Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

VG Nationals Tip of the Day - Rasing Pokemon Techniques

mysterioustrainer

So you are racing to get your Pokemon up to level 100, but trying to find the fastest way to raise them well try these techniques for starters.

Rules on earning experience points:
Pokemon gain experience by 1x their normal rate if they are trained by the trainer who caught them. (To check this compare the OT Name and ID Number of the Pokemon to your own on your trainer card.)
Pokemon gain experience by 1.5x their normal rate if they are trained by the trainer who did not catch them. However their stats are not as greatly increased as that of training your own Pokemon.
Pokemon Day Care: For each of your Pokemon at a Day Care Center, they earn 1 ep for every step you walk. However it costs you $100 + $100 for every level it gains as it is at the day care. Also it automatically replaces the top move with every new move learned. Not a good way to train any Pokemon except for Ditto.

Items to help boost the levels.
EXP. Share: Attaching this to one of your Pokemon will guarentee this Pokemon at least half of the EP earned in a battle even if it doesn't share a part in the fight. You will find this a very useful item in almost any situation.
Rare Candy: This item automatically increases a Pokemon's level by one per Rare Candy used. However its stats are not as dramatically increased as naturally training the Pokemon. I never use this item if the Pokemon I am boosting its level is to battle for me. This is more of a ultility to evolve a Pokemon so you can add it to your Pokedex if you are trying to catch 'em all.

Good Trainers to face to raise each of your Pokemon:
Mt. Battle trainers 91-100 (In Pokemon Colosseum Story Mode and XD: Gale of Darkness): These trainers have 65+ level Pokemon. Although you must fight 2-on-2 its still a great place to harvest Pokemon. If you are just training one Pokemon make sure you use EXP. Share and keep that Pokemon out in every battle to direct most of the EP to that Pokemon.
Elite Four and Champion (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald): Levels range from 45 to 58, and it takes about 30-40 times through to get every Pokemon from level 70 to level 100.
Steven (Emerald): Has Pokemon levels 70 to 80ish. However you can only battle him once. Make it count! You can find him in Meteor Falls but you must have a Pokemon that knows Surf and Waterfall to get to him.
Elite Four and Champion (FireRed/LeafGreen) They start around levels 40 through 63 however, after you explore all seven Sevii Islands, their Pokemon dramatically increase to levels 55 to 75.

Remember you cannot earn experience in Linked Battles, Colosseum's Battle Mode, XD:GoD's Orre Colosseum, Trainer Tower, Trainer Hill, Battle Tents, Battle Tower, or Battle Frontier.

Other notable mentions

Rare Candy is perfectly fine AS LONG AS YOU EV TRAINED FIRST!!!! it has no bad side effects once EV training is complete. The same is also true of traded Pokes.

Lucky Egg- An extremely rare item that is occasionally held by Wild Chansey (also on is given by completeing a side quest in XD) that gives your Pokemon 1.5x experience

other awsome places to train
RuSaEm:
Sky Pillar & Secret bases (mix records with people with high level pokes you can beat)
Emerald only- Gym Rematches (double battles!)

Okay I have had enough, no more abbrivations because alot of us don't know EV or IV. Now I probably will know what you mean once you clarify the abbrivations up but you are leaving even me confused with abbreviations.

Acutally the TV Reporter is always in the same three locations and they will always be in the same location you are in. They do eventually grow more powerful.

The secret base idea is golden!:biggrin: Get a few friends with secret bases together, mix records, and infinately battle each other's pokemon! there's only one downside:you can only battle once a day, but on the upside, you get 4 square battles daily, and for those who have emerald, you have the battle frontier!:biggrin:

Have any of you guys have two pokemon that have aboosted and one is a lower level but the lower level one catches up and gets stronger?

My milotic evolved at level 58 with a high beauty rate and it caught up to my level 74 mettagross
just like that .

now milotic is Lv 82 or 83 and my mettagross is Lv 77 or 78 (bad memory cause i got grounded and
i haven't played for 2 weeks.) :frown:

Alex said:
and for those who have emerald, you have the battle frontier!:biggrin:

Sorry Alex, Battle Frontier is not a good place to earn experience from simply because your Pokemon don't earn experience from battles in the Frontier.

Spectreon said:
Other notable mentions

Secret bases (mix records with people with high level pokes you can beat)

I enjoy using the Gym Rematches to train, but those are few and far between for me right now. I like using the Secret Bases idea, because two of my opponents have lineups of nothing but Lv. 100s and another trainer has three at the mid 50s, two at the low 60s, and a level 100. Thats a lot of good experience right there:smile: .

peace
phantom

mysterioustrainer said:
Sorry Alex, Battle Frontier is not a good place to earn experience from simply because your Pokemon don't earn experience from battles in the Frontier.
What the!!!!Grrr... Finally, i thought I had some good training in store and I'm proven wrong!:nonono:

Yes, the Battle Frontier is all about the battling not the training. As I said in my other lesson, Battle Frontier is a good place for testing your team but not to be earning levels.

to clarify on my abreviations, I simply meant in Ruby Saphire and Emerald you can mix records with buddies who have high level Pokes then battle them in their secret base on your game.

I didnt really get into EV or IV's, I simply stated that as long as you did EV train your Pokes, Rare Candy has no negative side effects.

Alex said:
you get 4 square battles daily
actually, I'm wrong!:frown: The only limit to the number of battles you can have a day is equal to all the secret bases into your game minus your own.In retrospect, that's a crapload of Effort Value training!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hehe....I quoted myself!

mysterioustrainer said:
Okay I have had enough, no more abbrivations because alot of us don't know EV or IV. Now I probably will know what you mean once you clarify the abbrivations up but you are leaving even me confused with abbreviations.

OK, I did not mean to offend you in any way when I say this, and if I did, I'm extremely sorry:
If you don't even know what the abbreviations IV and EV are, then you probably should not even write guides to help others. After just a quick glance over your material, I easily came across several errors, like your interpretation on Rare Candy, which is totally harmless after you have maxed out the Pokemon's Effort Value (EV).

Sorry if that sounded mean, I just had to get it out of my system.

Alex said:
actually, I'm wrong!:frown: The only limit to the number of battles you can have a day is equal to all the secret bases into your game minus your own.In retrospect, that's a crapload of Effort Value training!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

hehe....I quoted myself!

technically its unlimited, if done right. Once you battle all the trainers, simply mix records again and all the bases (old and new) will reactivate and be ready for battle

For those that do EV train, take full advantage of the bases. You can get up to 72 EVs in one stat if you meet the following requirements
A) All 6 Pokes you battle give 3 EVs to one stat
B) Your Poke(s) has a Macho Brace
C) Your Poke(s) has caught Pokerus

If you use the Vitamens and 2 trips thru an EV Base you only need 8 more EVs to max any particular stat.

I know some about the effort system, just that I don't use abbriviations! I also didn;t know maxing out a Effort Value on a Pokemon makes it immune to Rare Candy's negative effects. So yes there are things I didn't know but my time spreading advice is definitely not in vain. As it opens discussion and each other can compliment to my advice making VG Nationals Tips of the Day more a community project more than a personal thing for me.

Yes but EV or IV is just more recognizable by a larger selection of people. =/ Supose it doesn't matter THAT much, you can say "Effort Value" or "Effort Point" if you wish.

Spectreon said:
Other notable mentions

Rare Candy is perfectly fine AS LONG AS YOU EV TRAINED FIRST!!!! it has no bad side effects once EV training is complete. The same is also true of traded Pokes.

Lucky Egg- An extremely rare item that is occasionally held by Wild Chansey (also on is given by completeing a side quest in XD) that gives your Pokemon 1.5x experience

other awsome places to train
RuSaEm:
Sky Pillar & Secret bases (mix records with people with high level pokes you can beat)

That's what lucky egg does? I thought it was useless all this time XD. no wonder you can raise pokemon so fast.

Back