Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Usage of Dragonite-EX

jhnnymullen

I think it's a little slow for me. Are there any thoughts on how to use it properly? I would like to use it seeing how I don't want to waste such a powerful card.

Dragonite ex came in ADV 3 in Japan. Check nick15's site www.fakecard.com for a translation.

Since it is just a translation and has not been printed, many people haven't given it much thought (they are still busy trying to get a handle on R&S and in a few weeks Sandstorm).

Dragonite EX reads as follows: (from fakecard.com)

DRAGONITE-ex [150 HP]
(Stage 2 Colorless Pokemon / Evolves from Dragonair)
[PokePOWER] Calling
As often as you'd like during your turn (before you attack), you may
choose 1 Energy card attached to 1 of your Pokemon and move it to
Dragonite-ex. This power can't be used if Dragonite-ex is affected by a
Special Condition.
[WL] Dragon Wave (70)
Discard 1 Water and Lightning Energy attached to Dragonite or this
attack does nothing.
[CCCC] Ruin (120)
Flip a coin. If tails, this attack does nothing.
WEAKNESS: C
RESISTANCE: G/F
RETREAT: CC
38/54 Ultra-Rare #304 [Ryo Ueda]

This should go well with the Expedition Dratini/Dragonair, since they use WL in their attacks as well.

Ouch! Powerful. I would aim for Ruin if I played it -- it's basically a FTKO, except against some other EX's. It may be a Stage 2, but it would fit well in a Rain Dance deck.

Bah. It requires two different energy types (fixable with nonbasics, but nonbasics can get unreliable in large enough quantities). A two-energy 70 damage attack is nice, and its second attack... yeah, second turn with two DCE's seems tempting to build a deck around (if anyone's aware of the Timmy/Johnny/Spike trio, I'm a Johhny, someone who enjoys wacky, hard-to-pull-off combos).

It's slow, and it's a tank, and it manages to hit hard. Double resistance, apparantly, but either I'm reading that spoiler wrong or there's a colourless weakness (the heck? I thought colourless was special because nothing was weak/resistant to it?). I can see it being played in Modified or R/S Block, but IMO it's a bit slow. Not to mention its card disadvantage (you're using, at best, five cards for 70 damage, seven for 140, nine for 210, and so forth) and coin-flipping attack.

Raindance would welcome it, though, if Blasty didn't have a more reliable attack—statistically, you're doing 120 damage every two turns with Draggy EX, but Blasty does exactly that as well.

Very good job on the spoiler nick15 (wherever you are). a few cards already interest me:
Muk-EX (obvious reasons)
Energy Circulation device
Defense Charge
Kingdra-EX
Rayquaza-EX
Ampharos-EX

The weakness for Dragonite-EX still bothers me. I mean, there is no such thing as a colorless weakness unless this is the kind of weakness disadvantage that EX pokemon have. If that's the case, then I could understand.

yeah I just wanted to know some possibilities on the deck types for the "tank". i wanted to please the pack gods for blessing me with an ex holo after buying my first pack in so long.

Dragonite EX ain't that bad. Double Resistance, with Colorless Weakness. Not bad, but Chansey EX could knock it out maybe.

I'm looking forward to see what Kabutops EX would be like.
*makes evil smile*

That colourless weakness is a worry. However, I suppose the cards are just taking more towards the game. With dragons being weak to dragons.

However, this puts a great use to Chrystal Shard, a perfect TeCH if anyone needs it ^_^

Ultramew said:
That colourless weakness is a worry. However, I suppose the cards are just taking more towards the game. With dragons being weak to dragons.

However, this puts a great use to Chrystal Shard, a perfect TeCH if anyone needs it ^_^

Especially Slaking and Delcatty.
Oh lawd have mercy!

It seems like Nintendo is making the cards more Gameboy style. (more than one weakness, more than 2 attacks, 2 on 2 battles, etc.)

IMO...
Dragon Wave of this "tank" is powerful enough...
So try to combinate it with Swanpert(Hv i spell wrong?)...

So you can attach both Water energy and Lighting Energy in the same turn... Thus, you can have a very stable damage of 70 each turn...

Isn't that HP a little bit too high?
I never seen Pokemon with more than 120 HP and two resistance before. Is this Nintendo's idea?
They really changed the game this time.

Water Pokemon Master said:
If you think 120 HP is high, wait until you see the 200 HP Wailord-ex.
What does Blissey have? Thought they'd already printed it. Can't have less than 120 HP...

They have printed Blissey. It has 120. Apparently, the new version of the HP rule for card creation is no more than 120, unless it's EX. My guess is that they may eventually have EX Pokemon max out at 240, although 200 also seems like a likely maximum.

Last edited:
Then they would need completely new pokemon. Anyways, are you familiar with the 'EX pokemon' rules? The rules sorta make the insanely broken cards not broken :-D

Anyways, I laugh my head off if they made a Blissey with 100HP. ^_^ @ when one evolves that from BS Chansey.

Back