bangiras

bangiras said:
"14.1.6. Unreleased Cards
With the exception of basic Energy cards, cards acquired prior to the
regular retail release date of a set may not be used in a sanctioned
tournament, even if the card is a reprint of an already legal card. This
includes cards acquired at a Prerelease or from the Japanese equivalent of
the set."

My question is, does this rule apply to ALL reprinted cards, or only to the ones that are reprinted with different artwork?

Thanks, BDS, for responding in the other thread. I should explain, I'm mainly concerned about the effect that this ruling has on Japanese cards.

Up until now, we've been able to use cards from unreleased Japanese sets in sanctioned tournaments, provided we have a Local Language Reference. A relevant example is the Dragon Frontiers theme deck print of Holon Mentor. Many players use it, and have been using it since July, because it's so much more accessable than the English version. According to the quoted ruling, all of those DF Mentors are now illegal, at least until November--and that's assuming the card makes it into the English set.

An important thing to note is that the DF print of Mentor is identical to the DS print. I can completely understand banning REDESIGNED cards up until their English release, because otherwise both players are taking it on faith that this equals this. I can even see banning the English versions until their official release, since a player might try to throw their opponent off with the unfamiliar card. However, it seems somewhat extreme to distinguish between these guys.

What really worries me about this ruling is that many Japanese cards have different set symbols than their English counterparts. Take these cards for example. The Japanese Mary is from Unseen Forces, but the average deck checker wouldn't know that. They'd see the strange set symbol and assume the card was from an unreleased set. How can the player prove that the card is legal? Or is it the deck checkers' responsibility to familiarize themselves with all of the Japanese sets, so they can tell what's legal and what's not?

I just want to know what's banned, what isn't, and what steps PUI wants tournament staff to take in order to enforce the new rule. Thanks, guys.

You make good points.
I was thinking the same thing about Medicham ex which was released in a minideck in Japan and also has a set symbol that is not used in the US.
We'll try to nail down this issue along with the other reprint issue (text changes).

We'll dicuss it internally. There's a few other tweaks that I'd like to make to the Tournament Rules and if we decided to do so, this would certainly be one of the tweaks we'd consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back