Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Viability of Dragon Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

0bserver

First off, my apologies if this is the wrong forum. Feel free to move it to the proper forum.

That aside, exactly how useful are the Dragon Pokemon in ADV3/EX: Dragons? I know that the Crystal, Shining, and other special type Pokemon were in great demand, but not played all that much. Are the new Dragons going to be used more, with the same type of multi-colored attacks and the Colorless Weakness?

Anyway, just curious to see what you guys think. IMO, this set, while maybe being more collectible than some, seems the least useful of the three released (R/S, Sandstorm, Dragons). I tend to collect by illustration or usefulness of attacks, with rarity in mind. What I found in Dragons was that most of the cooler illustrations were Rares or Holos. But that is just the way I collect, and my mindset is typically different from everyone else's.

Thanks in advance for responses. :)

Last edited:
Now, I think that the Dragons are like all cards: Some are terrible, fun, unique, decent, great, or even archetypal. Only Salamence (and maybe Rayquaza) would fit into the last category.

So, to answer your question: No, they aren't all that good. HOWEVER, like with all over cards, just gotta catch the right :pokeball:

To an extent, some cards that were released (Neo1 Lugia, Shining Charizard, etc.) were completely useless (or you had to be a complete pro to use them) because they required either one of the following:

1. 3 or more types of energy
2. High energy costs.

With the EX: Dragon cards, however, I tend to think differntly about them because they seem easier to use in a way where, although they require 2 energy types, the attacks are a lot cheaper to pay for.

I look at these cards like MTG. They are basicly a multi-colored card like in magic. So if you are playing a deck that uses red and blue in magic play a red and blue card. Look at it the same way here. If you play red-blue. Maybe try out a Salamence as the star of it.

Treecko

And guys, don't forget! Since Lady Outing's been out for some time, it'll become a STAPLE in these kinds of decks. With Salamence, you can fetch water and fire for the unimpressive attack, and with Flygon...well, energy shower says it all ;)

Another possible card to be used together with the Fair Lady Outing is Fisherman. Although the supporter effect is the main disadvantage. It is quite useful in the later game. ;)

Also the double resistance on some of the cards in dragons could change the game environment a little and not to mention some of the new EX Pokemon. :)

All I've seen were horrible. I don't expect that to change. I ask the card designers: why would we ever want to pay several different kinds of energy for an attack that other Pokémon would do better with just colorless?

Shining Charizard
RL: 20 damage

Base Diglett
FF: 30 damage

Aquapolis Furret
CC: 30 damage

Why one earth would anyone pay Lightning and Fire to do 20, when they could do 30 for two Fighting and avoid playing both types, or even do 30 for 2 energy of ANY KIND with Furret?

And look at Expedition Dragonite. Then, imagine that its attack cost was colorless only instead. Wouldn't the attack still be horrible - even when it could be paid with Boost Energy?

All multicolor attacks suck. The very concept of multicolor attacks is just stupid. What has it even got to do with Dragon Pokémon? Dragon Pokémon never were any multicolored in the GB games. They can learn many types of moves, yes - but then they could make Wigglytuff multicolored too.

Last edited:
To be truthful, most of the Shining Pokemon were pretymuch just for show and fun. They're very pleasing to the eye. The only shining pokemon I actually use is Shining Raichu in my water-thunder deck.
Although I'm STILL ****** about them not releasing Shining Mew ;__; it's so unfair! *sobs*

The reason expedition Dragonite has a terrible attack is because it has a good power. Furret has the good :colorless :colorless for 30 because it has nothing stronger.
Perhaps the reason Dragons are getting multiple attacks is because they tend to be able to use many different types of TMs in the GB games. Like they can learn Ice Beam, Flamethrower, Thunder.....
It does add and interesting effect to the game and some of these dragons are playable since they usually only require 1 of 2 different energies. There are also a lot of pokemon that only use 1 of their own type so Dragons can fit right in to multi-color decks, especially with their dual-resistances. I'm already thinking of ideas for these Dragons and there are many for some. Especially with Rainbow and Mulit. (Need Salamence) :D

Having a Colorless Weakness doesn't seem to be that bad. As of right now, Colorless is basically pushed aside except for maybe Uncommon Delcatty and Slaking... Delcatty can be overcome quite easily, and Slaking would KO you at 100 damage anyway.

As for Energy costs with more than 1 type... it all depends on the card. True, for the most part, the existing multi-typed attacks tended to not be great, but it can happen, especially with Rainbow Energy and the various means of finding Basic Energy. It will all depend on what decks and strategies these new cards will fall under.

There is nothing with multi-color attacks in dragons because : some of the attacks require two energy types rather than three and they can give high amount of damage. I could think that special energies such as crystal, rainbow and multi to be useful, especially the double rainbow energy card (if it will be released with the set). ;)

Also trainers such as Lady Outing, Fisherman and Power Plant Stadium card will have great use. Strategy is always the key. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back