Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

TT - Calm Down!

dancingaway

Trollandtoad.com have got their EX pre-orders up for Dark Explorers. Goddam it's annoying. Darkrai ex is $50! This is silly. Nobody knows if he'll be good. All is does is fuel hype and push up prices to silly levels before the card even ships!

Raikou was $10 (and $15) but sold out quickly. Tornadus in also only $10 (and $15) so clearly they're not completely well informed.

Does anyone else think this is a little silly? By all means charge more for cards that are better but artificially pushing up prices for unreleased cards to such ridiculous levels really grinds my gears!!

For the record, i like TT and i use them a lot. They're reliable, (usually) cheap and ship fast, even to the UK. I would highly recommend them. I just think that the Mewtwo pre-order debacle was stupid and it's happening again!

Here's my suggestion: Charge maybe $20 for all the EXs and then increase or decrease prices according to actual sales, rather than acting on and fuelling hype and trying to artificially create demand!

They raise their prices when people preorder them en masse; don't preorder and the prices don't go up.

Seriously, people need to stop complaining about these things. T and T raises prices entirely based on demand; if enough people are willing to pay $50 for Darkrai they will charge them $50. If you aren't willing to buy for that price, then don't. That simple.

Just an FYI, Darkrai's prices WERE based on people continually buying them...

(And notice that since nobody bought any at $50, they dropped the price...Supply and demand, it's that simple)

Last edited:
If they sell it high they win and don't lose anything. If they sell it too low they are missing out on potential profit. I'm sure they will adjust the price accordingly when the set comes out.

Here's my suggestion: Charge maybe $20 for all the EXs and then increase or decrease prices according to actual sales, rather than acting on and fuelling hype and trying to artificially create demand!

Herp derp they do, the Darkrai preorder went up like a month ago and already got drove up by initial preorders.

Herp derp they do, the Darkrai preorder went up like a month ago and already got drove up by initial preorders.

I agree. I saw it on T&T for $15 back then. But I didn't get any because I much prefer the FA versions. That and I didn't expect it to rise so much.

They raise their prices when people preorder them en masse; don't preorder and the prices don't go up.

Seriously, people need to stop complaining about these things. T and T raises prices entirely based on demand; if enough people are willing to pay $50 for Darkrai they will charge them $50. If you aren't willing to buy for that price, then don't. That simple.

To expand on this(even though it has been explained in too many other topics)what T&T does is they have their starting price based on the cards rarity. Their staring price for all of the regular EX's started at $10, but they only sell 16-20 for that price. When they sell all of those, they bump up the price. Darkrai started at $10, and kept going up. The only EX I believe didn't start at $10 was Mewtwo, but could be mistaken.

And on a side note, getting Raikou at $10 each is a hard deal to pass up
*hangs head in shame for contributing to the price bump*

Guess it's time for me to start buying Raikou EX's on T&T now, then sell them once the hype skyrockets like it did Mewtwo. Smart investing?

This is the reason why 'poor' players can't win or play or trade for cards needed to do well because T&T keeps doing this. There's no need for a card to be over 15 at most. It's also annoying that the company does nothing about this. Releasing mewtwo ex in a tin or blister pack fixes the price almost over night.

This is the reason why 'poor' players can't win or play or trade for cards needed to do well because T&T keeps doing this. There's no need for a card to be over 15 at most. It's also annoying that the company does nothing about this. Releasing mewtwo ex in a tin or blister pack fixes the price almost over night.

As much as I'd like to agree, it's not like Troll and Toad is STARTING the price at absurd levels. The players are buying them, so I can't blame Troll and Toad for raising the price. T&T is just going by the age old business principle. The more demand there is, the more they can charge for it. Proof of concept, Darkrai EX dropped down to $45 this morning. This didn't happen because T&T decided the card was worth less; it happened because nobody was buying the card at $50. Nobody buys it, the price drops. People buy it, the price rises, end of story.

The players want to buy cards cheap as dirt, and T&T wants to make money.

It just so happens both of these can't happen at once, and T&T is the one with the cards, not us.

tldr; Don't hype, don't preorder, and this won't be an issue.

A bit of top secret info here guys, not sure I should be spreading it around.

But, rumour has it, that Troll & Toad isn't the only place that you can buy cards from.

Keep it under your hats.

Basically, my point is, if you think T&T's price is too high, go and buy it cheaper somewhere else. If you can't buy it cheaper anywhere else, then the price isn't too high.

Also, if you are going to be the kind of person who insists that they must have a card the very instant it comes out, then I have no sympathy for you. Cards are never made legal until after the set is officially released, and before that there are two-three weeks of pre-releases.

Even if the tournament that you need the card for is a week after the set is released, then that still gives you three weeks to obtain the card from the start of prereleases. As soon as prereleases start, there will be some people selling the cards you want, whether on forum, eBay, wherever. Other online stores who don't do pre-orders will also start to stock them. Most of the time, you'll be able to get a cheaper deal from somewhere.

Couldn't have said it better Dan. :thumb:

- Cards don't make the players win, the players make the cards win

If you can't win. Get better.

A players wallet should not decide if they can win or not. Tell this to the same people who have kids playing that can't afford the cards needed to be competitive with.

---------- Post added 04/12/2012 at 03:27 PM ----------

As much as I'd like to agree, it's not like Troll and Toad is STARTING the price at absurd levels. The players are buying them, so I can't blame Troll and Toad for raising the price. T&T is just going by the age old business principle. The more demand there is, the more they can charge for it. Proof of concept, Darkrai EX dropped down to $45 this morning. This didn't happen because T&T decided the card was worth less; it happened because nobody was buying the card at $50. Nobody buys it, the price drops. People buy it, the price rises, end of story.

The players want to buy cards cheap as dirt, and T&T wants to make money.

It just so happens both of these can't happen at once, and T&T is the one with the cards, not us.

tldr; Don't hype, don't preorder, and this won't be an issue.

The problem is T&T has control over what the cards prices are. Raikou EX went up 10 bucks in the last hour. Not 5 but 10. Same with Tornadus EX. I'm glad I pre-ordered some while I did but I only did it so I can have playable cards without having to break the bank. Its the reason I don't have Mewtwos and thats because I can't afford them.

Back