Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Top Poke-bodies in use in today's format? - Updated

corypoke2

Pokegym,

Thanks to everyone contributing to this thread...good discussion and generally useful. To recap, I was thinking through the situations where Dialga G Lv.X's ability to shut off bodies is most useful. What are the most useful Poke-bodies in use in the format? How do you play against the body if you don't play Dialga G Lv.X? Here's the summary...not ranked because I don't want to get in a debate about whose poke-body is biggest:

1) Mewtwo Lv.X - SP or basic heavy decks have a near auto-loss here. Alternatives to Dialga G would be to run a tech evolve line, Warp/Luxray GL-X, Infernapr SP to force switch, Snipe, other?

2) Nidoqueen - Ability to heal all Pokes between turns is really nice. Alternative to Dialga G is just to hit harder or use status effects to negate the effect?

3) AMU bodies - Downer, no weakness, free retreat. Nice to shut these off with Dialga G. Alternative is probably just to focus on killing the pixie they only have one of in play with snipe.

4) Machamp Lx.X body makes it hit +60. Shutting this body off on their turn then Poketurning the Dialga G is a nice trick. Alternative to Dialga G is probably warp/LuxrayG to bring something else up.

5) Glaceon Lv.X body shuts off all powers. This is a huge ability in the format but the downside is that he GlaceonX has to be active and it doen't have cheap attacks or high enough hit points. You can play around GlaceonX with Warp point, Luxray GL or just hit hard and wait it out.

6) Tyranitar SF - Pokebody does dark energy acceleration from the discard pile. Not used a tremendous amount

7) Sceptile GE - Pokebody doubles each grass energy...a very nice pokebody that isn't played a huge amount because generally grass decks are a bit slow in the format and Sceptile is another Stage 2 to build.

8) Cherrim - Pokebody is basically a pluspower for Grass and Fire types. Since Cherrim doesn't do much else, most players choose bench space over Cherrim.

9) Abomasnow - Body reduces attack damage (to Abomasnow) by 20...a nice body that keeps Abomasnow around an extra turn usually.

10) Flygon RR - Body give free retreat if an energy attached to Flygon matches the type of the active. This is an extemely important body for high retreat cost attackers and hard to play around without DialgaG X.

11) Ampharos PT - Body shuts off powers if the Pokemon has any damage. This seems so powerful but noone has managed to really use it effectively yet. This one can be played around by emphasizing "coming into play" powers (e.g. Uxie vs. Claydol), poketurn to remove damage, and healing.

12) Ampharos SW - Body puts a damage counter on each of the opponent's Pokemon whenever the opponent plays a supporter. Similar comments to the PT Amphy...seems like this should be played more. High retreat cost is a big drawback along with it being a stage 2 without a big attack.

13) Manectic PL - Body protects bench from snipe. This can be extremely important for bench sitting Lv.Xs (Alakazam 4 X, Cresselia X) against Flygon. Luxray GL X is a good workaround if you don't want to play DialgaG X.

What other bodies are out there in frequent use that make people consider Dialga G X?

-Cory

Last edited:
Mewtwo LV.X isn't actually all that common but obviously its arrival is a HUGE problem for SP decks. Infernape 四 LV.X can force Mewtwo away from the active spot, so it sorta helps. Dialga G LV.X though is by FAR the best solution for stopping Mewtwo, especially with resistance making it unable to be OHKOed.

Queen... There really aren't other answers to Queen other then choosing a deck that delievers OHKOs or does 10 more damage per attack then normally required to Two hit KO the active. Spread really is NOT ever going to work against Queen without Dialga G LV.X, and... Gengar's Fainting Spell is pretty much always going off if a Queen is sitting on their bench.

AMU, eh. I'd rather just have efficient attackers to deal with them. Downer Material only matters if you're playing SP, and SP already has a tone of tricks to avoid energy costs. Weakness doesn't really matter unless you're playing Gengar, and even then its only requiring them to have one more trainer in hand to get the KO.

I... really wouldn't care if Machamp LV.X's body is going off or not. Its typically pretty hard to predict when its coming and to have a Dialga G LV.X on the bench waiting for it. Perhaps if you're playing Porygon-Z then its a VERY good trick ('cause you don't need them to do a free +90 <_<) but just about everything else it doesn't make a particularly easy trick to pull off.

For other bodies...
Eh, Tyranitar. Again like Machamp, its not worth your time to worry about unless you already have an engine that gets LV.X pokemon VERY easilly (read: Porygon-Z).
Sceptile USED to be used a lot and now its not... But on the offchance that you see one, Dialga G is pretty much invaluable into making the game largely in your favor (or rather, largely against them).
Cherrim is used every now and then, but its really just pluspower and not really of dramatic concern (...Though making Beedrill do 130 for 1 energy to OHKO every commonly played Stage 2 is... scary :/)
'bout it I can think of that's still played every now and then <_<

Potentially Flygon... But under that circumstance Dialga may not live long.

In all honesty, you already nailed the top three bodies, Mewtwo, Queen, and Machamp. After that it's merely random/rogue decks that Dialga shuts off.

How can you forget about Ampharos PT? If it wasn't for Dialga G LVX, it would have broke the game when it came out. Now that we have counters for Dialga I think some power locking is in order.

All Hail Ampharos!!!!

Besides Dialga G and the low damage output, I think it was Crobat that hurt Amphy more than anything else. Maybe Nidoqueen could solve that problem?

Ampharos isn't unplayable at all, especially since Gengar's become popular. And Queen helps a LOT for solving the Crobat G weakness. You just need something that can actually attack efficiently in that deck... It'd be cool to have some sort of spread too, but not needed. (Personally NOT a fan of Manectric. Too limited of a card, I feel. Considering it doesn't work well against Kingdra of all things... :[[[)
The problem is, everyone thinks its not playable so no one plays it :[ Its amazing how powerful one's conceptions can be.

Manectric PL is pretty good against Flygon, as far as protecting your bench from 150 snipe goes.

Hey buddy wutz up!!

There are not too many lvx's in the format that sit on the bench. The only ones I can think of are Alakazam 4 lvx, and Heatran lvx. Those 2 haven't seen much play lately. So putting in Manetric won't be good.

Hey buddy wutz up!!

There are not too many lvx's in the format that sit on the bench. The only ones I can think of are Alakazam 4 lvx, and Heatran lvx. Those 2 haven't seen much play lately. So putting in Manetric won't be good.
Hey man!
In my Dialga Zam deck (which managed to beat ben and get me 1st place in Battle Roads) Alakazam sits on the bench moving damage counters off of Dialga and onto something that can be easily poke turned, so manectric would help keep him safe in the Flygon matchup.

Sweet Dialga G Lv. X and Slaking

Well, my favorite combo with the Dialga G Lv. X is the Slaking. He does 150, but can only attack every other turn normally. If you add the Dialga G Lv. X, he can do huge damage every turn!

Hey man!
In my Dialga Zam deck (which managed to beat ben and get me 1st place in Battle Roads) Alakazam sits on the bench moving damage counters off of Dialga and onto something that can be easily poke turned, so manectric would help keep him safe in the Flygon matchup.

Actually, Zam might be good now since Flygon decks are having consitancy problems. You might have yourself a good little combo there. :smile:

giratina lv x body is pretty good your opponet discards 1 card from their hand when they attack even if the attck doesnt do anything to you

Forgot one that is big on the Junior scene.... All the kiddies love the Hedgehog...

SHAYMIN LV X - Thankfulness

Back