Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Week 3 - NY States Report - 17th based on SECOND tiebreaker -_-

TheDarkTwins

My final chance at glory came at NY States. I was going to go with the same list as the previous week due to the fact that I thought it could win if I got the right matchups.

R1 – Sava – Mirror

I get an awful start, to his god start. I feel like he had the win the whole game, and on my final turn I make a crucial mistake that would have let me steal the win, instead, my mistake (not using juniper to discard collector) cost me the game.

Loss (0-1)

R2 – Chandelure

He is playing a really bad Chandelure list, that has Beach, but no Dodrio. It ends up be a poor choice as I go right through him as he didn’t get any supporters to start the game.

Win (1-1)

R3 – Bolt – Durant

I get an awful start, and proceed to take 4 prizes (I could have taken 5), but I end up running out of cards.

Loss (1-2)

I’m pretty sure that I can’t make cut, but figure that I might as well try to earn some CP, and I might be able to make cut if I can go 5-2. I’m fairly confident I can pull it off, but I’ve got to take it one game at a time.

R4 – Tepig

I go first, and T1 her Tepig.

Win (2-2)

R5 – Jimmy O’Brien – CMT

I go first and he starts off with 0/4 on Dual Ball. I get up Thundurus and proceed to KO two Tornadus with it. We continue to trade prizes, but since I’m ahead by 2 prizes he is unable to catch up and I am able to win the game.

Win (3-2)

R6 – Mirror

This might have been the funniest game of the whole tournament for me. He has no supporters, but gets up 2 Eel. I see he wants me to KO his Zekrom so he can bring up Cleffa, but I catcher it and KO it to keep his draw dead. I eventually PONT and draw into 5 Lighting Energy and Fighting. I was so shocked I actually showed my opponent because I couldn’t believe the fact that I drew nearly half my energy off a PONT mid-game. Needless to say this game wasn’t close and I won.

Win (4-2)

R7 – Greg S. – Exact Mirror

The game is a little strange, but to make it short, I get a 2 prize lead, and he just can’t catch back up.

Win (5-2)

I wait for the standings to see that I’m 17th, and I’m TIED on the 1st tied breaker, and .44 of a percent behind 16th in the 2nd tiebreaker. I’m pretty pissed that I went 5-2 in TWO states and missed cut. The system needs to be worked out, because the missed cuts this year when I’ve gone 5-2 has cost me 7 CP, and a chance to earn another 22. If the new system is suppose to reward consistency, I’m just not seeing it.

Thanks for reading,
Drew

Taking losses early on always ends up screwing you over on resistance later on.

My two losses went 6-1, and 5-2. It was just frustration, I've never lost out because of the 2nd tiebreaker, and the fact that the last 4 events I've gone 5-2, I've gotten 19th (T16), 10th (T8), 19th (T16), & 17th (T16). It really gets super frustration. I've consistently bubbled when going 5-2 at events, it's a bit scary. I can't for the life of me remember a tournament where I went 5-2 and MADE cut.

Drew

Taking losses early on always ends up screwing you over on resistance later on.

My two losses went 6-1, and 5-2. It was just frustration, I've never lost out because of the 2nd tiebreaker, and the fact that the last 4 events I've gone 5-2, I've gotten 19th (T16), 10th (T8), 19th (T16), & 17th (T16). It really gets super frustration. I've consistently bubbled when going 5-2 at events, it's a bit scary. I can't for the life of me remember a tournament where I went 5-2 and MADE cut.

Drew

I'm just going to complete Ice'Cold's sentence... Taking losses early on always ends up screwing you over on resistance later on because when you lose early on you are (unless you play up) guaranteed to play people with at least 1 or 2 losses later on in the tournament.

I can't stand it when people say stuff like this "My two losses went 6-1, and 5-2". The other 5 people who you played and beat contributes to you resistance as well. All opponents that you play in a tournament... the people you lost to AND the people you beat contributes to your resistance. Sorry to be blunt, but it is true.

Back