Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why I love DP4-the broken cards of DP4

ryanvergel

DP4 is RIDICULOUS so far in terms of the new pokemon. There are good basics, stage 1s, AND stage 2s (I know, unheard of right now).

Post your new favorite combos, your new favorite pokemon, etc.

All of this information is thanks to WPM who kindly posted the translations. I won't post the full text as it's against his wishes, and I hope you guys keep that to a minimum or at least post links.

www.pokebeach.com
Register for the forums and see all the neat stuff he posts!

I have two new basic pokemon I've fallen in love with.

Pachirisu has 70hp, and a dunsparce-like CFF. Get 3 pokes. His second attack is SICK too.

[C] Smash Shot: 10 damage. If the Defending Pokemon has a Pokemon Tool card attached, this attack does an additional 30 damage. Discard the Pokemon Tool card. If you do, look at your opponent’s hand, choose every Pokemon Tool card that has the same name as the one you discarded, and discard those as well.

If they have a tool, it does 40 and you rip it off AND any copies of it the opponent has. Pachi is going to be the new stage 2 helper. Oh god, I'm cessation locked. Oh wait...

What do you all like from the new set?

ALL OF THE FOLLOWING TRANSLATIONS WERE TAKEN FROM POKEBEACH.COM

Beedrill L.41 – Grass – HP110
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kakuna

[G] Combined Assault: Does 30 damage x the number of Beedrill you have in play.
[C][C][C] Twineedle: Flip 2 coins. This attack does 50 damage x the number of heads.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 0

---
This card may seem bad, but I think 110hp, free retreat, attacking for [G] can be nice. With TSDs, maintenance, and a sacrificial early setup it should be feasible to do 90-120 a turn for G while still retreating. No power or body means you can play with it cessations too, or even the new leftovers type card and retreat all over to avoid KOs.

Sceptile L.52 – Grass – HP100
Stage 2 – Evolves from Grovyle

Poke-Body: Overgrow
Each of your Basic Grass Energy cards provides 2 Grass Energy. This Body stops working if another one of your Pokemon’s Overgrow Poke-Bodies is already in effect.

[G][G][C][C] Leaf Blade: 50 damage. Flip a coin, if heads this attack does an additional 20 damage.

Weakness: Fire (+30)
Resistance: Water (-20)
Retreat: 3
--
Wow. Overgrow. Blissey? Leafeon lvl X? Consider the fact that you have energy trans sceptile in the format too?

Blaziken L.56 – Fire – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Combusken

[C] Flame Dance: 30 damage. Search your discard pile for a Fire Energy and attach it to Blaziken.
[R][R][C] Flame Kick: Discard 2 Fire Energy attached to Blaziken and do 80 damage to 1 of your opponent’s Pokemon.

Weakness: Water (+30)
Retreat: 1
--
Hey man, I like an 80 snipe. You can play it with the firestarter easily, too.

Mewtwo L.51 – Psychic – HP90
Basic Pokemon

[.] Energy Absorption: Search your deck for up to 2 Energy cards and attach them to Mewtwo.
[P] Recover: Discard a Psychic Energy attached to Mewtwo and remove 6 damage counters from Mewtwo.
[P][P][C] Psyburn: 60 damage.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
Retreat: 2

---
I know he isn't a stage 2, but he IS my favorite pokemon. With the new supporter that allows you to discard 2 cards to draw 4, you can dump 2 energy and have a nice t2 or t3 60. Not bad with 90hp. You can be taking prizes pretty decently vs anything other than blissey.

Gardevoir L.55 – Psychic – HP110
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kirlia

Poke-Power: Telepath
This Power can be used once during your turn. Choose a Supporter card from your opponent’s discard pile and use the effect of that card as the effect of this Power (the chosen card remains in the discard pile). This Power can’t be used if Gardevoir is affected by a Special Condition or if you already used a Telepath Poke-Power during your turn.

[P][C][C] Psyche-Lock: 60 damage. Your opponent can’t use any Poke-Powers on your opponent’s next turn.

Weakness: Psychic (+30)
--

I don't even need to say why that card is broken.

Gardevoir L.X – Psychic – HP130
Level Up

Poke-Power: Teleportation
This Power can be used once during your turn. Choose 1 of your Active Pokemon and switch it with 1 of your Benched Pokemon. This Power can’t be used if Gardevoir is affected by a Special Condition.

[P][P] Shoot Down: Choose the Pokemon in play (yours or your opponent’s, excluding Gardevoir) with the lowest amount of HP remaining. That Pokemon is Knocked Out.

Weakness: Psychic (x2)
--
=\ You get gallade AND this guy coming from the same poke? And his power is a switch?

Kabutops L.56 – Fighting – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Kabuto

Poke-Body: Ancient Shell
As long as Kabutops is your Active Pokemon, your opponent can’t play any Trainer cards from his or her hand.

[F][F][C] Chop Apart: 70 damage. This attack also does 10 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon that already has damage counters on it.

Weakness: Grass (+30)
--
Is that a joke? What kind of sick body IS that? FFC for 70 and 10 to anyone who has damage on it? This shoudl remind you all of psychic pulse, but on a non-ex with 120hp that disables ALL trainers from being played. Good luck using cessation to lock his body, lol. Good luck warping him out.

Exploud L.58 – Colorless – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Loudred

[C][C] Outburst: Flip 2 coins. If the first coin is heads, this attack does 50 damage to the Defending Pokemon. If the first coin is tails, this attack does 20 damage to each of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. If the second coin is heads, the Defending Pokemon is now Confused. If the second coin is tails, your opponent can’t play any Trainer cards, Supporter cards, or Stadium cards from his or her hand during your opponent’s next turn.
[C][C][C][C] Hyper Voice: 70 damage.

Weakness: Fighting (+30)
Retreat: 3
--
Here is the breakdown as far as flips is concerned:

HH-50/confused for CC
HT-50 and god you get to make mewtrick look silly
TH- spin tail for CC AND they're CONFUSED
TT- spin tail AND no trainers

oisejhtoijsrhoijrh WOW

Togekiss L.51 – Colorless – HP120
Stage 2 – Evolves from Togetic

Poke-Power: Heaven’s Blessing
This Power can be used once, when you play this card from your hand to Evolve a Pokemon. Look at the top 10 cards of your deck, choose any number of Basic Energy cards you find, and attach them to your Pokemon in any way you like. Return the remaining cards to your deck and shuffle your deck afterward.

[C][C][C] Air Scroll: 40 damage. Flip a coin, if heads this attack does an additional 30 damage. If tails, remove 3 damage counters from Togekiss.

Weakness: Lightning (+30)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 1
--
That's just a cool power. Asking for abuse, too.

Garchomp is also in DP4, adding to that deck's playability.

Cresselia is also psychic, and methinks he will see play too.

So, did you notice a lot of playable stage 2s? I sure did!

WPM: please don't get mad because I posted this.

Last edited by a moderator:
RyanVergel: You just make my day with Overgrow (The old and good Wild Growth from Meganium Neo) and the new Mewtwo (Awesome, just awesome...)

Thanks!

Ryan: I see many deck combos with the few cards you listed.

1 Togekiss w/ Garchomp MT. What a way to energy accelerate the pokes. Could even go Togekiss w/ Eggy MT....all of a sudden that eggy lil tree could be rolling 5-8 dice a turn w/ 30x each heads! Can you say Blissey KO.

2. Exploud....who wouldnt like to play the big mouth poke?? CC 1st attack...splashable in decks

3. Kabutops.....I loved him in his earlier release (as a Water Poke). Trainer lock is nice!

OK, i'll keep a few ideas to myself for now.

OT: Mario may not be the best deck choice in the future, but you have to admit, it did have an impact on the most recent set of big tourneys.

Keith

I know what Mike Cook's going to be playing this format, hahaha.

Back to back posts merged. The following information has been added:

I'd also like to say that the Diamond Pearl generation has been REALLY good to us. Before a set may have had a MAXIMUM of 20 playable cards. The new DP sets have dozens of playable cards, and tons of interesting combos. By increasing the playability of nearly EVERY rare/holo it's made the value of the cards increase, too. We still have lvl Xs, too. Not only are collectors and traders getting more bang for the buck (in smaller forms) but we as players have to buy less to get more playability.

When 90% of the released stage 2s are playable... that's a sign of a healthy format IMO.

Last edited:
I agree with how good the DP series has been. I went nutz over getting my hands on the rares from MT because so many were so good. I've never boughten so many rares since I started playing.

If pachi becomes a staple of stage 2 decks....that means the t1 riolu donks will be prevelant. +30 weak to F, add 1 strength charm or PP and hit your wild kick heads = GG Altho, the 2nd attack is interesting....a clean and rinse all Cess on oppo at the time basically and extra damage!

Keith

There are a lot of good starters in the set. Lapras just jumps out like crazy. Why play Chingling when Lapras gets you a supporter, a tool card, AND a basic energy?!

Phione or however you spell it will change the game imho. Being able to evolve basics first turn will allow stage 2 decks to maybe co-exist better with stage 1 T2 speed decks. Now if stage 2's didn't take as much energy, but we are seeing more pokemon with 1 energy attacks, which is good.

prime, lapras uses a water energy for its first attack
thus it is only fit for water or part water decks

im loving the new fossil pokemon that are coming out

If pachi becomes a staple of stage 2 decks....that means the t1 riolu donks will be prevelant. +30 weak to F, add 1 strength charm or PP and hit your wild kick heads = GG Altho, the 2nd attack is interesting....a clean and rinse all Cess on oppo at the time basically and extra damage!

Keith

Actually, Pachirisu only has +20 Weakness to Fighting, not +30 ... :tongue:

Well, Kabutops looks like it is Vileplume EX (the PokeBody) and Flygon EX delta (attack) all rolled in one

Phione is SICK. Like I said in the other thread, stage 2 decks WILL be coming back.

By regionals time I'm pretty sure we'll be seeing decks setup like the dunsparce era. Pachi is duns, and phione is jirachi, with a slew of other good setup pokes in there too.

EDIT: Thanks for moving the posts over, Prime.

i am glad that im getting shipped off to boot camp when i am
it means i get out of it just in time to get dp4 and go to states (YESSSS)

FINALLY they gave Tom Hanks a pet!!!
so now we have:

Island Hermit(Hanks dad)
Castaway(Hanks himself)
Lapras(Tom Hanks pet)

Sceptile + Torterra X + Leftovers + Dawn Stadium = PWN! (Yes, i love Torterra... but i cant make it works :lol:)

The new fossils (excluding Aero's fossil) help a ton. Being able evolve them right away is just so helpful. You can play the Kabutops fossil with the PK Kabuto, which for one energy allows you to grab an evolution from your deck. Talk about T2 Kabutops. Play the PK Kabutops, gust up their basic and now they can't evolve. LOL

Or the Caterpie, that can evolve if active on T1 into Metapod using a poke-power. Then the metapod has a Poke-power that can allow it to evolve in the same turn into Butterfree. Talk about T1 butterfree.

The set is really nice. I am sad about Wailord though. But he might be useful with Memory Berry. I dunno...

The new fossils (excluding Aero's fossil) help a ton. Being able evolve them right away is just so helpful. You can play the Kabutops fossil with the PK Kabuto, which for one energy allows you to grab an evolution from your deck. Talk about T2 Kabutops. Play the PK Kabutops, gust up their basic and now they can't evolve. LOL

Or the Caterpie, that can evolve if active on T1 into Metapod using a poke-power. Then the metapod has a Poke-power that can allow it to evolve in the same turn into Butterfree. Talk about T1 butterfree.

The set is really nice. I am sad about Wailord though. But he might be useful with Memory Berry. I dunno...

Nah. Nice with Leftovers and Xatu =X

Oh, I'm asleep? No, you are now. JAJAJ!

Oh, I have 200hp? I can use a switch and chill on the bench?

However, the weakness is bad.

I would run it this way:

Swampert
Xatu
Wailords
Leftovers
Switches/warps

Just 60 on a 200hp pokemon all game. I'm fine with that. He's like a 3 or 4 hit KO who can put the other guy to sleep sometimes, or heal itself. GOD. You heal yourself and THEN push the status through. lol

Leftovers only trigger when he's active and at the end of the turn, so I don't see how a bunch of hurt wailord are going to heal on the bench.

Back