Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Weegee's adventures in Indy (Top 64)

Mama_Luigi

So, it surprises me now how laidback I was about this event. I played around 20 games before we leave. (R-r-r-Roadtrip :D) We pick up a theme deck at a walmart in ohio to get my badboar, and I find out they come with a paper playmat. We eventually make it to Indy early, so we have to wait in the car whille they ready our room. And let me tell you, this hotel was awful (I was at a $29 dollar room :/) Plus I felt like I was gonna get mugged there. Awesome.
We get to the convention center a bit late after accidentally heading into the PMC building instead. By the time we get there, there wasn't even a line for registration :D. I head over to the Open Play room and find some people from New England. After we see how many people are going around trying to buy yanmega primes, Colin and I decide to go around offering people large sums of money for red gyarados in an attempt to start the next claydol ex. :D (I don't think it worked :p) I play a few games and then begin to get nervous (Even though I won both games.) I misplayed alot, so I wasn't sure how I'd do in the tournament. I felt that my deckchoice was poor, and I wasn't exactly sure what I should be doing with it. I play lke a million games on redshark, and start to feel much better. I resleeve my deck then attempt to sleep. (I'm playing Magneboar btw)
In the morning, I wake up, take a shower, get some grapefruit and leave early for the convention center. I meet Marc and Gabe, and see that everyone's switched to yanmega. Oh boy. I meet Matt, and see he's playing Samugatr.... i give him a playmat for the event, then pile shuffle a whille.
Player meetings start, and I find that there are much less Josh's than last year. I play a few games, then pairings are posted.

Round 1 vs. ??? with Serperior Vileplume

I whip out that new theme deck playmat, pile shuffle a few times, and get ready. I draw a meh hand to his decent one. Luckily, cleffa saves me, and I start attacking turn 3. I get to take 2 prizes before he gets a vileplume out. Now it gets tough. My magnezone snags me 2 more prizes before it goes down. I have 1 more energy left in my deck with 3 attached to a reshiram and3 attached to a magnezone on my bench.
I blue flare his serperior to leave myself with one prize to take. He promotes a servine, gets a metapod on his bench, then uses the servine attack. He flips tails, I can't do anything and pass. He evolves to serperior, then we enable draw pass mode until I topdeck an energy and retreat to magnezone. I lostburn for game.

Sorry, that was onesided the whole game, but gg
1-0

So I find out Marc and Nathanial had to play each other D: Nathanial wins. Thomas manages to take a close game versus the table, and Matt loses to a straight donphan. I start to feel some stomach pains. It takes a whille, but pairings are posted and I see I'm playing against a "big name" Oh boy :0

Round 2 vs. Grafton R with Yanmega Kingdra

So he starts first and pulls a first turn judge on me then passes. I pull out a cleffa with collector, retreat to it then eek. I flip heads and he tyrogues me. I tyrogue him back. 5-5. He's forced to eeek and flps heads. I gain the lead i prizes. He snipes one of my magnemites, and I evolve the other. I can't do much and tyrogue him. Next turn, I get to knockout his yanmega to bring the prizes to 3-3. I knock out something, and he returns the ko on my magnezone to bring the prizes to 2-2. I have a magnezone on my bench, but if I use it, he just knocks it out with his, and I won't be able to return it. I find and bench both RDL halves, attach 3 energy. Then magnetic draw for 5. I get the energy, and ozone buster for the game.

Gg, man, gg.
2-0

So we head out to lunch, and instead of going to steak n shake, Warren claims that the food court in the convention center is amazing so we go there. Mark (Different one) and I both order Italian Grinder sandwiches for like 9 bucks thinking that we're actually getting sandwiches. Damn, were we wrong. They gave us a small slice of a sandwich with some chips and jalapenos. I amaze Warren by eating the Jalapenos in one bite without showing pain, I find out that Warren's a secret agent, and I waste more time on facebook. Onto the next round....

Round 3 vs. Charles with Magneboar

So I start out much inferior to him. He's knocking out magnemites left and right, and I can't do anything. I manage to pull out a badboar, and start attacking, Prizes are at 5-2 his favor, but he has a crapload of energies in his lostzone. For some reason, I'm convinced that he has rdl in hs hand with 4 energy, so I decided to RETREAT my fully loaded badboar to a tyrogue. I find out that he actually has no energies left in his deck :lol: He has only 2 cards left in his deck, and decks himself :/

Man, I know how much I said this to you, but you should have won that :p.

3-0

It seems that round 4 is started immediately after. I look at the pairings and get excited. Looks like I'm playing Blitzer. :D

Round 4 vs. Simon B (Blitzer) with Donchamp

Let's save me a few minutes of typing, shall we? This went exactly like round 3, except I was the energy burning one. I deck myself.

Gg

3-1

Round 5 vs. ??? w Magneboar

Man, none of my games are real today :/
I tyrogue donk him.

4-1

So pretty much everyone on Team Topdeck is doing well.

Matt, Jacob, and I hang around the convention center, I find out that Troll and Toad will pay me 7 dollars for my Sealed HS playmat :p We joke that my entire deck is a proxied kingdra yanmega to which some disheartened kid throughly explains to me spirit of the game and how I'm breaking the rules by doing this. :(

Day 2.

Gawd, my stomach problems were back toda, but worse. I have to wait for my opponent to show up.
I'm sort of nervous, since I wouldn't be that comfortable being 4-2.

Round 6 vs. ??? with Donphan Samurott.

I don't really remember much about the beginning of this game, except that I must've gotten a good start, and I think he did too. we take out eachother's attackers, and I'm stuck attacking with a reshiram, whille he's attacking with Pike Samurott. He's searchin his deck for reversals, which a heads on would secure the game for him. He flips a tails, and I blue flare for game.

GG

5-1

K, so now I'm pretty comfortable only having to win 1 more to make it.

Round 7 vs Donphan Zoroark.

He gets out an early zoroark so I can not pull out an rdl. With my defenders, I take a prize lead (2-4), and he's forced to start stalling with tyrogue. He manages to tyrogue my reshiram 4 times before flipping heads going into my turn. I switch into my tyrogue and kill it. He donphans me, and I bring up my reshiram with 120 damage on it. Outrage for game.

Gg

6-1
So Jacob decides that it's a good idea to prank call Thomas and pretends to be an angry asian man working at a Ginger Gardens. :p We see Thomas like right after, and he tells us that he didn't get a call. Jacob said that someone definitly picked up. Without thinking, he asks Kevin if he got a call from "Ginger Gardens" forgetting that Kevin's ginger :redface:

Round 8 vs Nathanial L with SpeedPhan

Gah, I have to play against another Team Topdeck member. D:

We both get trash starts, but he manages to to pull out a donphan (okay 4 actually) and 6-0s me.

GG

6-2

So Matt convinces me to play a league game. It's drawn out andI win a close game. There are no seniors over here, so I suggest we skip the prizes, and check if they started the round. He denies this, and we wait in line to both get commons. We find out that the round in fact did start, and I get a gameloss :pP

6-3

I find out I'm playing against a reshiboar in top cut. Thomas teaches me the matchup, and I feel a bt confident about it. Warren, Mark, Matt, Jacob, and I go to Steak 'n Shake, and I find myself sprinting back to the convention center having left late. I go the opposite way though, and make it at like 2:20 (5 minutes after the deadline :p) I'm still somehow safe though, and I find out I was wrong. I'm actually playing against a yanmega kingdra.

Top 64 vs. Daniel with Yanmega Kingdra

Game 1: He starts poorly, and when he starts to set up, it's far too late.

Game 2: We're even for most of the game, until he pulls out his jirachi for 2 prizes. I start reshiraming everything, but I'm one prize too late.

Game 3: Gahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
I get set up GODLY (3 Magnezones, 2 emboars just in case he jirachis one, and a tyrogue active)
Unfortunetly, he has a cleffa active, and never flips heads. He's sniping me with the three kingdras on his bench, and I lose on time due to his sleeping cleffa.

Ggs

So, I'm a bit dissapointed that I just lost on like 8 coinflips out of my favor, but I still did pretty well :D

awkward ending..................................

Props:
Nationals:DDDDDDDDDDD
Simon for top 16
Team topdeck for doing so well :D
Dylan for top 4
Steak n Shake
Top 64
No random deck checks done on me this year (I got 3 last year :p)

Slops:
"What's your record?" "6-1" "No, seriously"
Getting a gameloss
Babyflips, gahhh.
Having to leave right after top cut
Having 5 slops

/End

Last edited:
Hey its Charles :p our game was really fun even though I stabbed myself in the back. You were so polite and nice and respectful and I totally didnt realize you were Mama Luigi! XD
Posted with Mobile style...

Nice job representing NE bud!! Hopefully we'll meet each other one day, even though we live in the same exact region xD!!

@ James
You and several others D:

@ Ashinto
I'll be in RI for a few cities. See you there?

Last edited:
See you at nats next year asian domination Josh this Jew Josh wont be goin to worlds so good luck if your going

Back