Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top 8 St. Louis Regionals w/ Steelix

Leaf

I was originally going to take my states deck into regionals seeing as I got third with it. It was VileGar with Blissey, Slowking, and 3 Judge, but it started proving a little inconsistent in testing. I made some changes to it but I still didn't really like the feel of the deck anymore. I figured I would need to play something kind of gimmicky to win so I built Steelix. Testing went well and I liked the deck enough so I took it to regionals and it was probably the best decision I could have made.

Round 1 - Ivan - VileGar
This is a pretty good matchup for me. I don't really remember much about this game other than I avoided a fainting spell with Skuntank and he ran 2 gengar prime I think so I just killed that and the game was over.

1-0

The next three rounds might be mixed up but they all happened.

Round 2 - Kevin White - Luxchomp Weavile G

He goes first with Azelf and passes. I use some stuff and then harden. He cyrus's for a collector and SP radars for a garchomp and attaches a DCE. I get out a Steelix, junk arm some energies and stuff, and I energy stream to set up gaia crush next turn. He collectors for an Unown Q, an Uxie, and another Garchomp I think. He retreats and uses another radar to dragon rush me. I heal off the damage with healers I think, and belt gaia crush his garchomp for the KO. He responds with another dragon rush but he doesn't have a supporter. I heal it off again, this time with moo moo milks, and then gaia crush him again. At this point he dead draws for the rest of the game and I just 6-0 him.

2-0

Round 3 - Chris Beaty - Luxchomp Dialga

I'm looking for revenge after losing to him top 2 of states last year and at another BR. He does something kind of similar as what happened last game but I can't find all my healing cards and he actually KOs my first Steelix. I have a second one up pretty fast after and he just throws luxrays at me. He's hitting me for like 30 because I have a lot of special metals, but he just keeps retreating to a second lxuray, healing breath, and then back to his first luxray. He uses all four poketurns to do this but I'm able to keep healing the small amounts of damage, and eventually he's out of poke turns. The game goes to time and I have like one or two prizes left to his three or four.

3-0

Round 4 - Tim Bauer - Luxchomp ERL

So many LuxChomps so little time. We both dead draw for a few turns but my hand had an Onix, Steelix and then like a bunch of energies so I get out a Steelix anyway. He can't kill it, but he tops an Uxie after a while and sets up for four. He told me at this point he had all his power sprays in his hand, but instead of hampering my setup he used copycat for 3 and just had a dead draw for the rest of the game.

4-0

Round 5 - ??? - VileGar
Can't remember his name for some reason. Again, VileGar is a good matchup for me and I just kind of do what I do and steamroll right through gengars. I know that I can dive a couple fainting spells and unless he hits both of them I'll be fine. This game might have happened earlier but I can't remember.

Round 6 - Mitchell - Gyarados

He starts with Sableye and impersonates a collector. I started with Regice so I use Sage's Training to get an Onix and bench and attach to it. He plays a mesprit and gets some karps in the discard pile and starts to set up. I attach to Regice and pass. He plays a seeker and psychic binds me again, and sets up some more. I lay down onix again and pass, choosing not to play my uxie. He seekers and retreats and smacks my regice for 90 and the game.

5-1

Round 7 - Rich - VileGar Mewtwo

Again, I get out Skuntank, deny him stadiums the whole game, play around fainting spell and rescue energy, and cyclone energy at time for the game.

6-1

Round 8 - Josh (AKA JWittz) - Sableye Luxray

I start with an awful hand and a regice start again to his sableye and good hand but then we get repaired but not really because we get a dinner break then me and Josh play each other anyway. He goes first, quicks his sableye start, plays murkrow, attaches a DCE to it, then impersonates an initiative for double tails. I play a sage's training and get no basics, so I attach a special metal and a belt and harden. He collectors for an uxie, an azelf, and I think a crobat. He time walks for honchkrow, attaches a special dark, sets up, flash bites twice and riots my poor onix for a billion.

6-2

So my two losses were to weird donk things, but that's okay because I made top 32 anyway. I was confident because I knew I could beat VileGar.

Top 32 - Carver - VileGar

Game 1 - We both dead draw for a million turns but we both eventually get rolling but Steelix just rolls over gengars. I also managed to Regice and explode with trainers.

Game 2 - This time he gets a double tomb and I have a pretty bad hand. But after a few turns I get a Steelix and just proceed to roll over gengars. Carver is a pretty cool guy and it sucks that he had to play Steelix in top 32.

Top 16 - Brit Pybas - DialgaChomp

Brit is my friend and we always have to play at premier events. He usually beats me, and Dialga is not my best matchup so I knew it was going to be close at best.

Game 1 - I start with Uxie and when I play the second one he sprays. After he takes like three prizes I scoop.

Game 2 - He starts with Roserade I think, and I start Onix. I get a turn where I use double drawer twice and get a good setup. He has a pretty good one too and is able to constantly heal his dialga, but we both are stacked with special metals and he hits like five tails on remove lost. I eventually kill his garchomps and then his Dialga.

Game 3 - I don't remember how this game went but he took an early garchomp prize and I used twins to get set up I think. He gets out a Dialga a little bit after I get out a Steelix and so I'm up a prize or two and then time is called. I'm able to heal my Steelix through time and I win. It sucks that he had bad luck game 2, but it happens to the best of us I guess.

Top 8 - Dan - VileGar Blaziken

I thought I was playing against Dialga again, and at first I was happy to play against VileGar.

Game 1 - If I had gone second I would have donked with Uxie against his Oddish but I went first so I just did 30 to it. He collectors and sets up his gloom. I regice and empty my hand of trainers and setup. He BTSes out a gengar and shadow rooms my regice. I can't find any more supporters to save my life and eventually I'm forced to dive fainting spell with only azelf on my bench. He hits heads and I scoop to game 2. I know he's playing Blaziken because he benched it somewhere in there but didn't actually use it. Also somewhere he poltergeisted a Steelix for a KO because I couldn't ditch my trainers because he KOd regice really early.

Game 2 - He starts tomb collector BTS, gets **** out really fast, and I don't have a supporter anywhere in sight. I take a couple prizes and dodge a fainting spell I had to dive but he gets a blaziken out. I normally revenge KO Blaziken with Uxie X but I started with Uxie and the X this game so he KO'd my level X pretty early on. He had a million and one rescues and rainbows which made it hard to get around fainting spells.

I was kinda mad that I had managed to dodge fire the entire tournament but then played it in top 8, but whatever. I make 12 bucks off my packs and take my rating home and cry because it wasn't good enough in the first place to matter.

Props:
Panda Hat
Steelix
Beating a lot of good people that day
Being good at picking decks and not a lot else
checkers
making money from cards

Slops:
Fire
losing right before I start getting money
little hope of worlds

I felt the exact same about Vilegar, even a non techy build. It just wasn't consistent enough for regionals. Nice job with Steelix. No one was expecting it there.

Nice job! If I wasn't running the Rainbows and Blaziken, you probably would've rolled me over, too. You played really well that first game -- a real pity you drew so dead the second one.

Good job 'n' stuff.

You wouldn't want to mention that you were accompanied at this tournament by three complete ballers, I suppose? Nah, didn't think so...

So I put dreams on your orange crush, and called it creamsicle.

Lol, i love stealix, so great job doing stuff and playing games :D

Back