Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What I Liked Best About Nationals Was ...

Big Daddy Snorlax

Administrator
Staff member
Now that I'm back home and have had time to reflect on the past 6 days, I am absolutely positive that this year's Nationals was the best "big event" Pokemon experience I've ever had (and I have had a few). The stage is set for a World Championship event that will be "out of this world".

Since I am sure many of you have some very special memories too, complete the statement in the title. You are welcome to list more than one thing, and you can list something that has already been listed if it was your top item too. Here are a few of mine to start us off.

What I liked best about Nationals was...

... the players. Pokemon players are the best people on the planet. Nearly everyone was living up to the best Spirit of the Game.

... the judges for the Professor Cup. I will carry the mental image of those kids patrolling the aisles and making rulings with me for the rest of my life.

... visiting with the PUI staff. Up until now I have not had much time to get to know them on a personal level. These people are the reason the game has a bright future, and they made Nationals so much more memorable for the staff. (here's to Kentucky State Parks).

That's all I have time for right now. I'll add some more later. Hope to see everyone at Worlds 2005!!!

BDS

Esprit d'Corps of the Judges and Staff; all these people have their own different and successful way of doing tournament operations but everyone got along and worked very well together on a pretty strenuous task.

Learning about how other TOs & Judges do things throughout our work together.

Bracketology with Eric, Mike & GL Blaine.

Meeting a lot of people face to face that I'd known a long time from the boards; meeting new people in the and having new friends to look for on the boards. Actually getting to trade some cards for once.

Legolas/Gimli Contest II with GL Blaine ( Instead of Orc necks, we racked the number of actual, non-tourney, games of PKMN played - I lost this round 9-6 after winning Worlds 2004 1-0 ). Staying up way too late playing and talking after the very late dinners.

Working with the 10-, who were a real joy, as were the judge staff for that group - GL Phil, Rocketman, Farbsman. Meeting a lot of the parents, both those who had a concern as well as those who were (as they often are) shocked out of their socks at how cool the PKMN community is...

Seeing the 15+ alive and well -- 240 people in a wonderful tourney provided some closure for me on the old banning chapter; thanks PUI & players. Seeing everyone in all the ages have a fun time at a very smooth event that was probably (in number of games) the biggest thing going at Origins 2005.

Last edited:
Dave for getting a DQ! :D

also, meeting all the pokegym staff! even though i played like 3 in a row in the prof event....

Last edited:
Richard, working with you was one of my high points of Origins this year! Though you did beat me twicem, one of those knocking me out of the mutant draft in the first round............of course you know, this means war...........!
Thanks for the fun, my friend!
Rick

What I liked best about Nationals was a 10-Under match which consisted of a player constantly using Pidgey to Corner their opponent's Jirachi. The opponent didn't have any Metal or Special Energies to attack with nor any Switch-like Trainers to remove it from the Active position. When time was called, the Jirachi had 20 HP left and the Pidgey player won the game using it's second attack. As bulbasnore stated, "it's [was] a lesson in deckbuilding."

Wow- so many moments to choose. I'm sure I share many of the ones mentioned -

1 favorable moment was just before opening rounds of Nationals- BDS put on his official judge attire- Purple head bandana- inspired by the Professor Cup Judges Anna & Taylor.

What I liked about Nationals best was.... Finding my backpa...ohhh

But seriously, Nationals was a blast I loved the whole thing and plan to be there next year :D

Last edited:
Hmmm...so many to choose from, and I'm still so tired I'm not thinking straight...

...FINALLY getting to meet 'Pop...and getting to judge 11-14 with both the Mikes ('Pop and 'Sensei)

...getting to match names with faces/screennames; "Spammers" the game...:lol:

...meeting Heidi and GLPhil, and learning about the wonders of the KY State Parks system :lol: :tongue:

...meeting Pete and Susan, and getting to work/hang with Mike and Dave again. Guys, I'll make SURE I find out when 'last call' is here in SD before Worlds...that was HARSH Sunday night, no other words for it :tongue: :lol:

...we get to do it all over again in a little more than a month, for Worlds :D

More later...

'mom

Last edited:
Spending a lot of quality time with the Team and the Gym staff.

Meeting so many board members.

Getting our cool new shirts.

Many to choose from... but I'll try:

1. Spending time with my partners in world domination from the 'Gym. Thanks to all the 'Gym staff for making this weekend what it is supposed to be.

2. Spending time with the PUI staff and getting to know everyone that makes these events possible (besides the working staff).

3. Being allowed to put many names and faces together with those I already knew from the 'Gym, and many of those I have never spoken too.

4. Seeing Dave DQ'd was just priceless... see folks, that is why they have an age limit for judging :)

And as 'Pop said, the kickin' new PokeGym staff shirts (not to mention the Pokemon Nationals staff shirt I got, and no Heidi... YOU CAN'T HAVE IT :D)

Last edited:
bulbasnore said:
Legolas/Gimli Contest II with GL Blaine ( Instead of Orc necks, we racked the number of actual, non-tourney, games of PKMN played - I lost this round 9-6 after winning Worlds 2004 1-0 ). Staying up way too late playing and talking after the very late dinners.

Don't worry the Legolas/Gimli Contest will continue with Part III at Worlds. :thumb:

I had a blast at Nationals. It was great to work again with everyone from Worlds last year.

dylan when he chased me down the hall,tripped and fell and rolled and then he couldnt get up,cause his arms were taped and his bag broke,lol :biggrin:,dylan u and steve really brightened the day thanks!

I liked losing to Stuart! BTW, the judging was really good. THe tourny was run very smoothly with minimal repairings. It was also neat to meet all the 'mods' on 'gym, like SD Pokemom and BDS . . . wait. I already knew him.
-KG

What I liked about Nationals was....

-The prof. cup and the judges....what a great idea to reverse things around....lol.
-Meeting cool and nice people, alot of the people I saw are very nice and repectful....thats what the game revolves around.
-Seeing Prof. Dav and the rest of the PUI gang, I spent a nice amount of time talkin to these great folks and I appreciate it them taking time out of there schedules to chat about anything and everything pokemon, THANKS GUYS, YOUR ALL #1!!!!
- Getting ready for Nationals and realizing how many people played....lol....

See ya​

GymLeaderPhil said:
What I liked best about Nationals was a 10-Under match which consisted of a player constantly using Pidgey to Corner their opponent's Jirachi. The opponent didn't have any Metal or Special Energies to attack with nor any Switch-like Trainers to remove it from the Active position. When time was called, the Jirachi had 20 HP left and the Pidgey player won the game using it's second attack. As bulbasnore stated, "it's [was] a lesson in deckbuilding."
At least there's somebody else with that problem...

What I liked best about Nationals was...

* Helping to put faces/names (& nicks) to the photos posted by the Schells!

* Helping with updates to the Professor Cup (to include the info provided by my minions lol - okay, SuperWooper and Venusaur!).

* Getting 'live' updates to the Cup and Nats (thanks Pat!!!!).

* 'Channeling' other's (posting for non-profs) while the 'Gym was read-only ;-)!

My 3 things I liked about Nationals.

* Working with the staff. Doesn't get any better. Pokemon players are LUCKY to have this group.

* Visiting with players from all over the USA.

* The excellent food at the convention center. YUMMY.

Man, what a topic...

What I liked best about Nationals was....

Renewing my faith in the 15+ age group...these guys have my renewed respect (addition by subtraction, mon)....

Seeing my kids judge the Professor Cup with Anna, Taylor and Chris....and being treated like staff...

Going 5-0 in the Professor Cup before crashing quickly back to the ground...

Meeting a LOT of people, including CONAN!

Having just a GREAT time with my kids, and the PokeWorld for 3 days.......

See you all at Worlds!!! Bigger party, even more fun!!!

M45

Back