Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TRAINER CARD: Pokemon Reversal

TrEkIeV

The Ruby/Sapphire version of Pokemon Reversal was translated incorrectly.

As of now, the ruling is to play the card in the incorrect way.

The Jan.4,2004 PUI Rules Team Meeting did not address this issue.

What’s going on?

Well, PUI is not going to be able to errata a card like that.
We did the best we could. We brought it up to PUI and they are bringing it up to Japan.
This is not going to be a quick fix, if it even gets changed at all!

IMO, they should allow the original Pokemon Reversal to be played as printed. Hey, they allow you to play the Marrill misprint as printed.

That's a different thing, though.
The PR is a new version of a card from an earlier set, like Full Heal.
Marill is two different versions from the same set, just like the two different versions of Dark Vileplume from Team Rocket.

Now, if we can positively determine that the wording of the new PR is in error, we may be able to get a Hitmonchan-type "play as written" ruling due to error text, but right now, PUI has no indication other than from some fans that the card text is in error. Their belief is that the earlier text was the one in error.
They are, however, double checking that at our request.

Last edited:
Lets face it, some rulings are just wrong. I have already had one of my favorite cards ruined by Wizards due to missing text, then corrected the error by saying the correct part of the card was the error, which was a load of, well you know....

Nintendo should just errata Reversal to Salamance dragon Wind text..... IMO.... Since it shoulda been worded that way anyways....

PokePop, I understand your point. But I think we all agree that the R/S version of Pokemon Reversal is a MISPRINT, nothing else. We're NOT talking about different, newer versions of the previous card here. If you don't believe me, check the translation from the Japanese version of R/S PR. This is from Pojo:

Flip a coin. If heads, choose 1 of your opponent’s Active Pokémon and 1 of his or her Benched Pokémon. Your opponent switches those Pokémon.

It's quite clear from this translation that although your opponent physically switches the Pokemon, YOU get to choose which Pokemon are switched.

So, if we can get PUI to agree that the R/S PR is a misprint, we can also get them to rule correctly (changing the existing ruling) and make the earlier version (and also the correct version) playable as written. That's the way it SHOULD be.

Last edited:
What you need is a tournament that crosses country boudaries. Then IIRC the floor rules state that the Japanese interpretation prevails ;)

POP Floor Rules said:
Card Interpretation
Tournament judges will base their card rulings and interpretations on a card, based on the event location’s local language. Major tournaments that span multiple countries will default to the original intent and design of Pokémon cards produced in Japan. Pokémon Organized Play will issue card rulings based on that information.

So if any europeans make it to worlds then Pokemon Reversal becomes half a gust!.

The floor rules are quite clear that the original Japanese interpretation prevails... I suspect that had the Wotc MT's been involved then we would get the 'Hitmonchan' ruling.

Just suppose that we get a Japanese player along to a major tournament. How will they expect Pokemon reversal to be played?

SteveP hasn't come out and said it but I believe he would agree that this was a local mistake in the translation and can be fixed locally, without refering it back to Japan. If PUI are afraid to make this decision then they should just issue a few of the earlier cards as special convention promos. I'm sure that Purity or others could make up a batch for them if its an issue of cost

and just for emphasis with my editors hat on...

Pokémon Organized Play will issue card rulings based on ......the original intent and design of Pokémon cards produced in Japan.

Pokémon Reversal as a half gust with a flip is hardly broken anyway. We all know it should be a half gust. Whether by rerelease or errata, the card should be restored to it's original (mediocre to decent) playability.

We may all agree that it's a misprint.
Getting PUI to agree that it's a misprint is a whole other kettle of Magikarp!

mmmmm..... Kettle of Magikard

*Drools..........*

Yeah, but I hate that we ultamately suffer because of a bad translation!!! Its just not right. I suppose it is fair since we all suffer though....

refer them to their own floor rules 'Pop ;)

The point that I'm going to labour once again is that if anyone outside the USA makes it to worlds then Pokemon Reversal has to be played as per the Japanese card. Its in the floor rules! ;). So why have potential confusion that the correct earlier printing only applies at international tournaments?

Back