Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Venusaur DP3 = status king

fieryseraph

I have been rolling a status deck around in my head for a while, and when I came across this card, it all seemed to come together. He can add 3 different statuses from the bench, seems like it would fit nicely with a Swalot deck (especially if you get a couple going at once...).

Throw in a couple of Skarmory ex's to discourage them from retreating, and maybe a Toxicroak (DP2) to help keep them poisoned once they get that way, and it could make for some interesting possibilities.

I was also thinking it would be interesting to throw in a 2-2 darkrai/darkrai lv. X (DP3) line as a tech against big guys; they could peacefully sleep while they burn/poison to death, but that puts a lot of different types of pokemon in the deck, and cuts into my trainer line. So either I need to use a corsola (DP3) as a starter, or I need to trim it down. :-D

Anyway.... what do you guys think?
(spoilers below)

=============================
Venusaur L.51 – Grass – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Ivysaur

Poke-Power: Miracle Aroma
You can use this Power once during your turn. Flip a coin, if heads 1 of your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Poisoned, Burned, or Asleep. This Power can’t be used if this Pokemon is affected by a Special Condition.

[G][G][C] Giant Bloom: 60 damage. Flip a coin, if heads remove 4 damage counters from Venusaur.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 3
============================
Darkrai L.X – Darkness – HP100
Level Up

Poke-Body: Dark Shadow
All Basic Darkness Energy cards attached to your Darkness type Pokemon gain the following text: “If the Pokemon this card is attached to does damage to any Active Pokemon, that damage is increased by 10.” This Poke-Body can’t be used if another of your Pokemon’s Dark Shadow Poke-Bodies is already in effect.

[D][D][C] Eternal Darkness: 40 damage. The Defending Pokemon is now Asleep. In between turns, the opponent flips 2 coins, and the Pokemon doesn’t wake up unless both are heads. If both are tails, the Defending Pokemon is Knocked Out.

Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: Psychic (-20)
Retreat: 1
============================
Corsola L.32 – Water – HP70
Basic Pokemon

[C] Everybody Gather: Search your deck for up to 3 Basic Pokemon of different types, and put them on your Bench. Shuffle your deck afterward.
[W][C] Spit: 30 damage.

Weakness: Grass (+20)
===========================
Toxicroak L.39 – Psychic – HP90
Stage 1 – Evolves from Croagunk

Poke-Body: Poison Sac
You opponent’s Poisoned Pokemon remain Poisoned even if they Evolve, Devolve, or Level-Up.

[P][C] Fist Spike: 30 damage. The Defending Pokemon is now Poisoned.

Weakness: Psychic (+20)
==========================

Sure it SOUNDS good, but flipping a coin for a status condition? No TY. Although he can stack things, it's too chancey(no pun intended) to rely on a coin flip to see if you can inflict a status condition. there are other cards that aren't stage 2 w/ more reliable poison.

Now, he could be a nice addition if you include swalot as a substantial line in the deck but his attack sucks as well, it does 60 damage and on average removes 2 damage counters.

I know the coin flip sounds horrible and risky, but if I can get 2 of them running it mitigates that a lot, and the ability to run it from the bench is insanely sweet; it cuts down on switches, and I don't need to commit any energy to them for them to do their job. Plus Swalot can add his own status conditions if I need him to. Also, if Darkrai puts them to super-sleep, I may be able to take an extra round if I need to to max them out on conditions before I bonk them with Swalot. Or perhaps I can work in some Holon Circles for the same purpose; either way I think the abilities' benefits are HUGE, and I don't think the coin flip warrants throwing it out the window right away. :-D

Last edited:
thats what they said about dark gloom and drozee with their status affecting powers. the difference is that the status only affects your opponent and you get to choose a status. personally its a nice change. besides the only reason vileplume d wasnt used was because it had to be up front.

problem with this deck is it cant beat infernape. anything in the active will be getting Koed while you are still trying to set up, by the time you get everyhing going they will have taken 2-4 prizes, then they just clean up with delcatty

I don't think it works with Darkrai, its effect from Eternal Darkness is probably self-referencing and you'll only get the effect if you attack with it.

Playing a stage one, a level X, and a stage two seems like way too much for a consistent setup. Try focusing on just venusaur...possibly venusaur swarm? Three for a vanilla 60 barely qualifies as "average", but with 2-4 venusaurs in play, that 60 easily turns into 70-90 via status (not to mention a **** of a time staying alive).

here's my list. it's in the works, but i don't think Darkrai would work in the deck (yours), cause his Body is useless and you have too many types

21 Pokemon:
4 Bulbasaur [2 CG Poison Powder, 2 SD]
3 Ivysaur SD
4 Venusaur [2 SD, 2 CG]

3 Gulpin CG
3 Swalot CG

1 Crogunk MT
1 Toxicroak MT

2 Skarmory ex PK

23 Trainer:
4 Windstorm
4 Plus Power
4 Rare Candy
3 Celio's Network
3 Castaway
3 Holon Mentor
1 Warp point
1 Night Maintenance

16 Energy:
6 Grass
4 DRE
2 Cyclone
2 Boost
2 Scramble

So the consensus seems to be that Darkrai won't fit the in deck... I suppose even with 4 holon mentors, the consistency factor would just be too unreliable. Shame, his attack is so great, and may give me a small prayer against infernape if I can keep him asleep. Hrmm... I guess I will have to up the count of the holon circles to tech against the Infernapes instead. Problem there is that they only buy you one turn usually. I like the Skarmorys for the infernape matchup too; No free retreat for you!

Last edited:
The only problem with the Venusaur IMO is that its much too flippy. I mean, it can only be positive, and you can stack with multiple, but it requires quite a bit of setup. He'd be GREAT as a tech for a Grass deck to sit on the bench and frustrate the heck out of people, but CG Venusaur is still quite a bit better, IMHO.

I'd say run 4-2-3 with the CG set, then tech in one SD Venusaur.

thats what they said about dark gloom and drozee with their status affecting powers. the difference is that the status only affects your opponent and you get to choose a status. personally its a nice change. besides the only reason vileplume d wasnt used was because it had to be up front.

vileplume d can use it's flippy poison power from the bench like venusr. people don't use it because cacturne pk is stage 1 and can guaruntee poison, plus cacnea cg has CFF

oh i must have misread the card. well it happens i tend to only scan over cards that i have seen and read them fast. well that brings to question why did no one play vileplume d then, cactune only came out this year and vileplume was out last year. beisides cacturn needs a stadium in order to pull the trick off.

Scott and Castaway are becoming necessities with the Holon Engine going out, Scott can guarantee Sidneys Stadium by turn 2 if you really need it for Cacturne, as opposed to a 50% chance of it working.

oh i must have misread the card. well it happens i tend to only scan over cards that i have seen and read them fast. well that brings to question why did no one play vileplume d then, cactune only came out this year and vileplume was out last year. beisides cacturn needs a stadium in order to pull the trick off.

I don't know, but I have 3 vileplume d and 2 or 3 gloom d RH if you want them.

Chromecatz said:
ya but cacturne PK has to have a stadium in play.

Well, the stadium is a double effect, it can clear your opponent's cursed stone or whatever stadium he has up and it allows you to put other dark cards in your deck to benefit.

I like the idea-
i think it would be fun to play-
4 venusaur
1 ariados
1 skarmory ex
3 swalot

4 mentor, 4 celios, 4 rare candy. SWARM VENUSAUR!!! :biggrin:

if you've got 2 venusuar powers each turn- thats a 25% chance you won't screw them with status conditions. and not just one condition- THREE of the things!!!!
a 1-1 ariados just to make things a little stickier for those free retreaters, swalot as your powerhouse.

Back