Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

UK- High Wycombe (NEW VENUE) weekly league!

irwinmalek

Hi,

Posting to announce/inform everyone of the new High Wycombe league, which will take place every Sunday from 2pm until around 4pm.

The league will run EVERY Sunday except for the 2nd Sunday of every month.

The location for the league is:

McDonalds.
High Street,
High Wycombe

This is around 2-4 minutes walk from High Wycombe train station, which is very easy to get to from anywhere really.

The SECOND Sunday of every month will be the Stokenchurch event instead, at the following location:

Longburrow Hall,
Park Lane,
Stokenchurch
High Wycombe

The league is looking to be really popular, with many many people already expressing their interest from the local area!

Any questions, please post here, or use the contact details available through the OP website.

Thanks

Just a question.
How is it possible to start a league at MC donalds, don't you need a shop who is selling TCG product.

it does. What Crawley has is players who are unwilling to financially support a paid for venue! grrrr

Last edited:
NoPoke said:
it does what it has is players who are unwilling to financially support a paid for venue! grrrr

Just so you know, I'm not the Owner of the league, one of the High Wycombe players is...

I don't know why it would be better to PAY for a hall when the staff of a Worldwide food chain will let you use a closed off section of a place where most players would prefer to play anyway, with food on site, nearer to a train and bus station than any local hall is, where the tables are already set-up.

A hall was found (not Stokenchurch, in High Wycombe) and was ready to be used for the league, but the players insisted they would prefer to play in McDonalds, so I guess wherever the players prefer is the best location...

Now the parents of the players can do some shopping, as McDonalds is right in the middle of the High Street, and there can be extra prize support!!

Last edited:
Completely in agreement Irwin. Good points esp. w/ the parents preferring to have a break and shop w/o their little darlings.
BTW we broke the format for this a few years back, having a friend as the manager helps a lot too =)
BK did a Pokémon League Promotion way back then and we've carried it on ever since.
BTW2 I think what NoPoke is saying is that the players don't want to pay up for the venue (tight) and it's not the fault of the league organiser, I've noticed though younger players favour free entry to league as they are the ones that come more regularly.

~fK

Last edited:
I would be intrigue to know how many players plumped for a venue at Mc Donalds as opposed to a hall on their own with storage and longer play times undisturbed by the need to clear the play area should Mc Donalds need the tables?

It all depends on the questions asked, the number who reply and what the aim of the league is.

Certainly the Mums and Dads at the Gamers Guild are happy to drop off and have 3+ hours free of the kids in a location that is paid for by subscription from the players. With a cheap tuck shop, more room, free parking and storage for cards and club materials why wouldn't you want to pay a £1? After all they are going to end up spending that anyhow.

Still it's horses for courses I guess once you get west of Clacketts Lane you guys are all cheapskates ;) (only Joking)

Give me a hall anytime!

Irwin I wasn't having a go at anyone.. free venues are not without their problems either: you do tend to get what you pay for :(

btw can you tell us who the new league leader is ? or is it a secret LOL

Sure I can, her name is Dot H, from High Wycombe (she's also playing with 2 members of the family at Nationals...)

Ben, you'd be surprised to find that the players opted for McDonalds- they prefer being in places where there is lots going on, rather than just on their own in a hall playing cards.

Plus, we could have had more than 2 hours, 4, 6 or 7 even, but we thought 2 would be good to start off with :)

The league DOES charge £1 anyway per week, which goes towards prizes support (more boosters, sleeves, dice, etc...!)

Last edited:
awwww I wanted it to be a secret.... *grin* !!! best wishes for a sucessfull league.

Nationals Hmm... doesn't seem to be anyone who wants to judge....could get very interesting!

Thanks Ian..

And yeah, I have no idea who's going to judge Nats, or even what's being offered to the judges...
:)

Last edited:
Please again, is that new league affiliated to a store?????
Is any league connected to a store(owner).

I only need this information to point out (in case I get a chance) why OP is growing in some countries and in some it's not.

Now I can only guess, but I think in the UK as well in Norway. leagues can be started without having a connecting store(owner).
In other words, if you want to start a league, you don't need a store, you can tell your OP providere you can do league in a library and get permission to do so.
Leaguematerials are send to the LeagueLeader (private adress).

Come on guys this is important.

store based leagues are prefered by our LD. But you don't have to be a store in order to be considered.Heck, even closed venue (eg school based) leagues are allowed in the UK.

I'd guess that a third or maybe fewer UK leagues are currently store based. Some of the UK leagues whilst not having premises are still retailers. retail inthat card stock is purchased directly from distributors.

League is growing in the UK which suggests that diversity is good.

Exactly my point, we saw in 2003-2004 the grow in the US and it's still growing.
We know that you don't need a connectiong store overthere.

We tried over and over again to convince PUI that the way some LD's are forcing people to work through a store never worked in the WotC period and still doesn't work.
But it's like more things we tried to point out to PUI, they don't want to listen to us.
They marked us as pain in the neck.
And that's one of the reasons we got stucked with a rediculious situation overhere.

BTW I found out we have our own underaged TO now, but who cares.
I only wonder if such a TO is bounded to the TO agreement?

If you have an underage TO POP need to know that and act on it. There are some rules that are there for Legal Reasons. How you hold a person under 18 responsible for a start!

It is a shame that published rules only apply to the US it seems :(

I know that there are rules which you have to agree on, for Legal Reasons.

One of them concerns privacy policy.
But our LD already showed me that they are nog even bounded by that privacy policy (details regarding our suspension mentioned to third parties).

This TO had been made TO by our LD and according his words he even didn't ask for it.
He became TO even without agreeing that Form.
One day he suddenly was TO.
At least that's what he told me in an email.

You suggest I mail PUI/POP about this, and then what?
I become another lifetime suspension because I speak out loud?
It's fresh in my memories that I am suspended and accused of disrupting POP activities in the Netherlands.
While the only thing I/we did was mentioning infringement of POP rules to PUI.

Not Really it's about new leagues starting and becoming TO has in my vision a connection with it.
But I will start a new topic in the general forum, if that satisfies you.

FWIW I don't think it is particularly off topic.. Irwin did ask for questions and though Lia has asked a question that no one was anticipating it remains a legitimate question.

Since the discussion keeps the thread at the top of the lists I'd say that it is only enhancing the exposure for the new league. So which is better let this announcement sink because discussion is off topic or keep it visible?

Back