Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Why the fascination with wager?

sonyT

I read two reports of state wins (CA and FL) and both of them have Team galactic wagers in their decks.

The wager says that you shuffle in your cards, play rock, paper and scissor and winner takes 6 looser takes 3 cards.

Why would you want to take a chance on giving six cards to your opponent?

Why not use another supporter that allows you discard your hand and get 5 new cards instead.

Am I missing something?

Sony,
The chance to give your opponent 6 different cards than they have been used to is reason enough. You should always kindly ask your opponent for "cards in hand" before wagering. Never wager when your opponent's hand is already crippled(3 or less). This is typically known as "disruption".

sonyT, the card is used because it offers soft hand disruption. Look at Metagross ex from Power Keepers and you'll see it's Poke-Power does something of the same thing. However, nobody's going to concentrate on getting Metagross ex out just to do that power. Team Galactic's Wager offers an easy alternative.

For a comparison ask some people about last season. We didn't even have any hand disruption, which many agree is a critical part of the game. The Holon Engine became absolutely essential/overused because of this (Holon Engine = 4 Holon Transceiver with small amounts of the Holon Supporter cards). Even though Team Galactic's Wager is a goofy, random card, it's needed simply because it can take your opponent's 15+ card hand down to 6 (or even 3).

I still miss Rocket's Admin. Should've been a POP3 or 4 reprint.

Another key element is the introduction of Claydol and Porygon2. I am not sure of the decks you listed, but if they have these in them, this is a good reason why Wager. If Claydol is present, then you are going to be able to reload to 6 anyway so wager doesn't hurt you necessarily if you lose. If playing P2, there is a chance you will get another supporter to download or play to help increase hand size or search.

IMHO that is why wager is finding itself back into the mix. Wager provides hand disruption for those using Furrett draw and to eliminate large hands your opponent might have!

SOTG!!

~Prof. Fish~

Wager is a painful counter to Furret's Keen Eye. If just used an attack to take two cards that I absolutely want out of my deck then my opponent Wagers and makes me put them right back. Well it's not my favorite moment. (The same is true if someone plays Bebe or Celio on T1 and can't evolve).

i think the fascination with wager is caused by the american gambling addiction. theres a 50% chance youll get the result you want, which is better than any slot machine.

Back