Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What beats Speedrill?

infinity

With all of the Speedrill at Nats, I was wondering if anybody knew a tech against Speedrill they would like to share with the public. It would really help me. Thanks in advance!

Infinity

The top two decks in the meta. =( Dialga/Palkia/Luxray and Infernape/Luxray.

Palkia has two effective methods of shutting Beedrill down. The first being its power, which greatly limits Beedrill's damage/shuts off its draw. The second being Mesprit, which shuts off Claydol (in case they still have it after Lost Cyclone), Uxie drops, and the new Beedrill. These factors are huge, especially considering a potential Deafen Lock, and Palkia/Luxray snipes. Luxray GL LvX tech can help you here (pull up Palkia early, KO).

Luxape can shut off Beedrill, but not as effectively as the above deck. Instead, it has a power advantage: OHKO healthy Beedrill. Early game Luxray pulls active a Claydol, and proceeds to KO it. After a few turns of stumbling (Power Spray), Luxape sets its field up while taking pity prizes. After Beedrill sets up, Infernape + Bronzong sweeps their board.

Although Beedrill can beat Gengar, Flygon, G&G, Machamp, and other SPs with ease.

Dialga G and Gengar prolly give Speedrill the hardest time...

Dialga G just T1 Deafen and don't stop. Toss Galactic HQ out and by the time all 4 Beedrills are out they should be pretty beat up. Toss Power Sprays at them and by the time they're set up you should be able to run them through, because HQ + Deafen + Poison really adds up across the field. Most Dialgas play Palkia for fire matches anyways, so if you can get it up while keeping the Deafen lock you can cause some harm. Palkia G + Mesprit lock also usually plays Dialga G to shut off a few unfavorable Bodies (Mewtwo, Nidoqueen, etc.), so if you play that you can do close to the same method. Without Dialga G, or if you perform sloppy Deafen lock, the match up gets much harder... most Beedrills can manage with just the 4 Bees (Night maintenane is pretty much all they need to bounce back, and you're not exactly trading prizes), and drop a Baltoy to BTS up to Claydol or an Uxie when they start to get dead hands then toss it to the lost zone. Power lock kills it, yeah, but I hardly see that as an "autowin" 'cuz the Mesprit lock, in theory, kills everything... yet few will claim Palkia + Mesprit lock as BDIF. Besides, I saw a few Beedrills playing Mesprits of their own.

Gengar gives it a tough time too, I personally played 3 in Swiss at Nats and had no problem. T1 Pitch-Dark really slows them down, usually jumping to a T2 KO with Poltergiest. If Bees jump out, hit a benched Flutter Wings for 60, take a KO and hope to trade prizes, then finish the other off with a new Gengar. If the Gengar plays Mesprits, it helps tons.

I personally think Palkia/Mesprit is the BDIF, but I guess that's just me.

Bees along with every other setup deck struggles with anything playing Mesprit Lock or deafen lock.

Mr. Mime MT doesn't take damage from anything with less than 3 Energy.

Dusknoir DP limits your opponent's bench to 3.

I personally think Palkia/Mesprit is the BDIF, but I guess that's just me.

Bees along with every other setup deck struggles with anything playing Mesprit Lock or deafen lock.

Keyword "few."

If I were to list names in that post, I would have put you and DarthPika in for sure, lol. Not that it's a bad deck, just opinions differ and always will.

Any sort of Power lock or trainer lock really kills Bees.

infinity: Dusknoir DP really helps in more matchups, but in Bees it really doesn't help as much as you think. They'll generally play into the 5 bench spaces and be able to recover from shuffling just 1 of something in. Mime would be a lot easier to put into one deck... but it has to be active, which is a bummer. Here, I would go with Mime...

But is Beedrill really worth teching against in the first place?

Any sort of Power lock or trainer lock really kills Bees.

infinity: Dusknoir DP really helps in more matchups, but in Bees it really doesn't help as much as you think. They'll generally play into the 5 bench spaces and be able to recover from shuffling just 1 of something in. Mime would be a lot easier to put into one deck... but it has to be active, which is a bummer. Here, I would go with Mime...

But is Beedrill really worth teching against in the first place?

What are you talking about. If you think that Dusknoir doesn't really help that much you must be playing the matchup wrong. First off, Dusknoir is the best against Beedrill when you can Dark Palm a Flutter Wing Beedrill AND KO the active Beedrill at the same time. Against almost all Beedrill this pretty much CRIPPLES them.

Drew

Okay, I forgot about KO'ing them and Dark Palming in the same turn, you're right.

Once again, instead of applying constructive criticism:

TheDarkTwins said:
YOU ARE DUMB GO DIE A THOUSAND DEATHS

YES I AM RUDE

What are you talking about. If you think that Dusknoir doesn't really help that much you must be playing the matchup wrong. First off, Dusknoir is the best against Beedrill when you can Dark Palm a Flutter Wing Beedrill AND KO the active Beedrill at the same time. Against almost all Beedrill this pretty much CRIPPLES them.

Drew

I know a Beedrill recovering from that once. >.>

At any rate, Dusknoir in a deck that can OHKO Beedrill = Win.

Depends if Dusknoir comes out with the surprise factor... if I know they play Dusknoir, I'm fine playing with 3 Bees and a Claydol or simply 4 Bees (Not sure if I could pull it off against Dusknoir, but I was able to against Palkia G).

Last edited:
Back