Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why 'mom _didn't_ go to Worlds...and what I saw when I returned

SD PokeMom

Mod Supervisor
Staff member
As people might remember from the Worlds roll-call threads, I wasn’t able to go to Worlds despite an invite to be part of the judging staff. Instead, we went on a weekend trip with my husband’s parents and his sister’s family to celebrate my inlaws’ 50th wedding anniversary.

You read that right: 50 years. It’s really pretty amazing when you think about it, especially now that it seems so many marriages don’t make it even a quarter of that time. It was actually very low-key, as celebrations go: my husband and his sister, their parents, and the four grandkids, spending a couple of days together playing tourist exploring the Monterey/Carmel area of California.

My parents-in-law have been through a lot during their time on this earth. When they were about the age of many of you here on this board, the US was involved in World War Two. A pretty scary and uncertain time for everyone, that’s for sure; my own parents were in Hawaii, while my inlaws were in Northern California.

It was a bit more scary and uncertain for my inlaws, though: like my parents, they are Nisei, second-generation Japanese Americans, American citizens by birth. My husband and I are third-generation; our children are fourth.

Remember the backlash against anyone who looked ‘muslim’ or ‘arab’ directly after the September 11 attacks? That’s exactly what it was like for my parents and parents-in-law after Pearl Harbor. By birth, by education, they were as “American” as anyone else…but they didn’t look like it. Therefore, they were considered the 'enemy.'

And due to the racist, exclusionary governmental policies of the time…over 110,000 west coast Japanese (who could not become naturalized citizens, by US law) and Japanese Americans...their children, from adults down to infants, citizens of the US...were rounded up and sent to ‘camps’ for the duration of the war. With advance notice between days and weeks, this population…the majority of whom were American citizens and NONE of whom were EVER convicted of spying/aiding the ‘enemy’…were forced to leave the possessions earned from a lifetime of hard work and take only what they could carry to ‘camp’…small cities essentially, built in the desert wastelands of the West and Southwest where they would spend the next three to four years in barracks, each family in a single room. No trial, no appeal, no way to protest.

Try to imagine that for a minute: with anywhere from 24 hours to less than a month’s notice you have to decide what to take and what to leave behind. You don’t know where you’re going, so have no idea what kind of climate to dress/pack for…because you must take basic household necessities (sheets, blankets, plates, forks, cups) for each person, you'll have to reserve precious luggage space for them.

Forget about taking your pets: they’re not allowed to come with you, so you'll either need to find them new homes very quickly, or just abandon them...remember that your closest friends along with all your relatives are in the same boat as you and your family are. What will you do? Toys, books, prized family heirlooms…forget it, there's no room and they’d be under suspicion anyway since they were from Japan.

And guess what: when you read the newspapers and hear the news, the exact same terminology…words that are now in the autocensor of this board…are used to not only describe the enemy your country is at war with, but YOU, your friends, your family, your community. Not pleasant, is it?

One final bit of irony: my own parents, who were in HAWAII at this time, were not subject to this 'evacuation'. Had all the Japanese/Japanese Americans in Hawaii been incarcerated, the island economy would have been decimated without it's sugarcane and pineapple plantation workers.

It's difficult to put into words…at least, words that will stay within the requirements of these forums…my feelings when I returned from this trip to see the things posted here about the players who won Worlds: anger, disappointment, disgust…and a profound sense of sadness that so little has changed in 60+ years.

“Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it”…truer words have never been said.

We don’t know who is reading these boards; it’s completely possible that players from Japan are reading the ‘gym. Many Japanese are fluent readers of English: is what’s been posted here over the past few days the impression we want to give of the American players of this game we all love? Sore losers, accusations of cheating, liberally sprinkled with racial slurs?

I myself have been called a ‘***’…as have most Japanese Americans. To me, it’s like a slap in the face to open a post and find that staring up at me; I’d assume the reaction is the same for anyone who finds themselves subjected to their own particular ‘flavor’ of hate speech. Please THINK about what you post: you have no idea just who could be reading here. Unless the term applies to you, you can NOT say ‘it’s not a racist term’ or whatever other excuses I’ve seen for posting this terminology; it’s no less hate speech than other ‘forbidden’ expressions are.

In that vein, I and the other mods/admins of the ‘gym would like to ask that references to Pearl Harbor in referencing Worlds be removed from posts and sig files. This isn’t political correctness run amok; it’s all about making the ‘gym a place where everyone can feel welcome, and about continuing to represent ourselves and our country favorably to other players of our game, no matter where they are from. Say what you like in private, in email, via IM…but the ‘gym’s reputation as ‘the’ place for info/discussion is a double-edged sword: it can cut us down or build us up. Only we, the 'gym's members, can decide which one it’s to be.

'mom

Last edited:
'mom

I would just like to state that I could not agree more fully.

Although 98% of the players there were happy to be there, and, like all of us, amazed when we looked up and saw that the Japanese players had taken all 3 1st place positions, all 3 3rd place positions, and 1 4th place position, when you played these players, you realized that they were just as happy to be at the event as we were.

I was frankly offended when a member of my gym came up and ranted about how things were "taken" from us. These players are every bit as good as we are. (obviously, just a touch better) They have tested, and played this format, for longer than any of us. They obviously knew what was good, hard to counter, and ran with it. It worked.

It was not as if we did not have our moments. 2nd is nothing to sneeze at. 4th is great too!

It would have been more pitiful if one country or the other had taken ALL of the top spots (it easily could have happened, the Americans outnumbered the other countries present). The result truly made it a Worlds result. Did anyone see the end of the 15+ event, the joy on the winner's face, demanding that the 2nd place player get his just due and credit!!! It was truly the "spirit of the game"

We all need to play, and test hard...and get ready for Worlds 2005!!! What a great event to have to repeat.... (oh and for anyone who is curious, I did end up with the giant cloth ring that was suspended above the playing floor, it made its way back to ST. Louis...Now, just how to display it!!!)

Talk to you all soon!

M45

I was fully aware of the japanese power running through worlds. I watched the national championship matches the japanese had friday night. Wow what a match up they had all the way through. They are one great buch of players and deserved all the credit they had. yes as an americna player i was kinda sadened to see them sweep 9 of 12 spots from 4th to 1st but i was also proud to see the home of the game was where most of the greats emerged.

Just like meganium45 i was offended fully by hearing alot fo americans fell japan did a pearl harbor effect on us. Newman who lost to nick capporelli in top 32 said it best,they came in a pack,knew how to play their decks and worked almost every day preping for this event so they knew how to counter out decks and how to handle big game situations. They knew what we played alot in decks and how to topple them. We gotta work harder and poractice more to come back at 05 to take over the spots again.

I say a complete congrats to all japanese players who made top spots and i hope in 2005 i get to see the next japanese nationals becauyse that had to be one of the best tournmants ive ever seen before.

SDPokeMom-Contrats on your parents 50th wedding anniversary

I did hear soem people ask me if they saw you at worlds and they wanted to talk with ya about your pokegym decisions. I also looked for you so i could of gottem my series 1 plusie signed by you.

Hope to see ya next year at wolrds 2005.

Mom - What you found there was the reaction of (most minor) players who are convinced of their own superiority.

There are a few US players who really think they are the best players ever and their opinion is based on what?
They think they are the best because most time an US player gets a high position, but they never looked at the facts.
Now they have faced reality what happens if a foreign country sends more than only 1,2 of in some cases 5 players to an international event. That country can dominate the event because of the amount of good players they did send.

I'm not saying the US players are bad players, because that's not true.
They sure have skills no doubt, but they were there with such a large group that for most other countries the change of being in the top positions is a dream to far.
And because they are not used to see players of other countries taking over top places they complain in a way I only can feel sad about.

I don't know how many players of each country there were at Worlds, but I know the majority was US and then Japanese.
All other countries stayed far behind in representing numbers of players.
So the more people you have in an event, the more change that they end high and US players not used to see a large group of a specific country attending didn't realize winning percentages changes that way.
And in this case the Japanese players were just better and that hurts if you think that your country should be in the top positions.

Worlds is not worlds it's like I said before an US party with some foreigners to make it look international.
I wonder how the deviation in places should be if each country sends exactly 10 players, it would sure look different.

Every player complaining that something is taken from them, I can only answer:
Yes your feeling of superiority is taken from you and let that be a lesson for you.
There is only a time period were some people perform better than do you at that moment, that's doesn't place you above that person, it only tells you that at that point you performed better. And nothing more.

I hope you get my point, because writing this in English can lead to different ways of explaining what I mean.

Li@

Yeah, a lot of us were guilty of that. We didn't hate the Japanese players, we thought they were cool, but I guess the competitive spirit took over..

And just to make sure it's clear, 'mom speaks for all the Gym staff on this.
We chose her to post it since the issue is most personally effecting to her.

I definately second Mom's suggestion to remove the references to Pearl Harbor. I'd like to go a step farther also. There has been too much usage of derogitory terms (J**, Honkey, N***, etc.). While these may not seem offensive to the youngun's that are using they carry quite a bit of meaning (and history) for some of us. Let's clean up the boards and our sig's and let the "Spirit of the Game" extend to da Gym.

Last edited:
Rainbowgym said:
Worlds is not worlds it's like I said before an US party with some foreigners to make it look international.
I wonder how the deviation in places should be if each country sends exactly 10 players, it would sure look different.
Li@

While I tend to disagree with this statement, I do see your point.

What I would like to point out is that in the top 32, over 15 (I beleive the actual number was 17) different countries were represented. That means, that if only one person from each international country was in the field of 32 (a total of 96 players) that they comprised 17% of the total participants.

In fact, it was probably more like 25% considering the large contingent of Japanese, and some other countries (like the Netherlands) having more than one player in the top 32.

Heck, the lone Slovenian player made top 32 (actually advanced to top 16), an effort that did not go unnoticed considering that the entire population of his country is about the same as that of the Seattle Metropolitan area.

So, in my opinion, it was a truly international event, even though the major portion of the attendance definitely came from the USA.

Thanks!

Prof. Dav

Professor Dav, can you tell us the breakdown by percentage of registered players from each country?

For example, if the USA has 900 registered players and 300 USA playeres were at Worlds, then the USA had 33% of it's players there. (I just made up these numbers for an example.)

Dave - if you compare the total population of a country with their representatives you are completely right about the international covering.
All European citizen together will be less then the total population of the US I think, so more US players attending is normal from that point of view.
I only wish for the future that more outside US people have at least more changes to earn an invite. Even when you only win an invite and don't have the money to travel to Worlds it gives a good feeling that you had a change.

Adv1sor - you can't compare with registered players (if you mean having a my Pokemon account) there are so many players of non-english speaking countries who will never be able to sign up because they don't understand all the terms used there.

Mom- I did send you a personal email, I hope you understand what I mean.

Well said Mom...that is why History is sooo important to learn and continue to be reminded of. The majority of the "kids" that post in the Gym are way too young to understand the history or the ramifications of using a "slur" in their everyday languange. This is where the "elders" need to step in, remind them of their place in the world and to edit when necessary. Congrats to your family's accomplishments and may you continue to "mentor" the younger members of the Gym as they post. :)

Keith

I agree with all this, but I'm too lazy to type anything a billionth time, so I will just say.

Go 'mom, it's your birthday, it's your birthday, go 'mom!

EDIT: I guess I could add more to the conversation.

I feel that using of the racial terms was below scum. I really don't care if it was offensive or not, and I feel some people had no right to say if it was or not.

Last edited:
I used the Pearl Harbor in my thread. I apoligize, as i meant NO disrespect by it. The comments you "came home to" sickened me as well. Just unbelievable. Makes EVERY U.S. player look bad.
You've said and done some things I haven't always liked or agreed with but this isn't one of them.
Again , please accept my apoligy the reference I made.

And as for the event,they were better, more prepared and deserved what they got. Have any of you built that deck yet?It covers us like a blanket. Fast, and it hits from nowhere. And again, it covers just about everything we play ( maybe not swampert) but EVERYTHING else. Maxie is broken . Just a great deck for that format.

I found almost every Japanese player and adult I traded with to be nice , honest and respectful. And as for the cheating b.s. see above. Magma is quicker and faster than what we, as U.S. players, brought to the table. Speed kills in this game , always has, always will. They didn't cheat to win, they didn't have to.
And we, as U.S. players, were a 1-1 Bellossom line from having NOBODY in the top 4. Remember that.

I judged 10 & under main event, 15 & over at the grinder. The Japanese players I saw were VERY well mannered, VERY good sports, and VERY good players.
The Japanese did so well for one reason......they were better players. Whoever wants to complain and use racial slurs should spend that time better working on their deck and playing.
One more thing... the PCL staff were very cool, extremly knowledgeable, always friendly. I learned a lot from them and encourage all judges to talk to them if they are at Worlds next year.
Rocketman

Even though i am not Japanese, I am quite offended and ashamed to know that i am from a country where many people are blinded becaue of our constitution. Just because the United States of America gave us freedom of speech doesn't mean we can say anything we want and not care about it. The full concept of Freedom of Speech was to speak your mind without harming others, whether its physically, mentally, OR emotionally

I hate to see Japanese players coming to our boards and think "They really think of us like that? All that we wanted to do was play the game"

Also, think of it like this...

Companies from Japan made the Gameboy game, which expanded into items such as accessories, pencils, pens, and the card game. Without Creatures and Gamefreak, Wizards of the Coast wouldnt have introduced this game to American players, We wouldnt have the Pokegym, we wouldnt have a City/State/National/Regionals/Worlds tournament, and most of all, we wouldnt have The Compendium, WHO GAVE US THESE MESSAGE BOARDS SO THAT WE CAN CONNECT WITH OTHER POKEMON PLAYERS FROM NOT ONLY OUR AREA, BUT FROM OTHER AREAS AND EVEN FROM OTHER COUNTRIES. Japan litterally gave us so much AND THIS IS HOW A FEW PEOPLE PAY THEM BACK!

My rant is over. At the moment, im trying to keep the last bit of sanity i still have before going nuts.

As for Japan, Domo Arigato (sp?) for giving us this game.

I wasn't at worlds, but I completely agree with 'mom. The actions of some members of this message board were completely unacceptable. They have done exactly what a lot of the world thinks of us. A bunch of arrogant, cocky, stubborn people who can't take a loss. If you want to get a point across, offensive remarks and bending stories won't do it. I've worked with Japanese people for the better part of my life, and they are some of the nicest, polite people you could ever meet. We have in a sense, lost face, if anyone understands the term.

If anyone is still angry over having Japan sweeping worlds. Instead of ranting and rationalizing your loss with outrageous accusations, which I won't get into, get ready for 2005.

Very well said 'Mom.

Some people have gone away from this event seeking to 'do better' & 're-claim'. Is it possible that what is needed to do better at respecting the game and opponent and re-claiming an honorable reputation as an player and a guest? Once those things are pwned, victory will mean something. Without them, the victorious player is nothing but a powerful...smell.

The Japanese players were wonderful! They're great players, of course, but they are wonderful people, too. They were so polite and courteous. My son had to play 3 or 4 of them in the main event, and we all had the opportunity to play and trade with them up in the lobby on some of the other nights. We had a great time with them.

Last edited:
Though I think I've had some disagreements with Mom in the past. This time I have to say she's dead on. Come one guys this is far from what pokemon is about. The world championships is all about people from all over the world coming together to play and just interact from one another. I didn't see the heart to speak up till now but I have to say I'm really disgusted by how people are acting.

So what if the Japanese players came with there magma decks and won a few titles. Take a moment and think about it. What are we always doing here? We're metagaming one another, fighting among ourselves that we're too ignorant of what the rest of the world is doing and then we get all surprised when they beat us? Give me a break. If we were smart we'd realize that they have a much tighter format of sets they can play in japan (I think Someone told me they are MagmaVs. Aqua on) so they don't have things like Raquaza, Blazeken, Gardy and the rest. So wouldn't you figure that their decks would be tighter run? I mean look at whats in those things? Briney is the only thing (some had reporters I believe) that was not out of Magma.

Personally I think the big deal is that all the people complaining about them winning are just too stuck up and sore losers to take and say "Hey great job. You have a really awsome deck there." Now personally I don't think I played against any of the Japanese players. But you know what. Even though I knew what they were playing I would have done my best and in the end I would end it just the same as any other game. A firm handshake and a nice job to my opponent. See you guys are looking at this in the wrong sense. What's done is done and saddly we have a need to complain about it. It's all in the past though and really what is making all these names and whatnot going to do? Japan won't return to the US and thus we lose worlds and "Spirit Of the Game."

And hey I don't know about you but I learned from worlds. I learned that maybe we need to stop and take a closer look at all these cards we're overlooking. Cause you know what? In the end I think we're all just mad that Japan saw a combo that none of us did. Simply because we were too fixated on the sheer power of the EXs that we missed the speed a deck like Magma can have over them.

So let's just stop all this garbage and get back to the game we love. This years worlds is over but I'm getting set up for next year already. What we need to remember is that it's not about winning. It's about "Spirit of the Game." Bigdaddysnorelax was absolutely right when he said that no other game has it. Magic has rampant cheating. So much that it is almost legal and expected. DBZ is just filled with heartless people to bent on running everyone down with their super decks and great infinate loop combos.

But pokemon to me is much better. Not because of the game but because of the people that play it. So join with me Pokemon Players and let's show the whole world why we really do have teh best game in the WORLD. Let's show them Spirit of the Game.

-Eevee trainer

Back