Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

When a player forgets to draw a prize???

Pokeplayer

Question....

If a player forgets to draw a prize for knocking out an opponent's Pokemon and later remembers that it was not drawn, Is the player allowed to draw the prize? (In this case the opponent did agree the player did knock out the pokemon) There was no "cheating" in this incident.....just forgetfulness in a close match......

I had a case come up at my CC this last weekend...

Player A declared victory by drawing her last prize....Player B had only one prize left when player A had drawn her last prize...It was a close match...

Player B suddenly realized that he forgot to draw a prize..... Sure enough.. an examination of Player A's discard pile clearly showed Player B had knocked out enough pokemon to draw 6 prizes.... Player A agreed to this...

However, the game was now over... Player A had drawn her last prize....

I ruled that since the game was now over and Player B had forgot to draw his prize, the victory would be awarded to Player A....

Comments are requested.....

Pokeplayer

Well since you were the judge I'd back up your decision that the result stands.

But its not an easy call some factors.

1) it is both players responsibility to ensure that the game is played correctly.

2) Neither player should not gain an advantage from a failure to perform a compulsory game action.

Given the above I think I'd lean towards a draw for your second case. However YOU WERE THE JUDGE AND YOUR DECISION STANDS

Basic pokemon may get into the discard pile as the result of a trainer card (like TV reporter). This can not be used to prove that a player forgot to draw a prize.

I think you made the right decision.

In situations like the first, if both players are in agreement, then I allow the prize to be drawn & caution both players.

The 2nd situation seems to be a matter of lattitude in the judgement under PUI.

In a situation such as the 2nd, I would rule again that it's both players responsibility to make sure everything that is to be done, is done. At that point if both players agreed that a prize was forgotten, then depending on the caliber of players involved, I would probably rule the one who forgot their prize was the winner, because they earned their's before the other player. If in disagreement about if a prize was taken or not, then the player who actually drew their prize would get the win.

I would not rule this as a draw as it was not a draw had everything been done properly. But as said above, whoever was the head judge had the final say so, so therefore you go with what the head judge rules.

You made the right judgement. If they had realized it before the game ended, that's different. But, there's nothing a judge can do after the game is over.

actually under wotc there is nothing that can be done once the result slips are signed as correct by both players and judge.

so even after the game has ended a judge can change the outcome (as long as the result has not been reported to the scorekeeper )

Back