Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Who is your inspiration?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike

this topic has recently came into my mind after I decided to visit pojo.com recently and puruse the old articles posted on there. After reading the articles I realized that upon reflecting over my playing times that maybe we all have other players that have inspired us in this game. These players may not be people you come into contact with but people you read and just open your eyes or really make you think, challenge and push you to beceom better players, players that help discover just how you are as a player and how you play best.

Maybe someone out there inspires you in this game just becasue of their character in general, representing all that is good in this community. Maybe it's time to reflect and share who are positive inspirations are for this game, the people who deserve credit for making you a better player in every way possible.

As a start, i'll share mine:

1. Scott Gerhardt- one of the most well known writers for pojo.com and a darn good player to boot, I remember reading his deck reports from the earliest sets. He opened my eyes to the values of draw power, a quick tempo game, a mind that can challenges itself by focing to adapt to different situations. He also opened my eyes completely as a player when he posted his first copy of the spong deck, featuring the movie promo mewtwo. I found myself a very similar player to him in terms of playstyle and through him, I cannot say enough of how he influenced me as a player. One of the most memorable moments was during the west coast super trainer showdown in 2001 when he decided to sit at my table as an observer for the top 8 rounds that day. While I was completely focused on that round, I felt like it was an honor for him to observe my match.

2. Andres Rodriguez (Bomeister)- A player from the super trainer showdwn days and One of the players I just miss the most ever since he left the game, which was way before I had left. He also helped me discover a lot about myself as a player, looking towards a very efficient control playstyle. He also was the inspiration that led me to work very hard on Dark Vileplume decks, which became one of my favorite decks. It wasn't long before I started giving advice to him and he accetped it very well. A player who definitely did quit too soon. representing Los Angeles, and one the more veteran players definitely remember.

3. Dan (Pyrodan) Deardoff, Kevin Cheng, Jason Wivart. The four of us were the main players among Team Name of the Game in San Diego, Ca. This was way into the days where WotC was running pokemon organized play with DCI ratings and such. These three guys represented San Diego so well when there were really no other players that san diego was recognized for. We were all known for our use of unique decks and unusual playstyles. Dan won a free trip to the ECSTS using a steel arcanine deck and top 8 using Slowking/Blaine's Arcanine (Undefeated in swiss to boot), Kevin got a trip to the first world championships using dark golduck/slowking, and Jason nearly got a trip twice. I spent nearly every saturday with these guys playing around and really enjoying what pokemon was made for, having fun for almost 2 years straight. Dan was a very, very similar player to myself in my thoughts and I immensly respected him for tweaking his decks to what he felt was best, and he knew how to succeed. Kevin had such awesome foresight and awareness when he played plus he knew when to come in clutch. Jason was probably the ballsiest player I've ever known. He never used an archtype, no matter what tournament was going on, whether it was using a turbo misty's deck for a Super Trainer Showdown Qualifier and nearly winning, Blaine's Ninetails for the WCSTS and doing EXTREMELY well in a water dominated field, or even using unique stall decks. Jason did what he wanted as a player and had all the skills to be one of the best. When all three of these players quit, I knew I wasn't ever going to be the same as a player. They were good friends to me, and an immense inspiration on figuring out what the main goal of playing this game was.

Who inspires you in this game? Who do you think makes you a better player? Who do you think deserves to be applauded for their efforts? Maybe it's time we say, thanks.

Last edited:
I agree on Scott Gerhard, he's a legend. When I was 13 and read his articles on Pojo, I finally managed to drop my Venusaur/Exeggutor/Alakazam/Haunter deck and see that this game can be really competivie and deep. I made my own Sponge-style deck, which helped me climb to the top of the Norwegian Nationals 2000 and let me to go on the first of my 7 (so far) Pokémon (STS/Worlds) trips to the US.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

Scott was my inspiration to get to an event like the ECSTS in the first place, and being at an AWESOME large-scale event like STS became my inspiration to recreate this atmosphere in Norway and rise the attendance number from a laughable 28 (the year I won, 2000) to 214 (this year, 2007).

Other inspirations for me:

-Harlan Levey, former Wizards Europe (he's basically been my role model ever since I became an OP Manager in 2003 ^^;)
-Ness/Jason C (I loved his card of the week articles when I was around 14 years old, and it was thanks to them that I managed to win my second trip in 2001, to the WCSTS)
-Matt Moss and Eric Brooks (I met both of them during the WCSTS, and to me they were examples of players that were leet, but could still help a lesser player and share their knowledge)

-The Team Compendium/Pokégym staff judges (The first time I got to work with them was when I judged Worlds 2004. I was very impressed by the professionality BDS, 'Mom, Bulbasnore and the others showed, and I felt like a total n00b judge. But since then, I feel I've gotten the hang of judging an important event like Worlds. Thanks to their helpful advice every year!)

Last edited:
Miska Saari.
When he won Worlds I underestimated his playing skills. He is only 13-years old and he is the best tournament player I've ever seen. He has only been playing pokemon for 3 years in league and in second year he already won Worlds. His deck creating is also getting more creative all the time and I can say that he'll do well at Worlds as long as he plays this game.

And the second one is (surprise surprise) Tsuguyoshi Yamato.
I think no one who stands for the facts can say that he isn't the best player in the world. 3top8 at Worlds finishes and 1 7-2 Grinder. I also heard that he is the league leader of their league so he is a very good role model to young players in Japan. It seems just that with his luck and skill in every international tournament he participates no one can make as solid prefomances as he in Masters which is the most skill based age group.

And the last but not the least is the whole PUI staff.
They've done SO much for the game in just very short amount in time and I highly appreciate their work for the whole game. Thanks to them we can play this great game of pokemon which is growing by full speed.

It's great to see positive topics at gym sometimes, thanks for this.

I actually see Eskil Vestre as one of my inspirations and best role models

He run all the tournaments in Norway, and even though I have a great time playing in other countries and with other organizers, Eskils are still the best.

Also, having a judge/PTO/friend? who is still an active player even though he can't play sanctioned tournaments makes his judging and organizing skills even better. Having all that and his previous Worlds/STS experiences to talk about is really great. He is also a resource for all the players in Norway, being active on our forums and helping spreading decks to begginers through posting them on the web page, in the magazine, etc.

Yay, Good Job Tego!! :)

My inspiration for this game is Maurice van der Bosch which is a Dutch player that I know. He is known as Raichu88 on pojo and he is my friend and inspiration for this game.

Tymon Martondale:

he ran pokemon here in utah for a long time. when i came back around ruby/sapphire days, he welcomed me back with open arms. after a little while he encouraged me to take the professor test. i failed the fist time and he told me to keep at it. i passed it the second time and he got me on the judging bandwagon.

after that he later encouraged me to open my own league location. i did and he gave me tips on how to get it to grow. later on he left utah for a job promotion out east and said that we would see him around.

after i became realy good at what i do, i later saw him at the pokemon world championships in 2005 and he told me i have been doing a wonderful job. in 2006 i went back to worlds but this time i got to show how good of a professor i was by becoming a volunteer and later on the 3rd day, they supprised me by making me a staff member. schwimmer,mike...everybody was in on that joke they pulled on me and tymon later told me that i did realy good. later that nite tymon got all the staff around and made me an honorary hive member. i was in tears at that point and gave him a hug.

in 2007 i went back to hear that pete and mike where asking about me at nationals. that made my day and i was put to staff work the day before the grinder. day of the grinder i was put to head paper runner,and jeff renolds like wat i was doing and wanted me to get with the other head runners and got some input and planned out the next day. at the end of worlds, tymon came up to me and told me how well i did. on the way home i thought about how just a few years back i was a nobody judge and now i am no longer a nobody judge, and thats all thanks to you tymon.

thanks tymon for being a great friend,PTO, and inspiraton!

~Professor ultimatedra~

My inspiration comes from the people who play that are from New york. They are fun to hang out with and are good players. Too bad I only see them 4-6 times a year.

Last edited:
Johnny Blaze. He is a great Pokemon tcg player, and still has time to spend with his family. THE AMERICAN DREAM. Love you Blaze

I've definitely had catalysts: players like Bigchuck01, Moss, and martin have given me a reason to stay in this game simply because they challenge me to shoot for the top, rather than settle for just doing "all right."

As far as players that directly inspired me:

Locals:

-Ryan Soles
-Richard Collinsworth
-Clay Carney
-Taylor Collinsworth

Domestic:

-Chad Harris!!! (gives me a reason to eventually become a national or world champion...so good yet so good-looking!!!)
-Michael Pramawat (always gives me a reason to keep tweaking decks)
-John Silvestro (keeps on trucking no matter how good or bad his beats are, yet still has a great attitude)
-TRUK (if Pokemon had a UN, then TRUK would be its secretary general)
-Ryan Vergel (based off of his work and major, he's probably one of my most favorite people to talk to about non-Pokemon stuff. Inspires me because he's a real example of how to live life while still playing "this" game :p)
-Jake Burt and Gymbo ('cause they're awesome)

Steven Silvestro, John Silvestro
but my biggest inspiration has to be Michelle Peck
not only is she a great person, she is also a good sport, and has a great sence of humor

Jim Ferrel
Dendro
Patriarch/Cyrus
i enjoy reading anything they type lol
FL ppl
Richard- He actually means what he says and does what he says he is going to do. XD
Anthony-Always fun,He keeps things interesting lol and it would be boring without him
Bianchi-Helps me with decks and stuff.
Omar-Helps with decks
Michelle-Gives rides(thank god) stays upbeat while dealing with alot.
i kinda turned this into more of a props thing i guess but w.e

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back