Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

When do you....

XYZ_Sniper

I want to take a poll of when people acctually make there decks, and decide to play it for there next (Battle Roads, Cities etc)

After thinking about this i have never had more then a 48 HR knowtice of what deck to run :biggrin:

(and if anybody cares my record would be finish a deck with 5 minutes left for registration :thumb: and get 5th :mad:)

For small tournaments such as cities and battle roads or local tournaments i build a deck that is usually completely random or VERY VERY rare to find (battle roads i went with infercatty (MD infernape w/ teched in Moltres MD, Rotom MD, Unown Q and finished 3-2 and in 9th out of like 30??)

But for big tournaments such as states, regionals, nationals, worlds i use whatever a top deck is but throw in a random tech or 2 to help against mirror matches usually...

I only have one deck, so... >>
It's been prepared for several months ahead of time. The only downside is I think someone I battled at States built a deck to destroy it. (Mine's Magmortar Lv X / Togekiss, hers was Empoleon Lv X / Cessation Crystal. Though I lasted 44 minutes for one of our games.)
I ended up top four for the first time, then top two, and was up against that woman and came in second place for the first time in my life, at Battle Roads last weekend. =D

Well, I made the deck I used to get 2nd at Regionals (magmortar/cessation) at 9:30 the previous night. In contrast, almost every deck I've spent time testing and preparing has been met with constantly horrid hands and terrible prizes. Mag/Cess was the first deck to not get bad starts ASAP. lol

Anyway, what I do now is change an existing deck so it plays much differently from the norm. Gives me the perfect balance of predictability and surprise.

You do know that it's spelled "notice," right? :lol:

It's either Fossils for BRs (midnight day before) or my first Skittles list for States (around midnight).

At least for this set of BRs you have all your decks built already!! lol

Rampardos/Lucario for BR- in the car there : )
Lucario/Eeveelutions for National 07- In line =D

idk i feel more comfortable using a deck right after I make it.. If I have it for a while I get bored of it then move on to something else.

^ sweetness to the lucario xD
but yes i get sick of decks after i win *ya right :lol:* or lose with them

and Mrdraz i have 1 deck count it 1 ready for BR so get ready for the speed :cool: litterally :rolleyes:

I usually feel comfortable about a week after I build the deck.

Example: A week after I build Rush, I went undefeated for a while, however when I built my GG, then I couldn't go to league or any tournament for about a month and I brought GG to league and couldn't pull out any sort of decent, close game, which we're all loses

I have the ideas and write first decklists very early, sometimes only a few days after I know the spoilers. Of course, they'll get changed or suspended often until the tournaments start.

For States, I prepared some decks a couple of months before, but I wasn't able to play most of them because of the disappointing Great Encounters setlist.

I planned to play other decks like Porygon, Empoleon and Blaziken for States since I knew the setlist, but the week before the first SC during playtesting I recognized that Togechomp is just better than any of my other ideas. Normally I didn't want to use the same deck at four different State Championships, but as long as the deck is not stupid standard meta stuff and it still makes me win, so why not?

Most of the other decks I built four States but didn't turn out to be good enough were used at the Spring Battle Roads - Exploud and Sceptnite for example.

It depends on what the tourney is I'm getting ready for.

For a BR I usually decide a week in advance.

For CC's I usually use what ever I think will be a good play and make it a few weeks a head of time.

For Regs the same thing as CC's

Ive been working on nats decks all month.

I usually start working on decks as soon as I see the spoliers, that way by the time a tourney comes up I just need to pick what deck I want to use. :cool:

I usually make my decks for cities and BRs the same day as the tourny to prevent myself from testing it (lol).

For states and regionals, I build my decks a week in advance

Nats: I'm already working on my nats deck. That should tell you something ;)

Worlds: Same as nats

My observations are from this season only.

For BRs, most likely in the same day. It may be that I have deck made weeks beforehand, but in last testing session everything goes wrong and I decide to switch decks. That's why most of my decks are pretty makeshift.

For Cities, I changed the deck at the day before cities, but the general idea had been in the deck for a while.

For Regs, same day.

For Nats, I switched decks 1/2 hours before deck check closed.

For Worlds... remains to be seen :)

Sometimes i try to build decks but they aren't always successful. Most of the times all the combos would have been discovered before the set would have been released, so it's difficult to make a NEW powerful deck. But if you are sharp you can find some combos that noone has thought about, just like destiny.

The best try is to use a popular deck but modify it. eg. put a gardeviour ex in a GG deck, or put a gyarados, of something else.

Back