Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Very basic question

ccronje

Hi all,

I just started learning Pokemon TCG with my 2 sons and after going through the rules and attempting our first game I just have 2 question so far.

1. One of the cards we have is "Swablu". The only thing it can do is "Bind Wound - Heal 20 damage from one of your Pokemon" for the cost of 1 colorless energy. It doesn't have and attack that can do damage. My question is - is this an ability that can be used while the card is on the bench? Or is this some kind of "no damage" attack that that can only be used during an attack? (I'm asking because there is no label that says "Ability" on the card).

2. If my active Pokemon is paralysed (so that it can not retreat), can I still use a Trainer card to switch it with another Pokemon on the bench? I assume that the trainer card can still be used, because this is a switch and not a retreat? If it does switch to the bench, the paralysis and damage falls away, right?

I would much appreciate your help with this.

Thanks

Chris

1. It's an attack. Not all attacks do damage.

2. Yes. Switching is not the same thing as Retreating even if the end result looks the same. Moving a Pokemon to the bench removes all Special Conditions (such as Paralysis) and all attack effects.

No problem.
Just a note for future reference, the "Ask the Rules Team" forum would be a better place to ask rulings questions like these.

Just thought it was worth noting that when you switch to the bench, while paralysis and any other special conditions go away, damage remains.

Back