Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Umbreon777's 2nd place Gen Con championships report!!

Umbreon777

I got up at 7 in the morning on Saturday and have my traditional "Im too nervous to eat anything" mornings. I leave with my dad at 7:30 on the 15 minute drive that it takes to get to the convention center. From where I live. :tongue: When we got there and got parked and stuff, we signed in and walked around like fools until we found the right room that Pokemon was taking place in. I stayed in there until the competition started. Thats where the fun began. And as it turns out, a whole family from Denmark who are going to Worlds was there. They barely spoke English so I talked in a Danish accent. That was fun.

There were 10 people in my age group (11-14) and 4 in 10-. So those two age groups had to play against eachother in 4 rounds of swiss. I decided to play with my Flygon δ Pidgeot δ deck that NO ONE saw coming. I had playtested it for a few weeks and found out that I could easily beat my metagame. All except for Medicham ex, my auto-loss. But no one plays Medicham so I wasnt too worried. My deck turned out to be a good decision nonetheless.

Round 1: Christian P. from Denmark with Dustox EX.

He starts out with 3 Wurmple and I already know what to expect. He ancensions and passes. All I remember is that I had an active Trapinch, with Flygon, Desert Ruins, and 3 energies in my hand. I attach a metal to Trapinch and pass. Cascoon fails its power so he uses Wally's to get Dustox EX he has no more energy, so its my turn. I draw candy. :biggrin: I candy into Flygon δ attach and delta supply, play a Desert Ruins, and swift for 60. He attaches an energy, plays a Mysterious Fossil, (?) and uses silver wind for 40. I set up another Flygon on the bench with 3 energys and use swift for the KO. (ruins made this possible, a last minute addition to the deck. :cool: ) He stalls with his extra 2 Wurmples and charges his mysterious fossil. After I take 2 more prizes he evolves into Aerodactyl LM and knocks me out thatnks to weakness. I bring out my second Flygon and swift. He attacks for 80, and I use swift for the KO. He has no more pokemon, so its game. We played another game for fun after that and he won.

1-0

Round 2: (forgot name) with Metanite.

I already knew that I had a good chance to win this one due to my resistance to lightning. So I was relaxing. I start off slow with a Trapinch that ended up getting 40 damage due to hook and twister. I evolve into Vibrava and attach. For some reason he cant get any candys, and Dragonites, or any Metagross. So he uses twister for 6 TURNS. every single time landing on heads. :nonono: I finally evolve into Flygon, candy another Flygon, attach, delta supply, delta supply, and use swift for the KO. He ends up stalling for a turn getting a Metagross. Still with basics on the bench. He had 3 energys IN PLAY. I had a Flygon with 70 HP left and 2 metals. He realizes that discarding all of his cards from crush and burn would leave me with 10 HP. He does it anyway. It takes me 2 turns to knock out Metagross because swift over-rides resistance (and weakness, which was a downside later) He realizes he cant do anything, so he concedes when I could of knocked out his last basic next turn. I never saw Dragonite once in that 20 minute game.

2-0

Round 3: Matthew B. (MSB 5) with LBS

Heres the funny thing, Im in 1st, hes in 2nd, and were sitting at table 2. :confused: Anyway, I get off to an AWESOME start and go first. I know I can have a Pidgeot δ with a GL by T2. Except that he plays... Admin. I dont remember much of what happened except for getting out a GL'ed Pidgeot and a Flygon a few turns later. During that time, I attach a metal to Pidgeot so he cant manually snipe it with Steelix. And attach a grass energy, so he cant flick poison me. I continuosly use big bite on his Jirachi so I can get set up and I end up retreating to knock it out. At this point hes basically screwed. For some reason he uses Mew EX to copy his Porygon's confuse ray. Which would have been okay if I didnt have a metal, GL, and grass energy on Flygon. :lol: So he just starts playing everything and dropping everything because he know he cant win. He even told me that todays word was "crap" brought to us by Pee-Wee's Playhouse. He concedes and I win. GG

3-0

Round 4: Peter L. from Denmark with... Medicham EX/ Houndoom

Yay... my autoloss. Early in the game he has out a Jirachi and used wishing star to get (apparently) nothing good. He ends up getting 8 tails on coin flips in a row. ER2, ER2, sleep check, sleep check, reversal, reversal, ER2, sleep check. All failed. This clearly gave me enough time to set up. He finally gets a heads on the returning sleep check and a Medicham EX out in play. I had too many Flygons already charged with full health for him to cause any disruption to me, so I end up winning. I didnt even see a Houndoom. GG

4-0

:thumb: :thumb: YAY!! Im the only one to go 4-0 in swiss!! I find out that I have about an hour before my T4 starts, so I head out with my dad into the rest of Gen Con. I ended up buying a Mew EX and Manectric EX. Which was stupid because everybody after the tourney was too arrogant to let me trade for 3 more... (I am going to sell them BTW) Wasting my moneys on those was the last of my moneys... :nonono: But on the plus side I saw the Mythbusters, saw some friends, and for some reason, saw my manager from work. :confused: My dad and I checked out the rest of the convention center before going back to the Poke-room 15 minutes early. When I got back the judges said that my sleeves had too many bumps on the back. (Huh?) So I had to run through a crowded hallway, buy sleeves with my dads money, and run back. Where I saw a guy in a banana suit. Neat.

T4 (forgot name) with Dark Slowking.

Remember when I said swift not being affected weakness was bad? Yeah... which meant Flygon couldnt knock out Dark Slowking while Vibrava could. Right know Im just too lazy to type, but I made a huge comeback in the first game. And ended up winning the first 2. So Im 6-0. Not bad.

T2 Peter L. with Medicham EX/ Houndoom.

Lets just say that he wasnt so unlucky this time. I got completely shut down and destroyed by this 11 year old Danish Worlds qualifier. I lost my first 2 games. Both of which I conceded 10 minutes in. GG So I get my 18 packs of cards and take a seat.

Props:
Coming in 2nd!
Going 4-0 in swiss
Going 6-0 until the top 2
Flygon δ and Pidgeot δ for being so DIABOLICAL
Mewchou for going 5-0 in swiss and getting 3rd in 15+ out of 17
Mewchou's daughter Alaria for getting 1st in 10-
Talking in a Danish accent for 10 hours
Getting Bannete EX in my 18 packs
That crisp, fresh Sprite from a vending machine

Slops:
Someone actually playing my auto-loss
Everybody who didnt let me trade for or buy a Mew EX
Alaria for getting a Mew EX in her box
Not eating all day

Last edited:
Awesome, congrats on getting second, realy cool deck BTW :thumb: shame I didn't know about it before hand:*( Seriously though well done.

Well hello again!

Nice meeting you at GenCon this weekend. (Congrats on getting 2nd):thumb:
I´ll just wanna make one thing clear to all, when you come from Denmark you´re not Dutch but Danish:tongue:
We like your idea with Fly-got (delta). NASTY :biggrin: Peter was really happy by getting such good competition.

Hope to see you next year for more pokemon.:pokeball:

The Danish Team

(We´re not all related)

GJ! Go Dustin!!! ok sry about that I know what its like your about to win it all... then... your autoloss shows up -__- is the face you will having any gj on second!

Mewchou told me you were going to play flygon pigeot. I am glad it played well for you. I played that same deck @ Nats. It has a few issues but it is pretty good if you face the formats most popular decks. There are other auto losses besides cham like batttle frontier locks (mewtric, hariyama) and secret.dec. I faced 4 (1 hariyama, 2 cham, 1 mewtric frontier lock) of these at nats so it was a long day! The swift attack (no weakness) and colorless weakness also hurt against queen. They just pigeot swarm and you lose!

Last edited:
A game that I played at Gen Con was vs Mewtric and I actually won! (they didnt get their frontiers and I took advantage as soon as they didnt use disconnect. ^^) And besides, my Desert Ruins stayed out for 12 turns. :lol:

About Queen, the trick is to set up a Pidgeot δ with enough energys to attack. They use Pidgeot to knock out Flygon, you use rotating claws for the KO. And I usually have another Flygon out or not enough damage on one for Pidgeot to knock it out.

Back