Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Washington State Championships March 14, 2009

Pokeplayer

Washington State Pokemon Championships!!!!!!!!!

The Commons at Federal Way Mall
Macy's Courtyard
South 320th Street & Pacific Hwy 99 South
Federal Way, Washington 98003

Date: MARCH 14, 2009

Time: Registration starts at 8:30 AM. Please be in line by 9:45 am or you may receive a first round loss.

Time: Registration starts at 8:30 AM. Players must be in line by 9:45am. Play starts at 10 AM.

Age Divisions: Juniors (born in 1998 or later)/Seniors (born in 1994, 1995, 1996, or 1997)/Masters (born in 1993 or earlier)

Deck List: Players will need to fill out a deck list. This list will be used for registration purposes. Deck lists will be found at the Mall the day of the event or at:
http://www.go-pokemon.com/op/tournaments/rulesandresources.html

Format: Modified Constructed Deck (bring your own 60 deck) - Deck Doctors on hand to help improve your deck!!

Here is a list of the allowable Pokemon card sets legal for this event

Diamond & Pearl
Diamond & Pearl—Mysterious Treasures
Diamond & Pearl—Secret Wonders
Diamond & Pearl—Great Encounters
Diamond & Pearl—Majestic Dawn
Diamond & Pearl—Legends Awakened
Diamond & Pearl—Stormfront
Platinum
Diamond & Pearl: Trainer Kit
POP Series 6
POP Series 7
POP Series 8
Black Star Promos DP01 & higher

Play will consist of Age Modified Swiss. All players will play in every round. The main tournament (swiss rounds) will last 5 to 6 hours. After the Swiss competition is completed, the top finalists in each age group will play in a best 2 of three game one hour match for the top prizes.

<< Prizes Prizes Prizes >>
The top 8 players in each of the three age divisions (Juniors, Seniors & Masters) get the following prizes:
1st Place - 36 Pokémon Booster Packs, State Championship 1st Place Trophy, $300 travel allowance to Nationals
2nd Place - 16 Pokémon Booster Packs, State Championship 2nd Place Trophy
3rd Place - 8 Pokémon Booster Packs, State Championship 3rd Place Trophy
4th Place - 8 Pokémon Booster Packs, State Championship 4th Place Trophy
5th-8th Place - 4 Pokémon Booster Packs

Food: There will be a Lunch break and a Dinner break. These will be announced at the venue. There is food at the mall in the food court. Players are also welcome to bring their lunch/dinner and eat on site.

Door Prizes given away !!! One box of 36 booster packs will be randomly given away at the Washington State Championships!!

Side events: Side events start after the main tournament swiss competition is completed.

Booster Draft: Cost $20. Players receive 5 booster packs to build a 40 card deck. Basic energy is provided. Prizes will be booster packs for top winners.

Modified or Unlimited Constructed Events Cost: $5.00 entry Min 8 people per event. Prizes will be booster packs for top winners.

DRIVING DIRECTIONS: Take exit 143 off Interstate 5 and head west for 1/2 mile. The Mall is on the left.

Additional Information: Call (253) 874-2261 or e-mail [email protected]

Last edited:
Yippie! We've got State's info!

Is there absolute latest time that I have to be in line? I want to spend as much time as possible trying to figure out what other people are playing, but I do want to avoid a first round loss.

Last edited:
WOOHOO! I can't wait, this is gonna be my first State Championship! What a nice field of players I'll be heading
into! Should be a great learning experiance for a young new Oregon City Champion!!

-Jason
:)dark::colorless20)

Well since you guys are coming down to Ore(e)gon states , I must as well come up for washington states.
But just where is the SeaTac Mall?

2nd post!
New venue =o

Sorry Kid, this is an old venue for those of us who have been around the pokeblock a few times. After Sarah was born, and we decided to get involved in Pokemon again after our one Year Sabbatical. Our 1st tournament back was the Washington State Championship at the Commons (SeaTac Mall) in 2004.

Boy was that ever an eye-opening Tournament. I confused a player with an attack, and the player just retreated without flipping 'Hey Judge" Oh you can now without flipping. Then the next game a player laid down a rare candy on me" "It lets you do what.. no way!!" Wow that Pokemon has a lot of hit points, but what does he EX mean?!?!? "Two prizes if its knocked out wow!!. And my final surprise was I thought I was going to win a game because when I knocked out my opponents active pokemon he only had one pokemon left. and it had only one energy left on it and it needed 4 to attack, Boy is he in trouble I thought. Then he draws and lays down a Boost Energy' What does that do.. 3 energy for one card you must be kidding.
That was an unexpected loss.

Anyway back to SeaTac Mall

I know that 2004 States were held there as well as 2004 Gym Challenege and 2004-2005 City Championships. 2005 States were held there, as well as 2005 Gym Challenge, then in 2005-2006 Citys, and 2006 States and Gym Challenge were at the mall also. And the final event was the 2006-2007 City Championship. I do not think there have been any events at the mall since then.

Last edited:
There was a BR event in the 07-08 autumn season, which I've won. CRAP! Why does this date fall near my finals week! IDK, what to do? Should I study hard on Friday or should I skip it and go to Oregon?

There was a BR event in the 07-08 autumn season, which I've won. CRAP! Why does this date fall near my finals week! IDK, what to do? Should I study hard on Friday or should I skip it and go to Oregon?

I feel your pain, this one is before finals week, oregon is after finals week....YIKES! It's ok though,
I'll just study inbetween rounds....:lol:

-Jason
:)dark::colorless20)

how far away is this from portland/eugene/salem? if it's anywhere like that i might come.. oh and i thought it TeaSac mall 0.o :lol:

It depends, if Tyler's dad shows up and stands near your table durring a match, I am pretty sure that means you have to drop and go study!! :biggrin:

So, did PokeMATHter's question ever get answered about what time I have to be in line......?

Because like him, I want to make sure I wait until the last second to register so I can "tech" my deck, after I have tried to find out what everyone else is playing, of course.

So, did PokeMATHter's question ever get answered about what time I have to be in line......?

Because like him, I want to make sure I wait until the last second to register so I can "tech" my deck, after I have tried to find out what everyone else is playing, of course.

When is the last time you tried to tech your deck and it didn't do very well. HMMM?!

One more thing Jeff, if I play and drop like Tyler, I won't be going to worlds.

Hmmm that's creepy, I was checking some old records to see who won all of the previous states in masters. Washington has won every single one since 2005, the last time I saw an oregonian winning was in 2005 in his home state, Trevor Holland. That's not the creepy part, for some reason I can't find who won the Washington State Championship in 2005. Darn, if only I knew who accomplished such a feat, because the topic doesn't exist.

Hmmm that's creepy, I was checking some old records to see who won all of the previous states in masters. Washington has won every single one since 2005, the last time I saw an oregonian winning was in 2005 in his home state, Trevor Holland. That's not the creepy part, for some reason I can't find who won the Washington State Championship in 2005. Darn, if only I knew who accomplished such a feat, because the topic doesn't exist.

Ok 2004 was our first year back in Pokemon I do not remember who won
Dang 2005 was the year I went 0-6 in States (lost a game to Roberta that I led 5-0)
I do not think we stayed for the entire thing, I did win cool Pikachu/Meowth walki talkies though for the Sportmanship prize.
2006 was the kid from California somehow beat Gregs Dustox EX deck with Storm (BLS)
2007 Champion Levi who did not even have to play the championship match with his Spead Spread deck because Stuart just scopped to him.
2008 was Paul J who just about won everything last year except for Worlds with his G&G deck.

Last edited:
Over 9000 miles. (Sorry, obligatory remark there)
3 hour drive or so for me to get down to portland....so about the same coming back. Not too bad.

Back