Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Will Dodrio UD be an effective tech in a potentially HG/SS on format?

sToRm07

Dodrio HG/SS

Since we lose warp energy, warp point, and unown, q out of this format, as well as most free retreat basics, I think it might be pretty playable - especially in tandem with the smeargler.

Garchomp cannot gobble it alive next format! But it can still be sniped or dragged out by other less insane pokes. I can already seeing some say that the next format is still going to be too fast for dodrio, and who knows? that could be true.

thoughts? Please discuss.

I'm not really a big fan of Dodrio SV, I'd rather dedicate 2 spots (or 4, or 6, however big Dodrio line you're running) to some more consistency cards.

However, Dodrio UD did catch my eye. I just haven't found anything that's needed it yet. It sounds especially useful next format because -- as you said -- we lose Unown Q and Warp Energy. Additionally, though we do keep Switch we're still looking at a format with trainer locks so it may not be as useful. But like I said I can't think of anything that would need it right now. It's something to keep in mind when looking over a deck next format.

Running this with Smeargle would also be interesting. Not only would it help Smeargle, but whatever your main attacker was too. Maybe in a deck with like 3 Switches you could Switch out, Portrait, and then retreat for free. I was trying to think of a way to get Portrait to work all game next format, but the only solution I could think of was a free retreat attacker.

I doubt we'll see this card at all; many times in the past Pokemon with similar Powers have been printed and not used, and just about every rotation the question comes up whether they will be viable lol. And time and time again, the answer is they're never used because either something new comes along or people just suck up and pay the Retreat Cost. So yeah...this thing won't be played if history teaches us anything; if anything it might show up as an awkward tech in random decks initially, but that'll die out by BRs probably.

I could see it possibly with vileplume. There are just so many funky things you can do with most guys having a free retreat cost and your opponent not being able to disrupt you under trainer lock.

you could have a smeargle, and it would most likely survive w/trainer lock, and you could use it all game. Of course you can't make a super clunky deck, but I could see a Vileplume/smeargle/dodrio/insertpokemonhere deck.

Well, Jungle Dodrio was pretty good back in the day.
Dodrio UD is basically an improved Jungle Dodrio.
A potential HGSS-on format would probably be the closest thing to what Base-on was.(<- Likely a lot more nuanced than that).
So yeah, I could see Dodrio UD being pretty good. The question is, Dodrio's Power probably benefits Pokemon with retreats of 2-3, as any fewer and it's not worth it, and with 4+ retreat it doesn't do enough. So what good Pokemon are there in HGSS-on with 2-3 retreat?(Also, remember, Psychic types might just use Metagross, though then again, maybe not, since it's a Stage 2 and all.)

how bout this...it takes a 1-1 spot in a lot of my hgss deck ideas right now...

No luxray makes it a LOT more viable...

how bout this...it takes a 1-1 spot in a lot of my hgss deck ideas right now...

No luxray makes it a LOT more viable...

Could not agree more. Catcher will bite it hard though, whenever it is released lol.

Also garchomp gobbles it in 1 hit too... that really is lame.

I think Smeargle and dodrio will be awesome together. Losing q really hurts...

Back