Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

What's the best D&P expansion?

lev

I haven't played Pokémon in a while and I don't know anything about D&P. I have some spare bucks to burn and I thought I could buy some booster boxes. I don't have any Pokémon cards so what cards should I buy first? Are there any gift boxes/theme decks that are worth buying? Stormfront looks like a solid expansion. I don't have a particular gamestyle but I like Scizor a lot. Also, should I get cards from the first couple of D&P expansions since they're very likely to be rotated out next year? Any advice would be very appreciated!

The latest sets have the best Pokemon. Stormfront is particularly good in that respect.

Secret Wonders has the best overall trainers by far.

for boes i would go with SF as you can get 4 good cards (shiny/2 X's/char lne) while the other boxes only had 1-2 X's but if you want trainers then SW definitly.

You should get a box of great encounters and a box of secret wonders for Claydol, rare candy, bebe's search and roseanne's research. then either Legends awakened or stormfront for the good cards you will base your deck around.

Things that could easily be put into a deck
4 Bebe SW
4 roseanne SW
2-2 Claydol GE
4 Ralts SW
2 Kirlia SW
2 Gardevoir SW
3 Gallade SW
1 Gardevoir lvX SW
1 Azelf LA
2 Uxie LA
4 Rare Candy GE
2 Cynthias feelings LA

so i showed the set that they all come in so you can see that if you buy Ge and SW for the trainers, supporters, claydol and G&G line, you can buy LA or stormfront for a couple good cards and then trade the good cards that you dont want to get something out of the other sets, like MT or MD because they aren't really worth buying a box.

Thanks for your answers (special thanks to i like burdn of a day for his detailed response)! Any more thoughts? I think I'm gonna buy 4 boxes — what combination would be the best? What about gift boxes/theme decks? Cheers!

If you were going to get 4, I'd make it Secret Wonders, Great Encounters, Stormfront, and Legends Awakened. As others have said, you'll get all of your staple trainers such as Roseanne's/Bebe's/Rare Candy/Night Maintenance/POTION( just kidding) out of SW and GE as well as staple support such as Claydol. A lot of the Pokemon you're going to want to base decks around come from Legends Awakened and Stormfront, although these sets will also round you out with a bevy of other useful trainers such as Cynthia's Feelings, TM-TS2, Pokedrawer, Luxury Ball, etc.. SF also has the highest number of money-fetching cards, with 3 shiny super rares, the reprinted Charizard line, and then 5 level Xs.

Even though I wouldn't necessarily buy a box of MD, I have to disagree with the statement that you it's a subpar set. Before LA and SF hit the scene, it was the best of the block. Three out of the four level Xs you can pull are playable and valuable (the odd one out being Porygon Z lv. X), and you also get Call energy, Empoleon, Infernape, Torterra, Bronzong, Chatot, the Eeveelutions, Cresselia, Darkrai, etc..

Thanks a lot, butlerforhire. That's the kind of response I was looking for! I'll go for 1 SW, 1 LA, and 2 SF. I've had a look at GE and there's only a few cards that caught my eye so I'll try to get them through trading. Cheers for the help!

Imo, I'd avoid buying SW and just buy the main Trainers and any essential Pokemon from that set, it'd probably save you a few bucks instead of getting stuck with a bunch of cards likely to be rotated next season (this one is what, about a third over). Then use the money you save from not buying SW to get the next one coming out in February :D

Don't buy SW. Just buy 4 Bebes and 4 Roseannes and perhaps a few POVs and you've got almost every Trainers you would want from it.

i'm a huge fan of Great Encounters. Claydol, Unown G, Sceptile (x2 grass energy), Rare Candy, Moonlight Stadium, Premiere Ball, etc. The one bad thing about it is that 3/4ths the lv x cards in the set are available through tin purchase.

just my two pennies.

Back