Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wanting to start a League in my area, need advice

Gryphon

I scouted out areas in my city where I could run one first. Only one place I could find had reasonable rental ($25 for 2 hrs, 1 day/wk) and would allow me to run an event there each week (all the other community spaces in the area were under regulations not to be reserved for a specific organization on a regular basis).

Most Leagues do not charge admission, though I understand that some do, and I would prefer not to have to charge admission. Is it reasonable to charge admission for a League in order to help pay rental costs? How much do Leaders who do this usually charge?

Currently I am not a Professor; I have taken the test once last Monday, and will have to wait a little over a week before I can take it again since I didn't pass. I researched the questions I missed and figured out how I got them wrong. Am I going to be tested on the same questions when I go back to take it again? Is this test "open book"?

Also, perchance I'm able to pass the test next time, how would being a Professor help in getting a League started? Does it make it more likely that my application will be approved? Would it be OK if I applied for a League even though I am not a Professor?

Thanks for reading this over, and I appreciate any advice you have.

Is it reasonable to charge admission for a League in order to help pay rental costs? How much do Leaders who do this usually charge?

Yes, it is. Pokémon Leagues usually charge from 2 to 5 dollars per player per week.

From How to Run a League Trainer Challenge version:
It is acceptable to charge players a small fee to participate in your league, if necessary. Whether you collect this fee on a weekly basis or up front is entirely up to you. This fee should go toward covering the cost of venue fees or any additional prize support that you want to provide for your league. Since fees will vary from location to location, we recommend informing players what their money is going toward to aid in averting complaints.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Also, perchance I'm able to pass the test next time, how would being a Professor help in getting a League started? Does it make it more likely that my application will be approved? Would it be OK if I applied for a League even though I am not a Professor?

Thanks for reading this over, and I appreciate any advice you have.

Being a Pokémon Professor does show people you have gone the extra mile to test your knowledge of the Pokémon Trading Card Game and tournament operations and procedures, but it should not be a factor. Time and dedication to growing a Pokémon League in a safe family friendly location and having fun doing it will go a long way to a successful league.

You do not have to be a Pokémon Professor to apply for a Pokémon League. You do have to be atleast 18 years of age to be a League Owner, League Leader or Pokémon Professor.

Last edited:
Yes, it is. Pokémon Leagues usually charge from 2 to 5 dollars per player per week.

From How to Run a League Trainer Challenge version:

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Being a Pokémon Professor does show people you have gone the extra mile to test your knowledge of the Pokémon Trading Card Game and tournament operations and procedures, but it should not be a factor. Time and dedication to growing a Pokémon League in a safe family friendly location and having fun doing it will go a long way to a successful league.

You do not have to be a Pokémon Professor to apply for a Pokémon League. You do have to be atleast 18 years of age to be a League Owner, League Leader or Pokémon Professor.

Pay-to-play is a usual thing? I must simply be unaware of this because all the Leagues I've ever attended were held inside a store, and the only time I've ever had to pay was the very first time when I got my Badge Book, back in 1998 or so. I'm assuming that charging a fee is mainly normal for when a space is being rented out to hold sessions.

I do fit all the requirements, though, for the first couple of weeks or so, I may very well need to pay for the rent in advance, and collect admission to go towards the following week's session. Does that sound reasonable?

Would it be a good idea to hold a free session, just to introduce the new League to the area, informing the attendees that there will be a fee for subsequent sessions in order to pay for the rent and to possibly go towards end-of-season tournament prize support?

Thank you for your answers, they have been most helpful. :)

I do fit all the requirements, though, for the first couple of weeks or so, I may very well need to pay for the rent in advance, and collect admission to go towards the following week's session. Does that sound reasonable?
The problem with collecting now for next week is that then people will be stressed out if they can't come next week, though I'm sure you'd honor it next time they come. Plus, you could easily get more money up front if you do the following:

Let's say you charge $3 per session. The player can pay when they arrive. But you also offer a punch-card which gets them a free session if they pay in advance--buy 5 get one free. Let everyone know that you have to pay the rent in advance so getting the punch-cards is good for the league so as to motivate anyone who cares about keeping the league going to buy the cards. You'd just have to make the cards and keep track of everything.

Would it be a good idea to hold a free session, just to introduce the new League to the area, informing the attendees that there will be a fee for subsequent sessions in order to pay for the rent and to possibly go towards end-of-season tournament prize support?
Free samples are just about always a good marketing idea.

Instead of one session free for everybody, you could make it "first session free" for anybody who joins.

And here's some customer service advice: If you have loyal players who come all the time, kick them a free session every now and then. Showing that you appreciate your "customers" pays off.

If at all possible, I would try and hold your league someplace that won't charge a fee. I've been to a few leagues with and without fees and I can say with confidence that charging a fee nearly always creates a hostile environment, especially for something as little as 2 hours. Maybe this is the right play for you and your playerbase, but I would urge you to look for alternative options.

Greetings! I too want to start a league of my own however, once a week may not always work for me depending on work -- is it mandatory to run league games every week? What's the minimum? What do you guys do typically?

Location is mentioned in this thread. Sometimes a booked location may not always be available, I'm not aware if you are able to change the location of your league on the website on the fly?

Greetings! I too want to start a league of my own however, once a week may not always work for me depending on work -- is it mandatory to run league games every week? What's the minimum? What do you guys do typically?

Location is mentioned in this thread. Sometimes a booked location may not always be available, I'm not aware if you are able to change the location of your league on the website on the fly?
Well, how often do you expect your players to check the website? A consistent meeting place, day, and time is much more convenient and will definitely be easier on the attendees. Try to schedule accordingly and find a good, open place to hold the league. If necessary, find a large fast food or family restaurant (pizza place perhaps) that may be able to accommodate your league on a regular basis. If possible, maybe assign someone else to manage the league while you're away. You'll still be the League Owner and the other person would be a League Leader.

Heh, our league is still somewhat small, but when I joined we were at a Carl's Jr before moving to the food court of a nearby mall. However, we're just lucky enough that this food court is large and is hardly ever busy (not that glamorous of a mall). We usually take up 4-5 tables (up to nine on good days :p).

Last edited:
Well, how often do you expect your players to check the website? A consistent meeting place, day, and time is much more convenient and will definitely be easier on the attendees. Try to schedule accordingly and find a good, open place to hold the league. If necessary, find a large fast food or family restaurant (pizza place perhaps) that may be able to accommodate your league on a regular basis. If possible, maybe assign someone else to manage the league while you're away. You'll still be the League Owner and the other person would be a League Leader.

Heh, our league is still somewhat small, but when I joined we were at a Carl's Jr before moving to the food court of a nearby mall. However, we're just lucky enough that this food court is large and is hardly ever busy (not that glamorous of a mall). We usually take up 4-5 tables (up to nine on good days :p).

thanks m8. Any suggestions as to how to tell people it exists apart from the website?

Back