Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Video Game at TCG League

So, next season we can bring a nintendo DS to league and battle on there. In the TCg there are ways to make sure everyone is playing on a fair and even level. In the video game however there are certain programs (Action Replay, Gameshark) that let people cheat and hack their way to higher level pokemon. What no league leader seems to be able to answer yet is how to prevent people from using these illegal pokemon in video game challenges at league.

League Leaders do have access to some tools to double check for certain types of cheats. If a player is found to be using hacked Pokémon, I am advising that players lose the ability to play VG matches in the league. If a player refuses to allow the league leader to check their Pokémon, this will be considered the same as being caught with hacked Pokémon.
Also players should be careful which traded Pokémon they use as they will be held responsible if that Pokémon turns out to be hacked.

If a player would like to check if a traded Pokémon is hacked, they can at least start here:
http://pokemon.marriland.com/platinum/pokedex
in order to double check the moves and stat parameters.

Checking for illegal hacks is relatively simple, a cursory scroll through of the party will tell you most likely. For legally statted hacks nintendo itself can't even figure it out so we are hopeless, but people will gain no advantage over those simply rng'ing or gts cloning and so it really doesn't matter. I'm starting up a video game specific league in Dallas and planning simply doing that unless there is a complaint, if it was up to me I would just allow legal hacks to allow more testing and variety, and if legal hacks are allowed people will have less reason to be dishonest about their hacking.

Last edited:
League Leaders do have access to some tools to double check for certain types of cheats. If a player is found to be using hacked Pokémon, I am advising that players lose the ability to play VG matches in the league. If a player refuses to allow the league leader to check their Pokémon, this will be considered the same as being caught with hacked Pokémon.
Also players should be careful which traded Pokémon they use as they will be held responsible if that Pokémon turns out to be hacked.

If a player would like to check if a traded Pokémon is hacked, they can at least start here:

If you do THIS at league, the league will be empty really soon. I seriously dont know a single kid that doenst have at least 5 shiny arceus, when you're a kid you dont care :/

So, next season we can bring a nintendo DS to league and battle on there.

Well, people have always been able to do this. Starting this season though, points are awarded for it.

greenlantern6119 said:
In the TCg there are ways to make sure everyone is playing on a fair and even level. In the video game however there are certain programs (Action Replay, Gameshark) that let people cheat and hack their way to higher level pokemon. What no league leader seems to be able to answer yet is how to prevent people from using these illegal pokemon in video game challenges at league.

I feel that the best POP can do is tell League Leaders/Owners that these devices exist and that they should 'look out' for them. I highly doubt they'd send special equipment to check the pokemon with, that is, if they even care. The main way that LL/LOs whom don't know about the video games are going to learn how to check for these things is probably going to be by listening to the suggestions the members who seem to know the video games the best have.

Biggie said:

I think that is quite a bit of a drastic measure to take, especially against a young kid (like stated in the post above). And, if a LL/LO has to get on a computer just to see if a pokemon is hacked or not, since computers are usually not available at most Leagues, the battle against hacks would already be a lost cause. Learning about the basics of the video game's mechanics either through online resources or through League members is pretty much essential for hack checking.

Alakalen said:
Checking for illegal hacks is relatively simple, a cursory scroll through of the party will tell you most likely. For legally statted hacks nintendo itself can't even figure it out so we are hopeless, but people will gain no advantage over those simply rng'ing or gts cloning and so it really doesn't matter.

Checking for illegal stats isn't actually that simple, since, to know what stats are wrong, one would have to know at least about base stats and how much a certain stat can differ between pokemon of the same species.

Alakalen said:
I'm starting up a video game specific league in Dallas and planning simply doing that unless there is a complaint, if it was up to me I would just allow legal hacks to allow more testing and variety, and if legal hacks are allowed people will have less reason to be dishonest about their hacking.

Noting that the prizes for video game battling are the same for those who play the TCG, and, other than the DS skins, involve trading cards, there wouldn't be much of an incentive to going there from POP. So be aware of this before staring this League.

The main incentive would be being able to play, and I know my base stats, and looking for the 510 limit broken is a little difficult, but looking for the 255 limit is pretty easy, just bring marriland or serebii or ****** and check the max stats at 50 or 100 or use a caculator such as metalkids if its somewhere in between

umm well its koffing in german, a competitive video game website, idk why its all **** and does the platinum guidebood really have min and max stats at lvl 50 and 100 based on negative positive and neutral natures, didn't realize they were open enough about base stats to put something like that in the book

or use the platinum guidebook...

'mom

You sure something like base stats are in that guide? I remember from the DP guide the best they gave us were the differences between the natures and places to best train your pokemon for certain stats (aka EV training by fans). I'd look it up myself, but there's no point going to buy a guide on something I already know all about. :/

Alakalen said:
The main incentive would be being able to play, and I know my base stats, and looking for the 510 limit broken is a little difficult, but looking for the 255 limit is pretty easy, just bring marriland or serebii or ****** and check the max stats at 50 or 100 or use a caculator such as metalkids if its somewhere in between

Like I stated before though, this would require going online, which, since most places don't have computers, would make it pointless to stat check (writing down stats, spending a night checking them all at home, and coming back next week to League with the results sounds rather tiresome for simple hack checking). What I did personally was I took and printed off a list of base stats from a database and I created a program on my TI-83 calculator which involved the stat formula, thus making a easy-to-access means to calculate stats while at League.

Last edited:
I'd like to offer this link that should help ID hacked event Pokemon: http://www.serebii.net/games/events-pkmn.shtml

I also suggest that if possible try playing the DS battle on PBR as it has a somewhat of firewall for Hacked Pokemon though it isn't prefect as I have seen hacked Pokemon used over Wi-Fi. Also It would make the battles more enjoyable and you might even be able to attract people as well.

Last edited:
well as I said in the discussion about the new league cycle - I plan on putting up a few rules for my league such as a level limit and banning the use of legendary pokemon (we'll actually list them all due to the controversy some of our players will give). But that's only if these rules do not contradict whatever Pokemon USA gives out.

POP has their own banlist.

Go by the EXACT rules when they're up in the Tourney docs at the site. It'll help prepare anyone serious about playing the VGC for Regionals and up.

Like last year, it'll probably be Lv. 50 doubles, 2-4 vs 2-4. Soul Dew WILL be banned. Other things you'll have to wait on, like the banlist on Poke's, and the rest of the items.

Please don't do either of the above things in your leagues, banning all legendary pokemon is rediculous as some pokemon like articuno are completely worthless whereas non-legends like garchomp are broken and should be banned in most cases.

Also don't limit it to just vgc play, for one vgc play is likely to change allowing all box-legends next year (hopefully not but probably so) so you don't know what rules to make them play by for starters. Secondly though the official tournaments are great they aren't really the most competitive play and you should really allow people to play 3v3 or 6v6 singles.

If you are gonna have a ban-list this is the most reasonable:

Mewtwo
Mew
Ho-oh
Lugia
Kyogre
Groudon
Rayquaza
Deoxys
Latios
Latias w/ soul dew
Dialga
Palkia
Giritina
Garchomp
Darkrai
Shaymin Sky-Forme
Arceus
Manaphy
Wobeffet
Wynaut

But really the best thing to do would be what the league sheet says, let the two players decide what rules they want to play with. If they want to play no rules ubers mayham let them. If they want to play with little babies in little cup, let them. If they want to play some competitve 6v6 singles, let them. If they want to play some nice uu, let them. Doubles singles whatever it is, just let the players decide and other than making people aren't just churning through for stamps don't be restrictive.

Also, if some of you are traders in some fourms, do your members a favor and give stuff out for free. Some redistributable such as Negator's Lati@s, Birds will be very helpful for many newcomers. If my league plans to expand the video game thing, I will distribute those redistributable things to newcomers for free.

I don't think there is a big problem with IVs at 31 or anything. At least that is now "possible", I mean, if I got beaten by a Azelf caught at Route 201, with no hacked EVs, it is not because that Azelf is a hack, it is because I misplayed and lost. It's just like using proxys at league.

IMO, start with a casual style, level is certainly a matter since there is no auto-level feature in local wireless. As said before, let them do what want first, then lay down the rules.

RNGing has made almost every legit combination possible. I have done them myself.

High level and 31 all IVs is not a matter, the big problem is EV hacking that goes beyond the 510 limit.
Below is a helpful tool that can be downloaded onto a laptop that can be used in place w/o wifi.

http://www.legendarypokemon.net/javacalc.html

Simply enter the Pokemon's level, and max out the IVs and EVs on a certain stat (Speed is often the big issue). So for example, a Weavile with a +Spd Nature, 252 EVs in Speed, at Level 100, will result in a 393 Speed. If that Pokemon has any speed larger than that, it is a hack.

Hopefully this sort of helps.

:confused: So our league is a TCG based league and are a little baffled about the video stuff. Basically yesterday was the first official day of giving points for video games played. Since there are no league rules established and the league leaders are not at all knowlegeable about the video games, it is a bit of a free-for-all. Obviously the more serious players know about hacks, ubers, EVs, IVs and such but the casual (but still enthusiastic) players do not. Without general league rules, perhaps the guppies will be eaten by the sharks, learn nothing in particular and just end up discouraged.

If you were going to develop some kind of structure that would encourage players to learn at least some of the complexities and still keep things fair while they learn, would you agree that some suggestions for league tournament rules should be posted? I dunno - pehaps have the players agree on a category of clearly posted rules? Maybe something like "Beginner": Nothing above level (50 or whatever), a list of banned Pokemon, moves, held items; to "Pro": using the published World tournament rules; to "Free for All" No limits? This is so new, it would be nice if we could all learn something and grow in the same way TCG leagues have always promoted for the card game.

It seems that the suggestions for checking hacked Pokemon at league might be too cumbersome to be practical? Thoughts on that? Right now I am leaning towards, don't bother for league but go crazy for sanctioned tournaments. However, that said, admit to not knowing enough yet to have an opinion...

A good place to start would be to find the VGC rules from the last couple of years, and use Marriland (or some other stat calculator) if you're ever unsure about stats or something like that.

I see no reason why players shouldn't be able to just negotiate their own rules before the match. I like MamaLugia's idea and think that it would be nice to have those "formats" available as a guideline. When you make a universal banlist for league, you're going to have qualms one way or another. Not everyone likes to play VGC format... I know MANY people who would rather play 6-vs-6 singles using Alakalen's banlist (which is the commonly accepted current banlist in the online competitive community), and I think it would be silly for the league to take a strict action such as refusing to sanction that game and not awarding any points for it just because it wasn't in VGC format.

As stated before, hack-checking, especially without a computer, can be difficult. Say you run across a Tyranitar that has 404 HP, which is its absolute max. Does it have an HP IV of 31 and 252-255 HP EVs, or does it have a lesser IV and an illegal amount of EVs (more than 255)? I wouldn't try to ban anyone who has a hacked Pokémon or anything like that. Inform league members that hacking is dangerous and is prohibited by official tournament rules, and that any game they link with may potentially contain hacked Pokémon. At the league level, I'd say that it would be up to the league leader's judgment as to whether something is obviously hacked or not (absurdly high stats, levels above 100, illegal moves, etc.), and if he or she deems that it is, that player will not be allowed to use said Pokémon on their team in a sanctioned league match. You can say in the league book that hacked Pokémon are not allowed, but if someone has a "legal hack" (a Pokémon that was hacked, but is potentially obtainable and trainable legally exactly as it is) that was created carefully and intelligently, there's really no way the league leader is going to be able to find out. I personally despise hacking devices and refuse to use them, but at the same time, I wouldn't really have a problem if someone used a team of legal hacks against me in a casual match, especially if they disclosed to me that they were doing so as we were negotiating our rules prior to the match.

Last edited:
Back