Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

whatever happened to monarchy???

garchompx12

with the release of the new nidos, there should be a little more attention on them. Theyre both psychic, which gardy/lade is weak to, and even though monarchy is slow, with a heavy trainer list and a couple sableye, it could possibly recover from baleful wind. lake boundary=OHKO on gardy/lade, but the problem is they can kill u in 1 hit too. although, it can still be a threat to gardy/lade if played correctly.....

discuss

Believe me, it hasn't been ignored. Not by me, anyway. It is currently one of my favorite decks. It definitely has its strong points, but it is just that Gardilade, Blissey, DWD and company have better options for game manipulation. The closest thing in Monarchy is Nidoking's Poison Rub, and while it's good, is not the point of the deck.

I really LOVE Monarchy though. I couldn't wait for SW to come out so I could build it.

Monarchy is dead due to Gardy/Gallade's speed. It is too slow for playing. The theme of 2007-2008 is speed/disruption in which Monarchy has none.

Me tinks it just takes a little to long to setup correctly.... it is viable, but wiht the speed of most decks right now, Monarchy is clunky and slow,,,if the setup was faster.. then it would be uber!!

~Prof. Fish~

For a deck to be "good" you shouldn't rely on POISON RUB for the game. You should be doing QUICK KO's early on. In my Gardy/Gallade deck I got a T3 Gardevoir Lv.X in both of my games in a City Championship finals. That is fast and cards/decks like that set standards which make Monarchy look slow.

Monarchy is too slow, period. My sister and girlfriend play each other every day, sister has Monarchy, Girlfriend has Gardy\Gallade. So far its very one sided twords Gardevoir, the only exception being horrid starts (IE 1 ralts)

DuskQueen bounced around for a while too, but again, setup is crucial. You have about 4 turns to max out your deck's effects and damage. If you can't do this consistently, then your deck is slow.

Monarchy, if a player gets a REALLY awesome hand and goes second, might achieve this.

hey guys, i'm back after a while. i too think that the new nidos would help monarchy become an archetype again. I've tried it with Meganium D and that wasn't all that bad for a 5 min list. The problem I ran into was not running enough stage 1 and relying on rare candies too much. Then the other thing was against an Absol start. I was only down a couple of prizes and scooped just because i was disgusted on how bad that card can donk. I will definitely keep trying to make it work since I believe that Poison Rub is good against the a good part of the metagame. It helps against a bench Magmortar/Magmar because of their high retreat cost. Sure they can help away a few damage but the poison starts kicking in after a while. Against Gardy/Gallade it helps cause they are weak to you but your weak to the Gardy and a couple of Gardies could complete take you out. So I try to help in bring back a good Monarchy.

For a deck to be "good" you shouldn't rely on POISON RUB for the game. You should be doing QUICK KO's early on. In my Gardy/Gallade deck I got a T3 Gardevoir Lv.X in both of my games in a City Championship finals. That is fast and cards/decks like that set standards which make Monarchy look slow.

thats as much luck as deck building

It's too slow. You need to set up 3-4 queens and at least one king which takes a while.

He needs to setup 2 ;/

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Do i have to say the magic word?

Luck.

Last edited:
Monarchy is dead due to Gardy/Gallade's speed. It is too slow for playing. The theme of 2007-2008 is speed/disruption in which Monarchy has none.

Not neccsarily. At league today I played a very good Gabsolade list. I beat it two out of three with my monarchy deck. It wasnt that I got everything I needed off of topdecks wshile she got nothing either. We both had our moments when we thought we would lose for sure.
Monarchy might be a little slow but when your guys have 130 and 120 hp its going to take a while for them to knock you out.
With a good support pokemon group (like castform or furret, maybe even statler or ching-mecho) its not that hard to set up. You already have pokemon getting with nidoqueen d and you only need two energies to attack with nidoqueen MT out. I know that that is alot of stage twos but with furret your getting out your rare candies easy.

Nobody plays Monarchy because there are other decks that do the damage easier.

Why would you play a deck that NEEDS to set up multiple stage twos to be effective when you could just play Gallade and have 1 pokemon up to do the same thing basically.

It's just an inferior deck compared to the top decks now.

Back