Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wally and T1 Supporter Rule

Otaku

Obviously not a pressing concern, but someone asked for ruling advice, so I thought I'd post the question here:

In the Unlimited Format, can you play Wally (XY - Roaring Skies 94/108, 107/108; Generations RC27/RC32) from hand during your first turn?

We all know that the current rules state that the player going cannot play a Supporter from hand during their first turn. Wally's effect reads:

Search your deck for a card that evolves from 1 of your Pokémon (excluding Pokémon-EX) and put it onto that Pokémon. (This counts as evolving that Pokémon.) Shuffle your deck afterward. You can use this card during your first turn or on a Pokémon that was put into play this turn.
At the time this card released, I know that the text about a player's first turn was just to address the usual prohibition against evolving first turn. So when I was asked the question, I answered "No, Player 1 cannot play Wally from hand during their first turn." However, I wanted to make sure that is the case. It isn't as clear cut as when you treat a classic "normal Trainer" as an Item card. Or understand that the "Allergy Flower" Poké-Body of Vileplume (HS - Undaunted 24/90) blocks what were defined as Trainers when it released, which are what we now call Item cards, as opposed to what all counts as Trainer cards now (Items, Stadiums, and Supporters).

Edit: ...but I've been horribly mistaken before, hence asking for a real ruling. ^^'

Last edited:
I'd rule that the player going first can't use it on their first turn because it was not an intent of the card to change when Supporters could be played. As you noted, it was to allow an exception to the normal evolution rules.

Back