Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What is the general opinion on running Triumphant Magmortar with durant? Hypno too?

jigglejuice

I have been surprised at the lack of deck lists that have considered running triumphant Magmortar using the top burner attack. For every fire energy attached to Magmortar you can discard a card from the top of your opponent's deck. If tails you have to discard all energy attached to Magmortar, but that can be fixed with fliptini. All things considered Durant's devour attack only requires that you attach one metal energy. The ideal situation would be to mill with Durant and stretch it's' survival rate while you stack energy on Magmortar. If all goes right, by the time your four durants are taken out, you have Magmortar ready to come in and finish the job. I don't have a decklist since decking out isn't my thing, but I thought he would be a more popular companion to Durant.

---------- Post added 11/24/2011 at 01:29 PM ----------

Another companion that might be good with a Durant deck is Hypno. Every turn Hypno is active you can flip a coin. If heads the defending pokemon is asleep. It is a good stall tactic.

Last edited:
I'm currently using Durant with Hypno on PTCGO. It works, Hypno has won me some games by putting things to sleep at crucial times. The only downsides are starting with Drowzee or Hypno getting catchered.

Oh wow good to hear that my idea isn't completely ridiculous :) I have only played against one durant deck online and it took me down to 2 cards left in my deck before I finished the final pokemon off. Definitely had me sweating.

Just play straight Durant with Rotom and maybe Weavile. Durrant + Magmortar is pointless. Durrant is supposed to mill 4 cards every turn from T1 on, Magmortar would require 4 Energys to do the same. How are you going to build that up, especially since your Durrants will get killed every turn?

I don't like Hypno too. Because of its horrible Retreat Cost and Catcher you'd have to play at least 3 Switch, hurting Durants overall consistency. It's also very easy to play around, even if it didn't work only 25% of times.

Last edited:
With correct timing and a switch, what about Palkia + Diagla legend as part of the deck? It could be invaluable to force your opponent to take two more prizes and then get PDL out of there.

problem with PDL is retreat cost, but it IS milling 2 cards while adding prizes. Also, discarding those steels will hurt your consistency. If you tech in any legend, it should be KGL

Well as long as you aren't trainer locked it wouldn't be impossible to get a switch ready. Plus it's high hp should allow it to easily survive anything but a blue flare/bolt strike. Guess it just depends all on timing.

The deck doesn't run a lot of energy, and some of the energy can't be brought back once discarded. I feel DP Legend would consume too many resources for a trick that may just even out once it gets KO'd, which with Catcher in the game, it most likely will.

I play it with 1 Rotom and 1 Smoochum. Nothing else (except trainers, supporters, and energies of course), though I may switch Smoochum for Bellsprout for trainer lock decks.

A big part of the strategy is to start the mill before the game even starts with mulligans. Go adding more and more Pokemon to the line-up and mulligans will be proportionately less. Another drawback to adding more Pokemon is that it would jack up your T/S/S and make the deck too clunky to perform properly. Durant has a scant Pokemon line-up on purpose, not because people couldn't think of other cards to put in it. If you aren't comfortable with so few Pokemon, I would suggest not running the deck.

TLDR; If it ain't broke, don't 'fix it.

Magmortar worked with Emboar, Shuckle, Seeker, unown return, and SSU to rip through your deck while decking your opponent. The problem with it, that Fliptini does not fix, is that it doesn't really matter if you keep the energy or not as Magmortar gets KOd on the opponent's turn anyway. It was never top tier, but is a fun league deck.

Back