Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Wigglytuff's Hocus Pinkus

zoosh

Greetings! My son and I are learning Pokemon and have started with the Yvetal vs Xerneas Arena Battle Decks. We love these decks but I need a ruling on a question.

Wigglytuff's second ability Hocus Pinkus (http://www.pokemon.com/us/pokemon-tcg/pokemon-cards/xy-series/xy1/89/) states: "The Defending Pokémon can't attack during your opponent's next turn." So, in addition to doing 60 HP of damage, does this ability put the opponent's Active Pokemon in a kind of *permanent lock-down* from attacking until knocked out or retreated? If so, that seems like an awfully powerful ability.

Please let us know ASAP how to play this card's ability. We are excited to get back to playing but don't won't to play incorrectly! Thanks in advance!

(Edit: 42 views and no replies as of yet?)

Last edited:
Well, the effect only lasts for the one turn. Of course, Wigglytuff can apply it again the next turn, so unless a new Pokemon becomes active, yes, it could be a permanent lockdown.

Ah, but "if a new Pokemon becomes active"..!

Either the "locked", Defending Pokemon will be Knocked Out at some point and a new Pokemon will become active, or the opponent can Retreat or Switch the affected Defending Pokemon and bring up a new Pokemon. Or that Pokemon can evolve and become a new Pokemon.
In any of those cases, that new Pokemon is not affected by the effect that was placed on the original Defending Pokemon and is free to attack.
Hope that helps.

Back