Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Tornadus EX a staple in Zekeel?

Blitzer

Just looking for some opinions. With all the fighting that will be around now, is tornadus ex and skyarrow a staple in zekeel?

Meh, I know a lot of people want two Tornadus EX in Zeels. I think that one is the most. Let me explain:

1) Tornadus EX will get you slaughtered in the Mirror. The Lightning weakness is a huge deal.

2) M2EX deals with Fighting types pretty well on it's own.

3) Zekrom trades just fine with Darkrai EX.

If the reason you want to play tornadus ex as a "staple" is to help against fighting type decks, you're better off playing 1-2 regular tornadus from EPO. It doesn't give up 2 prizes, and is equally bad in the mirror as tornadus ex is. It will 2hko terrakions/landorus', and 3hko or 2hko w/ double pluspower against groudon ex. but you can soften groudon up with mewtwo/tornadus and then finish with a 100 from bolt strike. smarter to do it that way than to risk the 2 prizes against mirror IMO.

Since you're advocating Tornadus over Tornadus EX, that means you're giving me all your Tornadus EX, right?

I agree though, since you already run the eviolite, the reg. Tornadus is still 3 shot by Terrakion.

Meh, I know a lot of people want two Tornadus EX in Zeels. I think that one is the most. Let me explain:

1) Tornadus EX will get you slaughtered in the Mirror. The Lightning weakness is a huge deal.

2) M2EX deals with Fighting types pretty well on it's own.

3) Zekrom trades just fine with Darkrai EX.

Don't play Tornadus EX in the mirror. Problem solved. Mewtwo isn't anywhere close to as good as a fighting counter. Tornadus isn't used mainly as a 'trade with Darkrai' card.

Tornadus gives the deck a T1 60 damage option. Very good in many situations. It also is a specifically great attacker against Zoroark, taking out 2 stage 1s before being taken down. It has resistance to Fighting, making the Quad decks MUCH easier to handle.

And ultimately it is a good overall attacker vs anything not lightning. And heck, it can still be used against lightning on T1.

Don't play Tornadus EX in the mirror. Problem solved. Mewtwo isn't anywhere close to as good as a fighting counter. Tornadus isn't used mainly as a 'trade with Darkrai' card.

Tornadus gives the deck a T1 60 damage option. Very good in many situations. It also is a specifically great attacker against Zoroark, taking out 2 stage 1s before being taken down. It has resistance to Fighting, making the Quad decks MUCH easier to handle.

And ultimately it is a good overall attacker vs anything not lightning. And heck, it can still be used against lightning on T1.

I know that you can simply not play it down, but if you are going with two there is a decent chance it will be your only attacking option at some point in the game because people are going 2 Tornadus EX, 1 M2EX, 1 Raikou EX, 1/2 Zkerom, 1 Terrakion.

As for M2EX, it might not be "as good" but with Eviolite it is still a 3HKO for terrakion and at least a 2HKO for Groudon and (assuming) the fighting pokemon is powered up (so at least 2 energy attached) M2EX only needs 4 and a PP to OHKO Terrakion or 3 energy to 2HKO a Groudon. Gasp, the same amount of energy that Tornadus EX needs to 2HKO a Groudon.

Yes, Tornadus is very good against Zoroark, but not really any better than Zekrom. Zekrom with Eviolite is more often than not going to be a 2HKO, just like Tornadus EX will be. Also, Zekrom OHKOs Zoroark, just like Zoroark.

People who fail to understand how powerful Zekrom still is, will be at a disadvantage.

I know that you can simply not play it down, but if you are going with two there is a decent chance it will be your only attacking option at some point in the game because people are going 2 Tornadus EX, 1 M2EX, 1 Raikou EX, 1/2 Zkerom, 1 Terrakion.

As for M2EX, it might not be "as good" but with Eviolite it is still a 3HKO for terrakion and at least a 2HKO for Groudon and (assuming) the fighting pokemon is powered up (so at least 2 energy attached) M2EX only needs 4 and a PP to OHKO Terrakion or 3 energy to 2HKO a Groudon. Gasp, the same amount of energy that Tornadus EX needs to 2HKO a Groudon.

Yes, Tornadus is very good against Zoroark, but not really any better than Zekrom. Zekrom with Eviolite is more often than not going to be a 2HKO, just like Tornadus EX will be. Also, Zekrom OHKOs Zoroark, just like Zoroark.

People who fail to understand how powerful Zekrom still is, will be at a disadvantage.

Terrakion is unneeded, it is just a win more card.

Win. More. Card.
What about that can you not understand?
It isn't needed to win against mirror and it messes with consistency.

Zeelz can and should be build with an efficient number of attackers for every match up. Even if the list runs 2 Tornadus EX instead of just one, the deck has enough room for enough attackers. Tornadus only hurts if you are literally forced to play it, which would realistically only be when it's your starting basic. As I said, when it comes to prize trade, Tornadus EX as a start can be a good thing if you go first with him.

Lets face it, running Tornadus EX does not have any significant negative impacts on any match up. The only real argument here is in the cards that would be cut in order to include Tornadus EX. My rebuttal is that this space/these spaces are definitely worth it.

In both of your counter examples, your given pokemon needed Eviolite to do the trick. In the Zekrom example, Eviolite usually doesn't make a difference anyways, making him a particularly bad example. Tornadus doesn't need eviolite. Terrakion 3HKOs Tornadus EX by itself. Zoroark 2HKOs Tornadus by itself. A lot of lists don't even run Eviolite.

Tornadus simply gives the deck options that it did not have before. A turn 1 60 possibility is amazing. Being powered up in one turn with only one Eelektrik in play. It provides a better Terrakion counter than anything else in the card pool. Without these great traits Tornadus has going for it, as a standalone attacker the card OHKOs many targets, and 2HKOs all EXes.

Back