Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

WI State Championship Report

HypnosProjectHQ

Ok... it was 5:45 AM when I got up. I ate breakfast, did my couple chores, changed my clothes, gathered by things, and walked out the door at 7:15. My mom drove my brother and I from Oconomowoc, WI (where we live) to Pewaukee, WI (where we met my friend Jas). We met Jas at the Capital Drive Cinema, and we picked her up. From there, we went 10 minutes down the street to the park and ride on 164. Thats where we met Brozen Lizard and his son Calvin. Cody (my brother), Jas (my best friend), and I hopped in, crushing our belongings between us and our feet. We then took off for Manitowoc, WI.

In the car, during the 1 hour and 15 minute drive, I went through Jas's cards. She hadn't played since last July when we won Broken Lizard's Team Theme tournament. I ended up building her a BAR deck, because she didn't have a whole lot to work with. I borrowed her a Blaziken ex, and Broken Lizard borrowed her a Rayquaza ex. I also gave her multiples of my Rare Candy, TV Reporter, Juggler, Mareep, Torchic, Skitty, and Delcatty (Energy Draw). She put all of these into her deck. For being her first time in nearly a year of playing, she had a pretty good deck to work with.

Once we reached Manitowoc, we started to organize our things in the car. I grabbed by "big red box", my backpack with my binders, CDs, and CD player in it, and all of our lunches. Cody grabbed his money and his deck. Jas grabbed her soda and her deck. Broken Lizard grabbed his belongings. Calvin grabbed... his GBASP. ;)

Once we got inside Riverview Elementry School where the tournament was to be held, it was 9:45 AM. The tournament was supposed to start at 10:00 AM. With the TO being late, some late entries, and a few late deck lists, the actually tournament didn't start until 11:15. At 11:15, the TO announced that all VIP players could find their VIP packages on a table with their name on it. They should be able to keep their belongings at that table all day AND be able to play there. Being that I felt lonely, I let Niki, Jas, and Cody play all their games at my table too!

First Round v. 00
By time! I got to decorate the sign that said "Table saved for Derrick Krenke". We decided to name the table... what should we name it? The McDORB table? The McDORB Lair? HypnosProjectHQ's Domain? Well, it got all those names along with a bit of teenie tiny text. The sheet's main text now went... "Table saved for Derrick Krenke & Brookfield POP Players". And if you're asking why I know this, its because I brought the sing home with me because its beautiful. 1-0; 3 points

Second Round v. Sara (Ludicolo/Crawdaunt/Arcanine/Salamence/Flareon)
Ok... how was that deck supposed to work...? Blaziken ex 4th turn. I KOed 5 benced Pokemon with him (thanks to Mc). My last KO was with Blaziken. Game. 2-0; 6 points

Third Round v. Nicholas (Wailord/ex/Linoone)
OMG! I was playing the only undefeated 10- person... I was rather afraid at first...
I was down by 3 prizes because of a freaking retarded start with 2 lone Minor Errand Running Skittys. Jas grabbed my dice that I used, she put some sort of hex on them, and I was able to come back for a win. 3-0; 9 points

They took a break for lunch, and told everyone that we would all be getting a free can of pizza and 2 free slices of pizza. I thought this was very nice, and it just about made up for our entry fee right there. During lunch, when I was talking to TheDeuce, Broken Lizard came by and wrote "CRANKY" above my last name on my table sign. That prankster... ;)

Fourth Round v. Josh (Shedinja)
After about having a heart attack when I came back during the last game, I was trying to figure out how Josh could have been undefeated to this point. Well, I start his losing streak of three games during the tournament when I beat him with my Torchic I left on my bench. Why do people tell me what they are playing before the tournament!?! 4-0; 12 points.

In the entire tournament, there were only 2 other people that were undefeated. Both were in the 15+ division, so I wasn't bothered in the least bit. By this point, I made top 8 automatically. My next 2 games didn't even matter.

Fifth Round v. Kevin (Blaziken/Sceptile ex)
How did he manage to only pick up one loss so far? Fortunatly, I beat him pretty simply. His deck really looks like it can bite the dust. How can even manage running those 2 stage 2 lines in the same deck!?! I managed to beat him. His only evolved Pokemon all game was a Combusken. I used Pokemon Reversal to bring it up for the KO. 5-0; 15 points.

I hung around with Jas for a while. She told me she was having a great time, so I was extremely happy for her. Then she said she'll start coming to league again Wednesday nights! Chi-Ching!

After hanging with Jas, I went to watch the 2 15+ players who were 4-0 before the 5th round battle it out in their tournament match. Marriland ended up winning. That meant he was my final opponent of the Swiss rounds.

Sixth Round v. Marriland (BlazikenEX variant)
I really have no clue what else he was playing. Then again, I didn't care, because as soon as he KOed his opponent's last Pokemon, I asked him if he would draw the next round with me because we were both 5-0 AND were the only 2 in the tournament AND were in different divisions anyways. Of course, he said "yes", and we shook on it. IDing is good! 5-0-1; 16 points

I've never ever gotten 16 points in one whole tournament before, so I was extremely proud of myself... I mean... extremely proud of Magma's Claydol, which everyone doubted! :p

Marriland (Devin) and I talked a bunch. He gave me the URL to his site, and I gave him the one to mine. Then, I went to talk to Jas again. I wanted to made sure she won her final Swiss match.

She had. Her record was 4-2, and she was assured at least 7th seed in the top 8. For not playing in almost a year, she did EXCELLENT.

Now was the time for top 8. There were quite a few birthdate errors that made people (like me) extremely angry. When I got my real opponent, it was Joe from our own Team Brookfield. Darn... I always beat him at league, but he always gets extremely lucky in tournaments. I'm always paired against him near the end of tournaments. I always lose...

First Match of Top 8 v. Joe Miller (Gardivoir/ex/Wobbuffet/Hypno)
God dang kid... I was completely slaughtered in the first match of 2/3. He gets so dang lucky. I'm starting to think that he palms his cards...

Second Match of Top 8 v. Joe Miller
This time, he got completely set up. Only thing was was that he had a gigantic energy drought. Heh. My chance to bring out Rayqyaza ex for last prize! ;)

Third Match of Top 8 v. Joe Miller
We had 10 minuted left on the clock. I was super angry, because we were 1/1. Of course, when Jas isn't either sitting next to me or standing behind me, I get crappy draws, tails all the time, etc. I lost... miserably...

On the way home, Calvin and Cody were extremely annoying. The prizes in the car of 5 were as follows...
Jas- 4 packs
Me - 4 packs; VIP package from CCs; birthday present pack from Jas; birthday present Charmeleon Promo from Jas
Calvin - 9 packs (the 10- divison only had 5 people...)
Cody - Nada
Lizard - Nada

Overall, this was my best birthday ever.
Props to...
-TOs for getting us free food
-Jas for being the best best friend a guy could have ;)
-TheDeuce for having a first round by with me
-Team Chicago for being SO well represented (lmfao... yea right...)
-Team Brookfield for having a whole 4/8 people make it it the top 8
-Lizard for driving
-Marriland for being a cool guy... nice meeting ya... see ya round!

Slops to...
-Cody for giving Calvin a Code Red...
-Judge for making some wrong rulings AND coaching some of his own league kids games
-Niki, Jim, Cody, and Jared for not doing better then they had... good job though guys!
-My Parents Basement staff for charging us too much for the sleeves
-PUI for putting Pokemon stampers in the VIP packages
-Not being able to trade for a Suicune ex
-Cody for losing his deck and bothering me during my match in the top 8
-Joe for being a lucky jerk who I think is palming cards now...

It was still my best birthday ever... and now, since the state champs are done for me, here is the deck list that has been disclosed for the past 2 months...

McDORB v. 1.0
Pokemon (21)
4 Torchic (D)
4 Blaziken (RS)
1 Blaziken ex (TMTA)
2 skitty (RS #44)
2 Delcatty (RS)
2 Team Magma's Baltoy (TMTA)
2 Team Magma's Claydol (TMTA)
3 Dunsparce (SS)
1 Rayquaza ex (D)

Trainers (22)
4 TV Reporter
4 POR
4 Rare Candy
3 Pokemon Reversal
2 Warp Point
2 Switch
2 Oracle
1 Town Volunteers

Energy (17)
14 Fire
3 Multi

Now that the State Champs are over, I best oull apart this deck... NOT! People doubted me at first, but only 5-0-1 tells the truth. All I have to say is... "JOE, IF YOU TOOK FIRST I'LL HAVE TO BEAT YOU WITH A BIG, BIG STICK!"

;) - HypnosProjectHQ

P.S. - I am now 14! :)

Last edited:
woo-hoo I feel privaliged that I won the 15+ Division in Manitowac (SP?). That was hard man thank god it was best out of 3 in the semis and finals. Can't wait to go to Nationals. :D

Here is my deck I used:
3 Ralts ( Sandstorm )
1 Ralts R/S #66

2 Kirlia ( Ruby and sapphire)
2 Gardevoir EX
3 Gardevoir
3 Wobbuffett
2 Wynaut

3 TV Reporter
4 Oaks Research
3 Copycat
3 Bill's Maintenence
3 moo-moo milk
3 Potion
3 Rare Candy
2 Warp Point
2 Crystal Shard

14 Psychic Energy
4 Boost Energy

Last edited:
"-Judge for making some wrong rulings AND coaching some of his own league kids games"

Could you elaborate on that? Some of the people at my league complained of this as well.

Wow, that sure was a pretty interesting deck. Why only 1 Bex, might I ask? I do see the whole combo with TM's Claydol + Bex (having TM's Claydol as Wobb TecH) and attaching the other Fire Energy from your hand each turn to keep Volcanic Ash going, but if that Blaziken ex falls in your prizes... x_x;

Also, I find it funny that you had to play my friend, Nicolas, hehe.

Anyway, congrats again on a 5th place finish! Unfortunately I know how it is to get absolutely nothing in Elimination. Stupid Torchic and TV Reporters cost me a game which I probably would've won :(

Back