Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WA States Report. Just missed T16 finishing at 22nd

Loki126

Hi my name is Julian and his was my first competitive event I have ever gone to so I was pretty nervous not only the night before but pretty much the whole day. The week before I decided to play a Luxchomp variant more commonly known as Loxchomp (which I prefer to call lockchomp) but the testing didn't go very well and at the second before I had to go to sleep the night before I changed my mind and decided to take a deck I am more comfortable with, a deck that I knew I could do better with. I took Gyarados. Here is my list.
4 Sableye
4 Magikarp SF
3 Gyarados SF
2 Crobat G
2 Regice LA
2 Uxie LA
1 Uxie Lv. X
1 Azelf
1 Unown Q
1 Combee SF
1 Donphan Prime
1 Phanpy CL
S/S/T
4 BTS
4 Pokemon Collector
3 Seeker
3 Poketurn
3 Junk Arm
2 Bebe's Search
2 Cynthia's Feelings
2 Twins
2 Pokemon Communication
2 Pokemon Rescue
2 Expert Belt
1 Luxury Ball
Energy
3 Rescue
3 Warp
1 Fighting Energy

Round 1- Julian w/ Luxchomp
This is a great game that kept me on the edge of my seat as it goes down to 1 prize a piece. But the key play of the game was when he sprayed a crucial Flash bite preventing me to OHKO his Garchomp X. He ends up winning the game. GG

0-1

Round 2- Roberta w/ A Structure Deck?
This game does last long as she isn't using a competitive deck and I am. She wins the coin toss and she goes first by attaching a grass to her Chickorita and beching a phanpy she drew for turn. My Turn and I draw Pokemon Collector and use it for a phanpy, uxie, and unown q. of my own because i already have a BTS, Donphan Prime, Fighting energy and an Expert belt. I retreat my active azelf with the Q and Start plowing her PKMN w/ Donphan. She is able to get more basics on her bench but none of them can stand up to Donphan.

1-1

Round 3- Ann w/ Machamp with a 2-2 Donphan Line
She takes an early lead with her Machamp's (SF) Take out. But once I set up my Gyarados I Start 2HKO her Machamps while she avoids bringing up her benched Donphan. But in the end I end up take all six prizes with no resistance. Touch luck for Ann for facing an unfavorable matchup with my Gyarados.

2-1

Round 4- Asif w/ T-Tar

Once I see him flip over Larvitar my first response is to get out Donphan with a belt. I get Donphan T2 and use him to stall and take prizes while i set up the Dos. He takes 2 or 3 prizes on me but I took and early lead and kept steam rolling thru his PKMN and he cant keep up.

3-1

Round 5- Theron w/ Luxchomp and a Regigias tech

Another great game. I start out with only a karp and Combee. I start the karp and bench combee just in case. This game is a blur but I remember having out Donphan out as he desperately tries to get out Dialga X to shut down Excoskeleton. But he fails to do so and I win the game.

4-1

Round 6- Hudson w/ Dusknoir and a Flygon tech.

I met Hudson earlier in the day and chit-chated with him for a bit. I asked him what deck he ran but he was reluctant to tell me so I knew he was running a red face paint which made me want to play him even more. Lucky me I got to in round six. I start with a karp and combee again. He starts shiny duskull and uses perish song to KO my karp. Mid-game I'm fuzzy on but at the end time was called during my turn and I take my fifth prize which is a lucky poketurn because I had a Crobat G on the bench. It's his turn and he takes his time going over every possibility but is unable to take his last prize by knocking out my active Gyarados which has a Belt attached to it so he attacks and ends his turn hoping I cant know out his Dusknoir which has all of its 120 HP.
My Turn I draw and an irrelevant card and play down poketurn. As soon as he sees the Poketurn his whole body shows disappointment and he reaches over and shakes my hand and says GG.

5-1

Round 7- Nicole w/ Luxchomp

Finding out i was to play at table 2 got me real excited. Knowing I was going to play someone who was good and give me a good game. And believe you, me Nicole did not disappointment. We start the game and she flips over Luxray and I know immediately I have to get out Donphan, my MVP at this event for being a good counter to Gyarados's weakness and just being a overall good Secondary Attacker, I get out my Gyarados and we do a prize exchange for awhile as I get him back with rescue energies and pokemon rescue. But at the end I rely on Donphan and attach a belt to him. She tries to avoid making her Luxray active. She ends up using Blaziken's FB's Vapor Kick doing 60-20 for 40 because i have a Regice on the bench. She does this two turns in a row and I make a misplay by attaching a rescue energy to my benched Gyarados instead of attaching a warp energy to Donphan and switching him with gyarados and using seeker to pick up Donphan. But I forgot and she knocks out Donphan next turn and taking two prizes. I might've won this game if i would've thought it out before attaching rescue energy out of habit. But its my fault I lost this game and she deserves to win she played a great game and had a great day as she finished 6-1 and makes the top cut as a top5 seed I think.

5-2

I felt my good at my chances about my chances of making T16 as a low seed. But I finish 22nd just missing the top cut. I felt pretty disappointment about not making the T16 but i quickly get over and start feeling good about my 5-2 record because this is the first event I have ever gone to and both games I lost were very close and both players I lost to both made the top cut. I played well and made only one bad mistake. Not bad for a rookie huh? But anyways I had alot of fun and don't regret anything. The one big mistake I had just makes me want to play even more and to strive to be the best player I can be.

Props:
Meeting a BUNCH of great people.
Getting 3 Steelix Primes.
Finishing 5-2 at my first event.
Having some great games versus some great players.

Slops:
Missing top cut
Waking up at 5 AM
Not going to sleep until 3AM the next day (believe it or not I stayed up playtesting for regionals even though it is a month away)

Back