Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unown G (AKA The Poke Professor's Headache)

richie910842

Unown G is a great card, but also one of the most confusing as far as what he does and doesn't do. I have a few examples of situations that have been bugging me.

His attachment as a tool: Most cards and rules make it pretty clear the game wants only one pokemon tool on a pokemon, all pokemon tool cards say to attach it to a "pokemon that doesnt already have a pokemon tool attached to it". We've also seen a few loopholes to this apparant rule (Porygon-Z being a very blatent offender). So does the fact that a pokemon power is attaching him circumvent the one tool rule? Can he be attached to a pokemon that already has a tool? If so, must the old tool be discarded? Can a second tool be attached to the same pokemon after Unown G?

Damage Counters: Does placing damage counters (Ala Dusknoir for example, hard feelings or damage even, take your pick) count as damage or an effect of an attack? everything I've ever heard or practiced has held the latter as true, but I recently got into an argument with a friend abount a Hard-Feelings dusnoir attacking my G-protected Dialga, so I would like have this issue resolved, by a pokeprofessor, if possible.

Deflection or Negation: This one also came up in a recent game, though with a different friend. I was playing a Gardevior Lvl X deck, and my opponents benched pokemon had 60 hp Remaining, I had a 50Hp Basic on my bench. I attached an Unown G to said basic and used Bring down. My opponent said that while the effect of the attack cannot knock out my basic, Unown G is preventing the effect entirely, and his 60 HP pokemon cannot be targetted. I told him that Unown G made my Basic an ineffective target, and he could not be selected, and the next lowest HP in play was 60, From which I could select his benched pokemon. This calling had actually been made in my favor by a judge at last year's (Florida)States tournement) He told me that they had recently made a large ruling online that revamped what unown G did and didnt do, and that that ruling was no longer valid. Which of us is right?

Lol, some of the recent answers have just now gotten my girlfriend and I argueing about Platinum Manectric. She's saying that he'll prevent damage counters from being dropped onto a non-manectric benched pokemon (lets say dusnior's damage even is being used here). Im saying that it doesnt count as damage and circumvents manectric, she says that damage is still bein done and manectric says all damage without an reference to whether it comes from an effect of an attack, so its prevented. Who's right?

Last edited:
It's in the Rule Book in the Glossary) that you can only attach one Tool to a Pokemon, so it doesn't have to be on each card. Those cards that have it, it's reminder text.

As for Porygon Z, I'm not sure what you're talking about. If you mean the Poke-Power Install or the Overload attack, those refer to Technical Machines, not Tools. Not the same thing.

Placing damage counters is prevented by Unown G.
This, and similar questions, were being asked so often, we put a stickied answer to it at the top of the Ask the Rules Team forum:

http://pokegym.net/forums/showthread.php?t=89491

Your opponent is correct. Your basic was a valid target for the attack.

Edit: Thunder pointed out something very important that I missed! Unown G won't protect from your own attacks!
You 50 HP basic would be KO'd!

Check out the Compendium section on Bring Down:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/compendium-lvx.html#211

Porygon-Z (I assume you speak of the promo one) moves Technical Machines around, which are not Tools. Unown G counts as a tool, and does not circumvent the "one Tool rule".

Placing damage counters is an effect of an attack, and is prevented by Unown G. Damage is prevented by Unown G. A good rule of thumb is that if the damage is represented in tens, (this attack does 30 damage... etc.) it's damage, and unprevented. If it's in ones, (put 3 damage counters... etc.) it is placing damage counters, and IS prevented.

Well, first of all, Unown G was errata'd to NOT prevent effects of your own attacks, so the pokemon would actually be Knocked Out in your example. If an Unown G was attached to your opponent's lowest HP basic though, then Bring Down can only target that pokemon (or any pokemon that share the same HP), and thus the attack will do nothing to that pokemon. It is not ignored when deciding the appropriate target.

Oops, Ninja'd

I actually think that Unown G is pretty easy to understand. Just ask yourself these questions.
Is an attack being done?
Is the effect being done on the pokemon with unown G attached to it and not another pokemon or the opponent.
Is it anything other than damage.
If the answer is yes to all of these than Unown G prevents the effect. Unown G prevents bring down, but you do not get to choose the pokemon with the next least HP. You choose a pokemon with unown G. The attack does nothing.

Thanks to both of you, you've cleared a lot up, and hopefully prevented me from making game-losing mistakes (and allowing me to hold my ground when my opponent does)

PokePop, the compendium you refered me to for bringdown, is it LVX by a freak coincidence of roman numerals, or is it labeled such because its specifically supposed to deal with Level-X's

:psychic::dark::psychic:___________________________________:psychic::dark::psychic:

BTW guys, check my top post again, a new question about Manectric and DC droping has just popped up, lol

Last edited:
We just named each generation of the Compendium by the "top card" of the generation it was started in.

The first one is "the Compendium".
The second one is "the Compendium ex".
And the current one is "the Compendium Lv X".
I expect when they rotate the DP block out of Modified, we'll move on to "The Compendium Legend".

To answer your latest question, Manectric does NOT prevent damage counter attacks (Such as Gengar's Shadow Room, Dusknoir's Damage Even).

It's not confusing at all.

The rulebook itself says you can only have one Tool on a pokemon. Porygon-Z breaks nothing - he deals with technical machines not tools. ^^;

Damage counters are not damage, therefore protected.

Unown G doesn't protect you from your own attacks - only from your opponent's attacks. As a note, if the lowest HP pokemon in play is on your opponent's field and has an Unown G, the attack will plain fail. Why would it redirect? The lowest HP pokemon didn't change, it's just protected from the effect of the attack. Not rocket science or anything. D=

As I have said before, the redirection call was made by a judge last year at states. While I've had a Professor in this thread (as well as several others, lol) deny this being good call, up until this point, who am I to question it?

BTW guys, check my top post again, a new question about Manectric and DC droping has just popped up, lol
Word of advice re forum etiquette: You're better off making a new post for the new questions.
No one sees an edited post as a "new post", so it's likely to get missed and not answered.
Plus, someone coming in late to the thread sees your new, edited post followed by a lot of posts that seem to be ignoring what you've said, so it's just bad form all around.

My apologies, I'm kind of new to forums and internet threads in general, Ive been committing a few fague pass (yeah, I know Im not spelling that correctly)

As I have said before, the redirection call was made by a judge last year at states. While I've had a Professor in this thread (as well as several others, lol) deny this being good call, up until this point, who am I to question it?

This actually is a difficult ruling, regardless of Tangrineth's opinion of it. :smile:

There was some discussion in the Rules Team before the correct ruling was settled on, so I could see a Judge making the wrong ruling.

It was, however, the wrong ruling and I'm not just saying that as a Professor, but as a member of the Rules Team, the group that works with Pokemon R&D to publish the official rulings that are found in the Compendium.

Wow, how do you even get started working with pokemon R&D? Doesnt sound like a bad place to eventually end up. What were some of the aspects the made the ruling so difficult, and the redirection ruling almost win out?

I tried to take the professor exam shortly before the mentioned ruling happenned, and a bringdown/unown g scenerio was one of the multiple choice answers. I didnt select it (must've been following Tagrineth's train of thought). Still, having a judge call it and knowing for a fact that it was one of only four possible correct answers eliminated all doubt that it was right until now. Still, I've always wondered how the train of thought that lead to it worked . . .

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Needless to say, I didnt pass. Im re-studying and learning what I can (thanks again for the compendium link pokepop) and hoping to try again after regions this year

Last edited:
Wow, how do you even get started working with pokemon R&D?

The basic background of Team Compendium is found here:
http://compendium.pokegym.net/history

What were some of the aspects the made the ruling so difficult, and the redirection ruling almost win out?

The crux of the issue is whether the protected Pokemon is a valid target and the effect prevented, or if the prevention of the effects makes it an invalid target and therefore a new target must/should be chosen.

The correct answer is that it is still a valid target and the blocking of the effect is not taken into account until the effect is applied.

Back