Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unofficial Pokemon Magazine Copyright Question...

pokemandan

Hey,

Just a small question that I hope someone around here could help me with :)

Over here in the UK we have a monthly magazine which advertises itself as completely unofficial and non-related to Pokemon whatsoever and is full of copyrighted images of Pokemon, the games and cards. I was just wondering how they are allowed to make money from something that contains images with such tight copyright attached to them? Is it because they carry the clause of being 100% unofficial?

Just wondering because a future project of mine may be influenced by something similar to this issue.

Thanks a lot to anyone that can help me out,

Dan

Last edited:
Google the First Rule of Fight Club. That's the answer you need to hear.

I think the bottom line pretty much is that they are open to a lawsuit by TPCI; whether TPCI wants to bother wasting money and resources to go after them, that's another story.

They may pay a fee to use the copyrighted material.

If they did then they would be legally allowed to use the images, but would still be "unofficial" as the actual magazine content is by people who are in no way related to the actual company.

Yeah I think I remember being told that they have some kind of arrangement.

They don't just go ahead and use the copyright stuff without any permission.

Yes, obviously you just "don't talk about" a nationwide magazine.

They probably just pay a fee to use it? How did Beckett get away with it for so long?

But if they pay a fee wouldnt it be official?

or is it unofficial because its not a Pokemon/Nintendo company?

Yes.

It's an independent magazine that has permission to use Pokemon images. It's not an 'official' publication of Pokemon/Nintendo.

Back