Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WC cards on Ebay

Status
Not open for further replies.

FunnyBear

I am surprised and disappointed to see cards from the World Championship series decks on Ebay selling for high prices. Here are a couple of examples.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230412111085&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

http://cgi.ebay.com/Set-of-2-Uxie-1...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1c0ec22239

http://cgi.ebay.com/2-SUPER-RARE-po...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5c6453b

The ads do mention that they are from the World Championship Series, but has text about what they are worth that would only be true if they were legal cards. The people bidding on them are obviously not aware, and most listings have a no return policy or a store credit only policy, presumably for when the buyer gets them and/or takes them to league and gets the bad news.

Look at the negative feedback on this page by someone that just didn't read the text on the ad for a Luxray Lv X.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...rid=ashley46825&ftab=AllFeedback&myworld=true

Negative feedback is obviously an effective way of handling these, but unfortunately the seller has many uninformed positives to offset the few that figure it out.

The real problem is that I'm not sure any Ebay rule or actual law has been broken here. The cards are made by TPCi and are legal to sell, so the listings violates no copyright as it would if they were fakes. Obviously this is bad for the game, but is there anything to be done about these people?

all people that know what there doing justneed to look at the card and se the grey trim and the autograph on the card that would be the first sign to me not to buy them

So your argument is that its ok because only people that don't know what they are doing are being taken advantage of?

So your argument is that its ok because only people that don't know what they are doing are being taken advantage of?

I think selling those cards is shady. However, the seller did nothing wrong. The buyer wasn't taken advantage of in any way.

That being said, the person who left the negative feedback had no grounds in which to do so. The auction description clearly said it was a World Championship card and the picture was of the World Championship card- noting the gray border and signature. Whoever left it should man up, retract it, and not be in such a rush to click on Place Bid.

A fool and his money are soon parted... were you the one who who had his head in the dark or something? You seem a little more passionate about the issue than you should be.

Did you know there were some Lugia EX WC cards that sold for around 50 a while back?

I could see why it's misleading, but personally a consumer, I would check my information before buying anything.

Wow.
You guys have no sympathy for the poor souls that are doing their best on ebay, buying their kids the cool card that they want, thinking that they are getting a fair deal, when really they're getting ripped off?
Spirit of the Game, guys.

Did you read the ad copy?
The seller claims that the card is worth $30!
That outright fraud, if you ask me.

And even if the seller is technically with the law because of a passing mention of "WC" (but that seems very incomplete to me!), he certainly fails the moral test.

From the first one:

This auction is for a SUPER RARE LV. X pokemon card!

This is from the 2009 WC SERIES! LEGENDS AWAKENED pokemon SERIES!

Starting at just 7.00! Great Deal!

Worth 40.00!

This is the NEW 2009 WC SERIES!

The cards is:

-STAR UXIE LV. X 90HP

Everything bolded is stuff that is arguably misleading and somewhat untrue or contradictory.

The second one has a picture of a "real" Uxie X, does that qualify as fraudulent? It also says they are from LA, and then WC. The third lot has no misinformation, that's merely someone not knowing better.

the worst part about this is I went and bought the flygon lv.x off this seller and afterwards realiz\ed it was a wc card......I will not pay for this as I told this seller it is false advertising the way she has her auction set up....

It is fraud :( The description of SUPER RARE should be changed to commonly available in the shops for much less

I wonder how happy the seller would be if I were to offer to sell him some at a discount of $10 each. Still plenty of margin for him/her if they are worth as much as claimed.

Last edited:
A fool and his money are soon parted... were you the one who who had his head in the dark or something? You seem a little more passionate about the issue than you should be.

Its called moral outrage, but you actually have to have morals to understand it. Are you one of the people ripping people off? You seem a little more passionate about my concerns than you should be.

This is very sad because for the 8$ they are spending for 1 card they can just go to the store and get the entire deck of 60 cards...

This is very sad because for the 8$ they are spending for 1 card they can just go to the store and get the entire deck of 60 cards...

You are right, But we actually can do anything other then advise the buyers

What's even worse is that the WC decks have more then 1 LvX card they are paying for. I got the crown tiger set and that came with 2 Luxary's LvX, 1 Uxie LvX, 1 Dialga G lvX! No way they are worth 30$, they are not holographic OR even tournament legal...

I HATE HATE HATE people who put in WC cards on ebay.

When I first got my friend into the game i mentioned how amazing claydol was and how amazing ebay was for getting cards. Well he put 2 and 2 together and found a seemingly amazing deal of two claydol for only 30 bucks. I checked his auction for him after the fact (he couldn't pass up the deal he told me), and low and behold they were 2 WC claydol.

@waynegg

Its cool if you're in the loop and know how useless WC cards can be (can they even be used for translations?). These sellers prey on new players that are very likely to get discouraged (and may even quit) after something like this goes down, and its very bad for the game (I let said friend borrow my claydol's for some time at tourneys until he got a real set). But this is no more justifiable or correct than lets say, a seller claiming their cards are in near-mint condition when there are scratches and creases everywhere, or selling fake cards and trying to pass them off as useable. Its just the same as all these sellers claiming that these WC cards they are selling are super rare (they're not), are from a legal set (they're not), and are worth anything more than like 5 cents (they're not).

A certain store in Ontario tried to sell me either a WC Latios/Latias for 75$ a few years back. Some people are just evil.

Yeah, Ebay is littered with "junk sellers" who try to pass off their junk as valuable. Pokemon WC cards is only the "tip of the iceberg."

So this user can't be someone with morals who doesn't want to see children ripped off? If I had seen this, I would have raised the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back