Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What between turn effect happens first; poison, or maternal comfort?

PokePal0314

If a Pokemon is poisoned, and is 1 damage counter away from being knocked out, what would occur first, the damage from poison, or the healing for 1 counter from maternal comfort?

Maternal Comfort reads:

At any times between turns, remove 1 damage counter from each of your Pokémon. You can't use more than 1 Maternal Comfort Poké-Body between turns.

So, since it says at any time, can I remove the damage counter before poison, or no?

Since it says anytime (between turns), I believe that you use the maternal comfort before or after the poison. So your choice. But You must use maternal comfort.

The effects happen at the same time so the player with the affected Pokémon chooses which one comes first. That means, if you have no damage, you can choose to apply poison first and then heal with Maternal Comfort, or to apply Maternal Comfort first (having no effect) and then begin your turn with 10 damage from poison.

However, as far as I know, the knockout check occurs after all between-turns effects have been resolved so the Pokémon can't be knocked out by poison.

Shadowguard's right, the player makes the decision which applies first, I'm not sure which person chooses though, I think it might be active, but in either case it doesn't matter which order the player chooses since the KO checks are after both of them.

It's the player it concerns. So if the Nidoqueen is yours, you're the one who chooses which effect goes first.

It's the player it concerns. So if the Nidoqueen is yours, you're the one who chooses which effect goes first.

this is right, it doesn't "happen at the same time" otherwise you'd be able to make the arguement of chaining two powers together. since you control the poisoned pokemon and the nidoqueen you get to choose which action comes first, according to which is beneficial to you. you wouldn't want to heal then take ten for poison on a clean or 10hp remaining pokemon.

His body goes into play when he attacks, and that's the time you check for damage counters. After you attack, it's fine if they clear off. ^^ Well, unless you're playing a snipe deck.

But if you're against a deck that has to damage the active, having a clear Ursaring is actually super intimidating - Do they pass to lower the amount of damage you can do next turn, or do they attack, realizing you'll probably one shot them next turn?

I believe that Maternal Comfort just negates the effect of poison. And the KO check does happen after between turn effects are applied.

His body goes into play when he attacks, and that's the time you check for damage counters. After you attack, it's fine if they clear off. ^^ Well, unless you're playing a snipe deck.

But if you're against a deck that has to damage the active, having a clear Ursaring is actually super intimidating - Do they pass to lower the amount of damage you can do next turn, or do they attack, realizing you'll probably one shot them next turn?

I know its Poke Body goes into effect when it attacks. The example was a Pokemon which is poisoned coming in to your turn that has no damage counters on it with Nidoqueen RR on the bench. I was replying specifically to a post which said you wouldn't want to allow your undamaged Pokemon to take the poison damage, thereby Maternal Comforting it away. I used Ursaring as an example where you would want to use Maternal Comfort first and then take the poison damage. Allowing Ursaring to take the damage would activate his Poke Body adding 60 damage to his attacks. Sorry if I lost you somehow.

Back