/Zekrom
I lose the coin flip and quickly realize I’m playing the exact same deck the Nick played in Round 5. We both get our boards set up, but that deck just doesn’t play many Pokemon. Again, I ‘Spooky Whirlpool’ him three separate times into a total of only one Pokemon. I scoop early and ask him if he was playing the same list as Nick and he was. He tells me the Pokemon line without the Donphan and the deck only plays 12-14 Pokemon. Sour grapes about playing this deck twice in Swiss, but both Vikas and Nick
were super nice players, so I wish them luck in cut and hope that I bubble in.

At 6-3, my World’s invite is probably gone and I probably could have had it if I had dropped at 4-0, but I do not regret not dropping. I figure my resistance has to be pretty good and when standings go up, I made cut as the 50th seed, one of the highest 6-3s. We break for lunch and such and I come back for Top 128. If I lose early in cut, the invite is for sure gone, but if I make a run, I may still hold on to it.

Top 128: Breton Brander: Yanmega/Magnezone

Game 1: I win the coin flip, but start with Spiritomb. He doesn’t have the greatest start, but mine isn’t very fast either. I eventually get a Gengar with two energy on him, but his is able to get a Magnezone and use Pachirisu to kill my Gengar and wipe all the energies off my board. I scoop to save time.

Game 2: Naturally, I choose to go first and open Mew and Gastly and some other good cards. I get Turn 1 See Off and eventually some fast Gengars when paired with quick Seekers I easily put all six Pokemon in the LZ and declare myself the winner.

Game 3: To be honest, I don’t really remember how this game went. Obviously, he chose to go first. I remember I had a faster start than his and he couldn’t quite get his evolutions into play and I capitalize on this with Mew, Gengar and Spiritomb. It comes down to the wire, but I get some jank Cleffa tails to stay in the game. Breton opted to play Circulator instead of reversal and my bench was obviously less threatened and eventually I’m judged into the Seeker I need to put Pokemon five and six in the LZ. GGs Breton.

7-3

Top 64: Josue R. aka Crim with Donphan/Yanmega/Zoroark

I played against Crim a little bit last Nationals, so I know he is good friends with Pooka and going into the game I know he’s playing the stage 1 deck. However, I also found out that Crim forgot to write down Pokemon Communication on his list and is playing with four extra fighting energy instead of them. It’s incredible that he made it this far without them, but no comm seemed real bad against my deck.

Game 1: He wins the coin flip and I have a slower start to his, but eventually I get a fast Gengar with two energy and I use Mr. Mime to look at his hand and he has two Judge and two Plus Power. I use Curse Droplets to LZ a Manaphy. He plays both PP and the Juniper that he topped and is able to get another Plus Power and Junk to kill my Gengar. I scoop as those were my only energies on the board.

Game 2: I chose to go first and start Mew and Gastly and just get a really good start and quickly start putting Pokemon in the LZ. He gives me a really nasty Judge, but never really gets anything off it himself and is forced to use Zoroark to ‘Foul Play’ my Curse Droplets for most of the game. Eventually I get all six in the LZ and declare myself the winner.

Game 3: He chooses to go first, but has a very poor opening and I start decently and am able to snag a Yanmega and a Donphan after his first Manaphy draw. No comm here finally gets the best of him and I’m able to move on. Crim is an incredibly nice guy and I discover that we both follow competitive StarCraft II. GGs Crim and sorry about your bad luck.

8-3

Before pairings were posted, I know that’d I’d be playing Jayson, which made me real sad. I’ve known Jayson for a while now and we’re good friends, but he’s also one of the best players I know. I’m very nervous going into this round knowing that my Worlds invite may slip out of my grasp if I lose this one.

Top 32: Jayson H. with Yanmega/Magnezone

Game 1: He wins the flip and starts lone Magnemite to my lone Mew. He collectors for another Magnemite and double Yanma and Magnetic Switches into a Yanma. I collector for a Gastly, Cleffa and Mr. Mime with a Spiritomb in Hand. I ‘Trick Reveal’ to see his hand and he has comm and three rare candy. I let him keep that and See Off a Gengar. However, he tops Yanmega and kills my Mew and gets a Magnezone in the following turn and I Eeeked and got judged. I scoop.

Game 2: I choose to go first just have a real good start and am able to ‘Spooky Whirlpool’ into Pokemon and he had one or two Pokemon prized, which just meant a free LZ for me. I get all six in with plenty of time and we move on to game three.

Game 3: He opens with a lone Yanma to my Mew and plays Judge turn one for his supporter and judges me into Mew/Lost World/Psychic/Comm and I top a Twins. I comm the Mew away for the Cleffa and See Off. He gets a Yanmega off his Judge and is able to kill my Mew. I Twins for Gastly and a psychic, play the Lost World and Eeeek. He reversals up my Gastly and its all downhill from there. I get maybe two or three Pokemon in the LZ that game, but am never able to keep up with his momentum. I scoop when he hits another Reversal to get my Haunter with my only energy on it. GGs Jayson.

8-4

I had no problems losing to Jayson, he’s such a good player and was (is) currently ranked #1 in the World. He apologizes for potentially grinching away my invite, but I wish him luck and hope he wins the event. I end up 26th overall which I’m very proud of. Gengar may not have been the best play for event, but it was the deck I knew the best. Maybe I just got lucky. Maybe I didn’t. Right now I’m bubbling around Top 40 waiting for Canada to upload their nationals into the ratings. If I get the invite, I’ll see you guys in San Diego. If I don’t, I’ll see everyone next season.

Thanks for Reading

Last edited:
Great job Brit. It stinks to go out that way, but you did what you should have and played the deck you're most comfortable with. Your a good player, and have improved a lot over the 2 years you've played. Keep it up buddy, you'll get there for sure.

Solid run Brit. It looks close, but I think you have that invite by just a thread! If so, I'll see you in a month!

Hey guys. I usually don’t write reports, but I decided to put one up after Nationals to voice my opinion on the format, but also as the only Gengar player past Top 128, I figured maybe I could offer insight on the deck.

2 MewGar made top 64 in Masters, but yes, there weren't many!

Any updates on the rankings yet? This was one of the better reports written, and gratz on the mewgar :>

Back