Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Unrandomness on PTCGO?

Ness

Some friends & I seem to think that sleep flips (at least with baby Pokémon) flip more tails than heads. Has anyone else noticed this?

Last edited:
Threads about randomness, be it in regards to Redshark, or pull rates, or what have you, tend to generate a lot of confirmation bias. Could you record some data to back up your observations? How much "more" is more?

While i do respect you as a member of the community, im going to respectfully be suspicious until i see any proof in the coding of PTCGO.

I have heard many times 'I don't play flippy cards because i hit tails a lot'
No, that's not true, your just being unfair. Because every time you hit a tails it seems like more of a big deal than every time you hit a heads, it may seem like it happens more, but it doesn't.

Pajamas/Gallade: This is a computer program, there is no actual "randomness" its a valid question.

Actually there are ways of writing a random program, but the standard random function in most computer languages is not random. If they spent any time at all, they could make it truly random.

Pajamas/Gallade: This is a computer program, there is no actual "randomness" its a valid question.

oh god, now we're getting deep.

seriously though, i would lol @ anyone else posting this, but i only brought it up because others pointed out the same thing to me as well! most likely just a coincidence, though. ;)

If we actually started a conversation about 'true randomness', never mind don't want to think about it :p

I didn't mean to suggest that it's not a valid question, but rather that it's not a particularly useful conversation without some data.

I feel that the shuffeling is weird.
It most times gives me back at least 2-3 cards I had prior to a shuffle (when mulligan or PONT).
I know because there are several card I only play 1 copy and I get it back time after time.

As for the flipping I don't know, I am so used on getting tails irl I am always suprised by a heads.

It they are truly programmed for randomness it would be random. In reality you can have streaks of tails and heads.

But they could have programmed parts as pseudo-random.........

I have played many games on PTCGO, what I have noticed about flips is at certain times the odds are off greatly. I always pick tails to start, and will to continue to prove this point, but only go first about 20% of the time (2 out of 10 games). Then with tyrogue/cleffa attacking, 80% of the time, the flip is tails then heads.

Last edited:
Some friends & I seem to think that sleep flips (at least with baby Pokémon) flip more tails than heads. Has anyone else noticed this?

I've had games where I can't flip a heads to save my life and others were it seems like I'm flipping a coin with two heads.

I just made 4 mulligans in a row – but that's not the strange thing.

The program always*put back an RDL piece as the last card, which was most surprisingly the first one it drew afterwards (even if the rest of the new hand was different).

I just made 4 mulligans in a row – but that's not the strange thing.

The program always*put back an RDL piece as the last card, which was most surprisingly the first one it drew afterwards (even if the rest of the new hand was different).

Hahahaha, I've got one better. My Blastoise/Floatzel/Beartic runs 12 basics, and I Mulligan status 6 times in a row. With 12 basics, the rate should be rather low, but I guess the TCGO has another idea.

But still, I'm convinced that the program is completely random. A truly random program is able to generate a pattern at a very low, but existent, probability.

I've prized 3 copies of a card on about five occasions now. Now, having this happen once is extremely improbable, but five times over the course of probably 200 games is a bit absurd. Still, I could be just that unlucky; it's hard to tell.

If you ask a group of people to spread out in a random pattern from the center of a room... They will most likely be a equal distance from the middle.

That is not truly random. A truly random pattern repeats itself.

I've prized 3 copies of a card on about five occasions now. Now, having this happen once is extremely improbable, but five times over the course of probably 200 games is a bit absurd. Still, I could be just that unlucky; it's hard to tell.

My quick math says there's about a 1 in 34220 chance of prizing the same three cards. (assuming you run only 3 of them, not 4 of them)

Now, for that to happen in 5/200 games is 1/40

So that means the:1/34220 chance is happening 1/40th of the time.

You have some bad luck, or perhaps the game is a bit unreasonable, one or the other. I lean towards your luck being bad though.

i wish the baby pokemon rule was like with the old school cards... you have to flip a coin to go through like heads attacks tails it does jack nothing...

I see a lot of tails for opening tosses and have thought on more than one occasion that baby flips heavily favor tails, then heads. Granted, I've had a couple of "bad" streaks not go my way, but for the most part, it seems to favor babies. And, I've noticed a lot of weird mulligans as well. I'm running 10+ basics and when I mulligan, I usually hit multiple mulligans at once...strange.

Back