Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Vilgar reborn!(without gengar) hgss on

tjtoot

This has about the same strategy as vilgar but with hgss on.

Pokemon
2 mr. mime col
2-2 slowking(hgss)
4-3mismagius ud (poltergiest one)
3-2-2 vilplume(trainer lock)

total 20

t/s/s/
rare candy-2
cheerleaders cheer-4
pokemon collector-2
elms training method-4
copycat-4
twins-4

energy
6 grass
8 psychic

so the idea is to trainer lock with vilplume and then bring in mismagius to poltergiest. mr mime to look at hand, to see the number of trainers/supporters. slowking to make sure they draw trainers. rare candy for vilplume, useless if you get her early on. cheerleaders cheer to draw and make them draw their supporters. pokemon collector is obvious, so is elms, copy cat because they should have lots of cards in their hands, twins for a rough start

the main problem is supporters
i dont know what else i need.
also if i should run a 4-4 mismagius
also if there is a card that allow you to make your opponent draw cards

Sorry, it's not going to work. You'll be lucky if you ever even get as far as getting a Plume up. Not to mention, Emboar(or Typh)/Resheriam is going to wreck you, since they don't really need trainers. So will Donphan, Zekrom... hmm, come to think of it, there really aren't many trainer heavy decks anymore. Most of the decks that come to mind right now are quite capable getting a big fat lug out there with no trainer support, and proceed to ruin your day by pulling OHKOs, 2HKOs on your rather frail main attacker. I would find a better deck.

I think there is still a market for Poltergeist. Most of the lists I see have lots of trainers!!!
4 Comm
4 Plus Power
4 Junk Arm
2-3 Switch
Maybe some Dual Balls and Rare Candy (depending on the deck).
However I still see getting out vileplume being problematic, let alone setting up Slowking and mismagius.
As for cards that make your opponent draw?? Well, Cheerleader's Cheer is optional, so that wont work.
Spooky Whirlpool still works, but doesn't combo with Slowking..

Yea I'm not sure what DarthPika local meta looks like but most leagues are still heavy trainer.

Tho I agree your not going to get VilGar without the Gar.

Don't go by what you see at league. Most league players use bad-average decks, either by choice, or because they aren't very good at the game.

I stand by my statement that it's a horrible combo, and is not a good play. Vileplum is just too slow.

With Spiritomb rotated out of the format, you can't get Vileplumes out as quickly as you hoped on getting them out. VileGar was effective because you can lock their trainers throughout the entire game basically as long as you opened with Spiritomb T1.

^ Exactly. Now people will just use all their trainers before you even have a chance to lock them. It seems like you have to put a lot of resources to get out something that's not even going to work that great.

So you can't get a VilePlume up T2 with a rare candy, thereby locking the opponents trainers for the rest of the game? Those that say VilePlume is too slow to set up have not playtested the new format yet.

Time to think outside of this current format boys and girls, and realize the game doesn't begin until T2 for 90% of all decks now. Plume is even more viable if people go around thinking it isn't. Once Plume is set up, there is NO WAY to get rid of it since there is no way to bring it active.

2-2-2 Vileplume
2-2-2 Gengar Prime
2-2-2 Mismagius
4 Mew Prime
2 Mr. Mime

You can either Poltergeist or Hurl, your opponent picks the poison they want to take..........

Once Plume is set up, there is NO WAY to get rid of it since there is no way to bring it active.

Except for snipe attacks of course. 3HKO typically, but not improbable.

I did this at Regionals with my Yanmega Prime / Gengar Prime deck. Once you start laying damage on it, the opponent gets real nervous. If Gengar Prime places the last 4 with Cursed Droplets, the entire Vileplume line goes to the Lost Zone. BTS will be gone, so them Seekering it up to play it back down immediately won't be possible anymore.

(stupid comment about Pokemon Catcher removed...)

Last edited:
Oddish only has 40 HP, I kind of doubt they will Seeker it back up and try to rebuild it with your Gengar Prime active.

(And if we're talking about next season, don't forget the risk that Pokemon Catcher will be released after Worlds, to drag up Vileplume.)

Did you really just say that?

Oddish only has 40 HP, I kind of doubt they will Seeker it back up and try to rebuild it with your Gengar Prime active.

Agreed! It was a viable tactic pre-rotation (for Gyarados as well), but won't work going forward.

Did you really just say that?

Yeah. Realized my fallacy while reading something elsewhere, hurried back here....but you got me. :redface: Should have just ended it with my snipe argument.

The problem with this is that a Trainer Lock isn't that hard to play around. VileGar in the current format without Shadow Room, Gengar Prime and Gengar LV.X would imo. not be such a great deck. You need something else good going for you, and Vileplume/Mismagius just doesn't have that.

The problem with this is that a Trainer Lock isn't that hard to play around. VileGar in the current format without Shadow Room, Gengar Prime and Gengar LV.X would imo. not be such a great deck. You need something else good going for you, and Vileplume/Mismagius just doesn't have that.

To be honest, I think a trainer lock that can sit on the bench WOULD hurt the opponent (and probably the player playing it).

Without Bebe's Search, decks are deciding if they want to run Professor Elm or focus on Pokemon Communication. Stage 2 decks still need Rare Candy, even if it is changed. Pokemon recovery is almost 99% trainer-based now, with just Flower Shop Lady being a supporter. Plus Power, Switch, Pokemon Catcher (when it comes out), Dual Ball are more cases of likely seen trainer cards in a deck.

Like I mentioned, it would probably hurt the Vileplume player too, because they'd have to try to get their deck to work without all those great trainers, and there aren't a lot of options in HGSS-on.

To be honest, I think a trainer lock that can sit on the bench WOULD hurt the opponent (and probably the player playing it).

Without Bebe's Search, decks are deciding if they want to run Professor Elm or focus on Pokemon Communication. Stage 2 decks still need Rare Candy, even if it is changed. Pokemon recovery is almost 99% trainer-based now, with just Flower Shop Lady being a supporter. Plus Power, Switch, Pokemon Catcher (when it comes out), Dual Ball are more cases of likely seen trainer cards in a deck.

Like I mentioned, it would probably hurt the Vileplume player too, because they'd have to try to get their deck to work without all those great trainers, and there aren't a lot of options in HGSS-on.

I'll have to disagree with you. Supporters are far too superior in this format, and under a trainer lock the only thing I will be missing is rare candy and communication. These can easily be played around with enough stage 1 Pokémon and 2-3 PETM (which probably should be included anyway, at least two).Pokémon recovery is NOT 99 % trainer-based, not in a standard stage 2 deck. 1-2 FSL is staple, and lack of trainer recovery will only be a problem in decks such as Reshiboar. Stage 1/speed-decks (which relies way more on trainers) will set up faster and use Pokemon Catcher to take care of any Oddish/Gloom when it comes out. Remember a T2 Vileplume is NOT that easy to pull off, and I dare you to try it out before you contradict me.

Wait for Gothitelle...then use Gothitelle with Mismagius...

Ability: Magic Room
"As long as this Pokemon is in the Active position, your opponent can’t play any Goods cards from his or her hand."

Whats the point of having Mismagius if Gothitelle has to be your active?

I'll have to disagree with you. Supporters are far too superior in this format, and under a trainer lock the only thing I will be missing is rare candy and communication. These can easily be played around with enough stage 1 Pokémon and 2-3 PETM (which probably should be included anyway, at least two).Pokémon recovery is NOT 99 % trainer-based, not in a standard stage 2 deck. 1-2 FSL is staple, and lack of trainer recovery will only be a problem in decks such as Reshiboar. Stage 1/speed-decks (which relies way more on trainers) will set up faster and use Pokemon Catcher to take care of any Oddish/Gloom when it comes out. Remember a T2 Vileplume is NOT that easy to pull off, and I dare you to try it out before you contradict me.

The only thing you'll be missing is rare candy and communication, which in my opinion are huge cards for stage 2 decks. Communication is a huge card for every deck next season as it will be a staple and be played a lot more than it was this season, guaranteed. People can't rely on Professor Elm and just getting 1 pokemon each turn with it.

FSL is pretty lacking in my opinion. You can get back 3 pokemon, max, for the use of a supporter. I feel people will probably tech in some trainer-based pokemon recovery for the times they've already used their supporter for the turn.

Turn 2 Stage 2s are not that hard, I'm not even speaking of Vileplume. Sure, rare candy isn't as instantly quick, but it's not hard to lay 2 Oddish and rare candy whichever you don't drag up the turn after into Vileplume. The key to that is using communication to grab the vileplume without having to spend a supporter to go get it.

We can talk all we want about how we see the format working, but we'll both have to wait. Nobody is an expert in a format that hasn't even begun yet, and one's prior-to-september testing may not be as influential as they would hope it is.

thanks everybody. lots of good info here :)
ill most likely just make a new deck and use this one for league

Back