Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

US Nationals seniors 1st place report

GengarPwns

Note: If you battled me in Swiss or top cut and remember something I forgot, please PM me so I can update my report.

Thursday
My dad and I arrive at the hotel at around 3pm, drop off our luggage and go down to the lobby to play a few games. We meet Thomas Arena and Johnny Blaze, Nick, Logan and John Michael, who were later going to see the arch with Jordan and Arianne. We take the MetroLink one stop and go to see the arch. We walk over to the arch and take the Tram ride to the top.
Later on we all go out for pasta and then back to the hotel, play some more in the lobby, and then to bed.

Friday
We walk down to the convention center with the Chimentos and Thomas, play a couple of games in league, register for the modified tournament, and the event starts before we know it. I end up going 7 – 0 and winning a box (Platinum, Ugh…). I feel more confident about my deck.
After that we’re back at The Holliday Inn Select, I go to the pool with the Chimentos while my dad goes shopping at the City Market for food for the next two days.

Saturday
I find my place on the roster and sit in my assigned place waiting for deck list collection. I play a couple of fun games with Aziz while waiting. Finally pairings are posted and I go to find my seat.

Round 1 vs. new player w/BlastCatty/Roserade GL
He runs no unown G or Claydol so had little chance. I win.
(No Fainting spell flips)
Record: 1-0​

Round 2 vs. Kid w/LuxApe
I get a fast start and start KOing Pokemon on his bench. I take a 5-1 prize lead but for the longest time I have my Gengar active and he has an Uxie on the bench.
Earlier, I wasted one Crobat that I didn’t need to play so I can’t one-hit the Uxie. However, my Gengar has 90 damage on it, and if I shadow-room his Uxie, he’ll realize that he can just Psychic Restore, put his Uxie under and avoid Fainting Spell. Instead I shadow-room his Lux X. He proceeds to KO my Gengar with bite. Fainting spell for the win…… Tails.
Now I’m left with 2 bats and an Uxie. I get dead draws and he proceed to sweep with Luxray until he evens out prizes at 1 – 1.
In my hand: 2 candies, Claydol and Gengar and call energy.
I draw… Luxury ball! I use it to get Baltoy, bench it, and candy to Claydol.
I announce Cosmic power. He looks at his cards, thinks about it for a few seconds, and says “Go ahead” (no spray, thanks god).
I draw 4 to get Roseanne and night maintenance; I night maintenance for Gastly and a :psychic:, use Rosie to get them in my hand, play down Gastly, candy Gengar, attach the energy, retreat Crobat for Gengar and Shadow-room the Lux X for the win. Nail biter. GG.
(Fainting spell flips: 1 flip, 0 heads )
Record: 2-0​

Round 3 Vs. Andrew K w/LuxApe
He has lone Uxie, I have a bat, Gastly candy Gengar and :psychic:. I proceed to T1 him.
(No Fainting spell flips)
Record: 3-0​

Round 4: Vs. Christian M w/Palkia Lock
I open with Gastly and he has Honchkrow to start. I attach :psychic: and pitch-dark.
He uses Honcho’s command to get power spray and e-gain. Next turn I candy Gengar and Poltergeist for the KO.
I charge a nidoqueen on the bench while shadow-rooming a benched Palkia, and Ruthless tail finishes the job. GG.
Record: 4-0​

Round 5 Vs. Grafton R w/dark flygon
I get a good quick setup and he has a slow start.
I KO his Claydol and Weavile before he has a chance to guard them.
He finally builds up a flygon and a second Weavile, guarded this time.
He KO’s my Gengar, Fainting spell… Heads.
At this point I have a 2 – 5 lead in prizes. I am set up with a fully charged queen on the bench, so can 2-shot his flygon even if I flip no more heads.
He KOs my Gengar. Fainting spell… Heads.
I bring queen up and KO his active Weavile with Ruthless tail for the win. GG.
(Fainting spell flips: 2 flip, 2 heads )
Record: 5-0​

Round 6 Vs. (sorry I forget your name) w/Mother Gengar
We both have an OK start and he takes a 3 – 4 prize lead.
I get my pokemon guarded before him, which gives me the advantage.
I KO his guarded Gengar with Ruthless tail. He flips fainting spell… Tails.
He brings up his next gengar, plays a Gastly so he now has 5 benched.
He Poltergeists, I have one trainer so it does 60.
I play down Crobat G, flashbite his active Gengar and Ruthless tail for the KO. He flips fainting spell… Heads.
At this point I have a 1 – 2 prize lead. I candy for a second nidoqueen and sweep with Shadow-room. GG.
(Fainting spell: No flips)
Record: 6-0​

Round 7 Vs. Thomas A w/ Mother Gengar/Tech Luxray GL
I get a cruddy start and he sets up well. He KO’s my Gengar with Luxray. I flip tails with fainting spell.
He bright-looks Claydol twice while hitting the bench with shadow room.
Thomas out-plays me for the rest of the game and I lose. GG.
Record: 6-1​

Round 8 Vs. Kennan M w/speedrill
I start by KOing his Baltoy before he can guard it, and it’s downhill for him from there.
Record: 7-1​

Swiss fainting spell count
I flip 6 times and only 2 heads, both heads in same game.

Top 64 vs. Anna S w/dark flygon

Game 1:
She opens with Trapinch and I have Gastly.
I attach and pitch-dark.
She draws, attaches, plays Volkner for 1, and passes.
I draw lux ball, use it to get Haunter, Bebe for a Crobat, play Crobat to flash bite her active, poketurn and another flash bite, evolve to Haunter, and Hoodwink for the donk.

Game 2:
I have a good start, I snipe the bench while charging my Ditto on the bench. Even though I whiff on Fainting spell, I still get too far ahead for her to make a comeback. I win, GG.

Sunday

Top 32 vs. Geoffrey S w/LuxApe

Game 1:
I start with 2 Gastlys and he with Luxray.
After I pitch-dark, he attaches to Lux and passes.
I candy-Gengar, and evolve to Claydol and shadow-room his Luxray for 30.
He levels up to Lux-X, Bright-looks my Claydol, and attaches Unown-G. He then uses Crobat Poketurn Crobat for two on Claydol, and Poketurn the bat right away to avoid me sniping his Bat, I assume.
He uses Flash Impact, but without a bench, the 30 damage has to go on Luxray himself, who now has 60 damage.
I bring up my Gastly form the bench, evolve to Haunter, Crobat twice and Hoodwink for 30, the KO, and the game. Short game, and to the point.

Game 2
He mismanages his trainers and I manage to KO his pokemon one by one with Poltergeist.

Top 16 vs. Kennan M w/ Speedrill

Game 1:
Before he gets set up, I KO his baltoy and a Weedle. He scoops after three prizes, and announces: “This game is over”. (he prized Weedle, 2 Bees and Azelf)

Game 2:
He gets a super fast setup and starts to hit me hard. He one-hit KO’s 3 Gengars, and I manage to get one heads off of Fainting spell.
At this point prizes are tied at 2 - 2.
I bring up Nidoqueen and Ruthless tail to KO his active beedrill to take a 1 - 2 prize advantage.
He Cosmics for 3, hits a night maintenance, and uses it along with two flutter wings to recover a beedrill to, yet again, have 4 in play.
He one-shots my Nidoqueen to tie prizes at 1-1.
I bring up one of my two benched bats.
I take advantage of his BTS to get a second Claydol out, but the odds are against me since by now I realize that my last prize is also my last Gastly. Regardless, I’m holding on to a candy-Gengar.
I Cosmic once, 2 for 0, cosmic with my second Claydol, 2 for 2. I hit the night maintenance, and use it to get a Gastly back to my deck, and Bebe to get the Gastly in my hand.
I play down Gastly, Candy Gengar, :psychic:, Shadow room the benched Beedrill with the Power for 60.
He KO’s me with Band Attack.
Fainting spell… Heads. Yup, here it came in very handy :)
We have to play a sudden death match to determine the game’s winner.
Sudden death:
I open with Ditto and he starts with Azelf. He draws, attaches Grass and passes.
I attach a :psychic: to Ditto, play bat, poketurn, bat, poketurn bat to put 3 damage on his Azelf. I use Ditto to copy Lock-up. Now he has 50 damage, and can’t retreat.
Next turn I use lockup for the KO, and the game.

(Fainting spell flips: 4 flip, 2 heads )

Lunch:
I down a PB sandwich and get a cup of cut fruit at the deli place next door.

Top 8 vs. Ankur P w/Dialga lock
The whole thing is a bit of a blur, so Ankur, if you have more details, I’d love to update.
Game 1:
He puts a T2 Deafen lock on me and I can’t get anything going.
I scoop to allow more time for game 2 and hopefully 3…

Game 2:
He gets a tight lock again, but I manage to slip two Gengars before that.
I just shadow-room his Dialgas so he’s forced to use his Poketurns, but my Gengars are getting beat-up.
He manages a slight prize advantage the whole game, but eventually runs out of steam and I use Nidoqueen to sweep the rest of the prizes.

Game 3:
We have less than 20 minutes to play.
We both start by setting up well, and he has a lock from around the beginning.
He has a DGX out with 30 damage, and I have Gengar active.
I bring up Crobat, attach a :psychic: to it, and use Toxic Fang for double poison.
The next turn, I bring up a Gastly and attack with pitch dark, so now he can’t Poketurn his Dialga. Next turn, he retreats DGX for a crobat and I shadow room it on the bench for the KO.
This was a setback for him, but the match was far from over.
I am now behind 5 - 2 in prizes and there are only a few minutes left on the clock.
I ask Ankur to play faster since I really don’t want to lose on time. Him, being a good sport, speeds things up. At a few points during the game, Ankur could have easily stalled.
He plays down a crobat and flash bites Gengar, which now has 90 damage on it. He poisons my Gengar and deafens for the KO. Gengar goes down from Poison, so no fainting spell. I bring up an undamaged Gengar to replace him.
On my turn, I use crobat, Poke turn and play the Crobat again doing 20 to his crobat and I shadow room it for the KO.
Now prizes are tied at 2-2, and he uses Deafen + Poison Structure to put my Gengar at 60 (I have Nidoqueen in play and he has no DGX out).
I Shadow Room his Skuntank and time is called, he retreats for Bronzong G uses Galactic Switch, and realizes that he has an Unown G on it rather than an e-gain, he was planning on Poisoning me and then using Psychic Pulse to KO me avoiding Fainting Spell.
He passes. I shadow room the Skuntank for the KO and win on time.

Top 4 vs. Jacob T w/Dialga lock

Jacob is late for the match by a minute or two.
Game 1:
I manage to get a Gengar out but not much else.
I KO one Dialga G with Shadow Room.
He gets a trainer lock on me and I can’t get a thing going.
I scoop a few minutes into the game.

Setup: After I seven-pile my deck and shuffle, Jacob starts to eight-pile my deck. The judge reminds him that since he was late for the match, he cannot win on time. He hurries up and the game starts.

Game 2:
We both start well but he quickly gains a 2 - 5 prize advantage.
I poison him with Crobats, and he KOs them right away, so both are gone.
I eventually KO his active DGX, and he’s left with one Dialga G on the bench with 30 damage on it.
He attaches to the Dialga on the bench, brings up Crobat, and passes.
I night-maintenance for my two Crobats and use Rosie to get back one Crobat and a :psychic:.
I Flash bite his benched Dialga G with the bat, Poketurn, flash bite, poketurn, flash bite, poketurn, flash bite for 4 additional damage counters on Dialga, and for a total of 70 damage.
I shadow-room Dialga for the KO.
He scoops.

Game 3:
Time was called shortly after we start.
He draws, realizes he can’t do much, and scoops.

Top 2 vs. Lloyd W w/Dialga/Honchkrow/Gallade 4

Game 2:
I open with Gastly, him with Honchkrow.
I start, attach :psychic: and pitch-dark.
He uses Honch’s Command for Spray and e-gain.
I attach to Gastly, candy Genrgar, Poltergeist to KO his Honchkgow G.
He scoops.

Game 2:
I get T-2 Poltergeist again to KO his Honchkrow.
He brings up Dialga G, burns his trainers, so now he’s left with one card, attaches to Dialga and passes.
I draw, play Uxie, which gets sprayed.
I play another Uxie for 4, evolve by benched Gastly into Haunter, shadow room his Dialga G, he Topdecks the rosie for an Energy&Uxie, attaches and setups for 7, he hits the E-gain, and DGX and uses Second Strike for 50.
I evolve to Gengar, and Shadow room his DGX, he uses Second Strike for the KO Fainting Spell….. Heads (I have a Crobat and 4 Poke turns in my hand so even if I flip tails I can ko him with my next Gengar). I Shadow room his Gallade 4.
He scoops.

(Fainting spell flips: 1 flip, 1 heads, not game-crucial)

Top 64 total fainting spell count:
I flip 6 times and only 2 heads, again, both heads in same game.

Props:
New England doing great
Thomas goin 8-0 in swiss
Nathaniel making top 4
Noah making top 4
Duncan making top 32
Collin making top 32
Daniel making top 4
Aaron going 7-0 in Swiss
Ankur for being a good sport
Kevin making top 32
Kevin for sharing his Kettlecorn
Henry for making top 32
Great judging
SecretDeckTesting for helping me test
(If i forgot anyone let me know)

Slops:
Jon B getting DQ'ed
Con, Alex, Jon F, My dad and Gino all not making day 2
BJJ763 & co. not being able to make it

Last edited:
First. Great Job Aylam! One of the best seniors out there even after such a small amount of experience. Our fastest player to advance this way. What a winner man, keep it going for worlds; i wont be there to watch get on the big screen will yah?

I didnt expect much from this report at first. I still dont like Gengar and think its a really luck dependant deck which can only win if it gets around a few autolosses.

But after reading the last 3 Matches I'm really impressed, good job, really makes me thing^^
Beating 3 Dialgas in a row, wow, you really deserve it, congratulations =)

Love the nice and organized report. Great job, 1st at the biggest Nats in the world. :O

Also I'm really impressed at how you managed to beat 3 Dialgas in the final three matches. You did well and deserved the win. Hope to meet you at Worlds. =)

Well done Aylum.

Your inclusion of fainting spell usage in each match description is genius. For those who think that you may not have earned it, you sure have. You are one heck of a player and deserve the title.

You need to add props and slops....

Great job again!

Steve

Sorry, i don't remember perfectly, there were about 3 judges watching, so he must have used something different.
I doubt the judges would let it slip.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been waiting for this... :p

You really didn't lucksac your way through this. I'd have thought that during your top 8 match you were toast. Great job, especially since you faced 3 Dialga in a row. A lot of people got in top cut playing Gengar with no skill; you know how to play Gengar, not lucksac your way to victory with Fainting Spell. Congrats on the win.

nice report with gengar! sucks at luck with fainting spell, but that's how gengar is... hope you do well at worlds!

How many Chanseys did you play in your deck? (Everyone knows that whoever wins a major tournament always has at least 1 Chansey in their deck!).

Man you beat your worst matchup 3 times in a row to get this title you definately deserve it. Good job.

Geez, you play so... PERFECTLY. IT'S AMAZING.

Winning 2 States and Nationals in your first year... it makes me jealous. I think you are without a doubt the best Seniors player ever.

Is it true you played no Unown G? I can't figure out how you could possibly win the mirror without them...

Back