Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Witten report, breaking the metagame?

Kevin89

Witten Challenge 19 march 2005
55 participants
15+: 33
14-: 23

(not sure about the 11-14 and 15+ though)

Okay, So, since last week, I’ve been looking trough EX: Deoxys for decent cards, well, then I saw Shiftry, and I tested all kinds of Back up with it, “perfecting” the deck as it is.

Now, 3-18, I decided to send my brother, who hasn’t played Pokemon for a year, to the 11-14, with a DragTrode deck, I wanted to learn him everything about the deck, but wanted to watch DVD.. -.-

Oh well, 3-19, driving for Witten at 6:00 AM, sick.
On the road we laughed at the German names for the exits (Ausfart)
At 9.00, We arrived at the place, but we decided to stay in the car, waiting for the other Dutchies to arrive (Rainbowgym / Lia & Co)

After a minute or 5, 10, we saw them circulating around the parking place XD
So I walked to them, and we went to the Haus der Jugend.

The deck:

ShapeShift

Pokemon: 22
1 Jirachi HL
3 Dunsparce SS
2 Chichou HL
2 Lanturn HL
2 Clamperl HL
2 Gorebyss HL
2 Seedot DX
2 Seedot SS
3 Nuzleaf SS
2 Shiftry DX
1 Shiftry HL

Trainer: 21
3 Prof. Oak’s Research FRLG
4 Steven’s Advice HL
3 TV Reporter DR
2 Desert Ruins HL
1 Master Ball DX
1 Rocket’s Admin. TRR
1 VS Seeker FRLG
1 Rare Candy SS
1 Crystal Shard DX
1 Celio’s Network FRLG
1 Life Herb FRLG
1 Switch RS
1 Copycat TRR

Energy: 17
6 Psychic Energy
4 Double Rainbow Energy
3 Rainbow Energy
2 Scramble Energy
1 Multi Energy
1 Grass Energy

So, In my metagame, draggy kinda died, so you could consider this breaking a metagame =)

Round 1, VS Behrad Hasseini, with DragTrode
Game 1:
Ok, He starts godly, sars for voltorbs and dratini, I used jirachi to search for early Lanturns, and PORing like crazy cause I couldn’t find my crystal shard. So, he sends up Draggy, to kill Jirachi and a Dunsparce, then I use a Gorebyss to do 80 damage, planning to KO draggy with a Shiftry, he retreats for a electrode, and kills my Byss, I send up Shiftry, and do 60 damage with Stadium power, He sends up TR Sneasel, and does an exact 110 damage with 4 darkness >_<
I sent up Lanturn, scrambling to do 90 to the Sneasel, KO, He Sends up another electrode, and KO’s my Lanturn, from there I couldn’t recover, and found out that my shard was in my last two prizes >_<

Game 2:
He starts exactly the same, and I start a bit weaker, I get a quick Shiftry HL, and I’m able to KO sparce and damaging his electrodes, I POR a lot again to find the shard, but couldn’t get it, so, He does 70 with an electrode, and I KO him, He sends up a draggy, and I use Lanturn with DRE to do 80, from there, I drew pretty bad, and it took a while for building up something to KO again, then, he benches TR Mewtwo EX, which gets pretty much screwed by desert ruins, he KO’s something, and I use Lanturn to KO TR Sneasel EX, drawing 2 prizes, leaving one left.
He sends up Mewtwo, which had 80 damage by now, and KO’s my Lanturn, drawing his last prize (I was confused and playing quick because we had only 3 minutes left, if I had just paralyzed (gorebyss) his sneasel, I could win >_<

0-1

Round 2, VS Heinz Könings, with Blasty ex/ Quagsire
I start real bad (though 1-1-1 Shiftry in hand), and he starts a KO fest with T2 Quagsire, I finally draw a POR, and able to DRE a Lanturn for the KO, from there, I KO’d some squirtles and Qwilfish, till prizes were equal, since scramble wasn’t providing anymore.
I set up 2 Shiftry DX, and wait for energy, he eventually gains Blasty ex, and KO’s Lanturn, prizes were 2-1 now, I send up Shiftry 1, doing 60 for stadium power, and let desert ruins do its work. , he does 80 and removes an DRE, I retreat for Shiftry 2, and KO the stoise for my last two prizes.

Game 2:
I start godly, Sarring for chinchou’s and seedots, and PORing everything I need, and I’m able to KO a lot due DRE and Lanturn, and finishing it with a gorebyss which did 120 by then =)

1-1

Round 3, VS Sebastien Schröder, With Dark crobat/ Crobat EX/ Togetic
Game 1:
He starts with a lone togepi, I with a lone clamperl, I begin, I attach a psychic, he attaches a grass energy, making me asleep, I draw nothing, passing to him, he flips mini-metronome heads for 10 damage and paralyzing me, I topdeck POR, attach a multi energy, play POR, gaining a master ball, which gets me gorebyss, Game.

Game 2: He starts a lot better now, we both setup, and he goes quick dark crobat poisoning and doing 30 to my tree, I do 60 with a Shiftry, then he S! TMs for a golbat (D bat was Candied) and tries to evolve directly in Crobat EX, I call a judge, since S! TM says: “this counts as evolving”, and he confuses me, I Search for lanterns, just in case, but flip heads though for confusion, knocking out his golbat, he cant do much, so I use Lanturn for the final knock out.

2-1

round 4, VS Kai-Andre Sieper, with Ludicolo/Magcargo
Game 1: He starts with lotad, I try to T2 KO him with DRE and nuzleaf SS, which doesn’t work, though, I can get Shiftry T3, Knocking out lotads, slugma’s, and a Dunsparce, He eventually gets the ludicolo magcargo combo, but by then my gorebyss was able to do 100, Knocking out about everything

Game 2:
I laugh at him using Lanturn T2 to knock out everything.

3-1

Round 5 VS Cetin Yildirim, with Blaziken/Pidgeot
Game 1: He starts AWFUL, really, I feel sorry for him, I use T2 Shiftry HL and DRE to quick KO pidgey and Dunsparce, he sends up another sparce, paralyzing me for 3 turns o_O
Sick, I eventually draw life herb and flip heads, removing paralyze and 4 damage counters, I knock out more, till he gets blaze EX, which took a little longer to knock out, but, I won.

Game 2: We both start bad, but one of us used a rockets admin, getting great hands for both of us, I built up gorebysses, but sent up a Shiftry, knocking out early basics, then he gets the engine running (when I had 4 prizes left), he does 40 vs. my tree, and I shard his quaza EX, that hurts.
He then ATMs me, knocking out both shiftry’s and discarding about 2 DRE’s and a scramble o_O, I try to rebuild, then he sends up blaze EX, and knocks out one of my gorebyss.
I played desert ruins again, and I paralyze (yay) him, + doing 20 damage, he already ran out of switches and warp points (or were prized?), and passes, I topdeck scramble (prizes were 2-1 then) omfg, that felt like.. wow XD doing 120 +10 for desert ruins = game.

4-1

Round 6 VS Konstantin Beck, With Ludicolo/Magcargo
Game 1: clamperl vs slugma, I attach psychic, he collect’s, I used celio for gorebyss, attach a rainbow, game.
Game 2: I start bad, real bad, I finally drew an energy, and I made a wish (yeah, it got me a lanturn) , his lombre knocks out my jirachi next turn, and I sent up lanturn, using his power and attaching DRE for the KO. He then only had camerupt left, which I did 80 to with the DRE, and a next DRE finished it.
5-1

Wow, except for round 1, that went great, my deck worked fine, and all games and opponents were great to play against =)
I came in 2nd, out of 32 15+ players, making the cut.

T8 VS Jens Voss with Dark weezing, Dark Arbok, Dark Muk

I start great, he too, but I manage to get 2 DRE in my hand and a scramble, and a lanturn ready for the knock-out fest.
BUT, he decided to rockets admin… which got me a reaaaal bad hand ( a lot of basic pokemon), then I fanned away every attacker just to stall, until I drew POR, which got me at least one DRE and a Steven =)
Then, I send up lanturn, doing 40 first, and then knocking out his dark beasts, because he had a rockets hideout in play, and I couldn’t find a desert ruins, when I had 1 or 2 prizes left, I finally got a ruins, then he gave up.

Game 2: I start great, not godly, but not bad at least, and I use gorebyss for early KO’s, then he R energy his dark weezing, knocking out my byss, then, I got stuck, eventually, I got a Shiftry, which slashes trough a lot of pokemon, then I got a Lanturn, and gorebyss, and had an army vs Dark pokemon with no energy, using Shiftry team up (Fan away + Shiftry HL main attacking) to win.

Quarter Finals VS The German Champ (Dennis Draheim) with blaziken

Game 1: I actually don’t remember much of this game, but he started bad, so did I,
But when I used shiftry + DRE + shard + Desert ruins, he couldn’t recover.
Game 2: ok, I had tons of luck this game, it wasn’t even funny o_O
Ok, we both started fast, and I used sar + make a wish to get quick gorebysses and Lanturns, he sent ray to KO jirachi, I sent the energy to lanturn, and attach DRE for the KO (desert ruins was there already) he sends up another quaza, which, I think, I knocked out with Shiftry DX, then, he gets blazy X, Knocking out Gorebyss, I sent up another byss, and KO for the last 2 prizes.

Finals VS Toni Lampert With Crobat X and Dark Crobat.
Game 1: We both started out quick both SaR, and I made wishes for lanturn and shiftry, I used shiftry to fan away the important pokemon, and KO’ed them with Shiftry , he gets the combo (2 dark Crobat, 2 bat X) and uses Dark Crobat to poison + skill dive vs shiftry, I do 60, and desert ruins damages the Crobat EX’s, then, he KO’s my shiftry, I got a little too enthusiastic and lay damage counters on the bats for ruins, since Lanturn’s power is triggered in your turn, and desert ruins is between, I couldn’t save the energy, which messes me up, I DRE lanturn for the KO, and again for Cro X, but then I couldn’t retreat for shiftry, cause I was missing that energy, and got stuck, he KO’s lanturn, leaving us both with one prize left, I sent up chinchou with one energy, and copycatted, if one of my prizes was DRE, or lanturn, I lost, I may draw 11 cards for the copycat (out of my 16 card deck) and got both lanturn and DRE, so I won. Great Game =)
Game 2 sucked, he gets nothing, I get a quick shiftry HL with DRE (T2), and KO everything, I built up some lanturn, just in case =)

1st.
I received a medal, a trophy, and 18 DX boosters, yay =)
On the way back home, we really got irritated because we almost ran out of fuel, and apparently, in Germany, there is no gas station in 80 kilometers (50 miles), when we finally found 2 (yeah, next to each other >_>) we could go back home.

Props:
- Organization team, the tournament was real good organized.
- My dad, driving us to Germany.
- Frans , trading Pidgeots and nice to talk to =)
- Lia, Jasper, Arnoud, you rock
- The chocolate in Germany.
- My deck, I fell in love with it
- Arco, nice to talk to
- Maxim, mental support? XD
- Dutch team, 2 out of 6 in Top 8, the others all 3 swiss wins, I think
- My brother, picking up the game in one day
- German “schnitzel”
- All others I forgot to thank

Slops:
- Germany, for not having gas stations anywhere (45 minutes-search for 1)
- Cheaters, if there were any, UGH
- Our (Dutch) local distributor
- My dad, for being not there when you could order pizza (long story)
- My brother when he was complaining a bit too much on the way back
- All others i forgot to give slops to =)

~Kevin

Last edited:
Go Kevin Go

I will stay with it, in 15+ you are the best our country has, a Creative very good Player.
I'm looking forward untill campingtime is there again (end april), because I will keep on trying to beat you.
That's the best I have to offer you as descent competition, but that's not to blame on me.

The Westfalen Challenge was a competition with 56 players. One of the players arrived when the third round has already started, because his train was too late.

If there was any kind of cheating, it would have been better, you told a judge about it.

Greets, Bernd Draheim, TO

i haven`t seen anyone cheating but if there was one i would have reported it to a jugde, it is something i always put in my slops.

Thank you Lia

It wasn`t an accusation to you or anyone else Bernd.

and I'm surprised that not a single american has seen this or my decklist in deck & strategy and go like: omg! omg! 3 dunsparce, how can u possibly win?!!!

but lia, you mean that there were many or few gardy decks? =o

Last edited:
well done kevin.
you've showed how good the international players are at this game and that this isn't just a game for americans and japanese. also, the fact that you were prepared to drive to a different COUNTRY to play in a modified tourney shows just how much you are commited to the game.
keep it up, and with any luck, you'll be at worlds this year.
:clap:

Many

I played between rounds against one and saw a few of them around at least more than I expected.
Did you also noticed the many Ludicolo/Magcargo decks?

Yea, played versus two of them, well, I haven't seen much of Konstantien's XD but I'm sure it's pretty good, if it had won 4 times by then.
The other deck was good, if you don't have to play versus lightning, that is.

I haven't played versus a gardy. (I would like to, though, hehe)
I've seen like, 2, and heard of others, but i wasn't surprised, with the return of boost, gardy revived (not like before, but at least a little bit XD)

It surprised me that I didn´t saw any Sally decks
I brought mine and played to a gardy seck between rounds and I wonn
He had KO ed all My sally Ex but then found out that with his Pidgeot gone he can´t do anything usefull anymore

Kevin - I wish you luck and am glad that you wonagain
Thnx to all german people that made my day by Trading with me so much but couldn+t get my Rayquaza´s *

Last edited:
On the tournament the following of deck were particularly frequent:

6X Crobat Versions
6X Blaze Versions
4X Dark Heart
4X Gardevoir versions
2X Monarchie
5X Ludicolo/Marcago
3X Blastoise Versions
3X Metagross/Deoxys Versions

The remainder was usually only 1-2 times present

German Board: http://www.etcg.de/

Kevin89 said:
and I'm surprised that not a single american has seen this or my decklist in deck & strategy and go like: omg! omg! 3 dunsparce, how can u possibly win?!!!

omg! omg! 3 dunsparce, how can u possibly win?!!!

Nah, we're not that stupid. You have a Jirachi as a "substition" for your 4th Dunsparce. Athough I'm pretty sure you would have really benefitted from a Swoop! Teleporter so you could Swoop! from Dunsparce to Jirachi if you got it in your hand. You could drop the Life Herb for it. You really don't need Life Herb. =/

GJ with the winning in Witten. Come back to Worlds again this year, you did great last year.

congratz kevin =)

here is my torunament report

Eventually, the Westfalen Challenge was about to get going and til the end for registration a total of 56 players were registered for the tournament.
At 10:30 we slowly got started and the first pairings were about to get hang out.

First Round v. Mirko Jaros (Blaziken/ Charizard_ex)
In both games it was quite easy for me, because his deck isn’t the best around, but way better than his deck form last time though. He never did really had a chance to build up his bench and in the first game he was just able to evolve a charmander. But i just beat his pokemon with rayquaza_ex (dr).
2:0
3 Points

Second Round v. Petra Mantzel(Ludicolo/Magcargo)
If Petra and I play at the same tournamen, then it usually happens that i am playing her. It was like that this time again and we had to play. I didn’t really had a good match-up, but that didn’t stop me from trying my best. In our first game she didn’t really draw anything and my deck was running pretty good. I had time to build my bench and then I just finished with rayquaza_ex(dr) pretty easy. The second game didn’t seem to be very easy at the beginning, but a second turn blaziken_ex was just to quick and she didn’t have a chance at all.
6 Points

Third Round v. Sascha Nadolny(Crobat_ex)
The first and only one from hannover i had to play. I didn’t feel very comfortable, because I never really had the chance to play against crobat. I had a dream start in the first game and he did some mistakes. One was he wanted to evolve golbat to crobat_ex in the belief that the double rainbow energy would stay on it...so he just wasted an attack and I got 2 prizes. The second game was similar...I had a good start again and he didn’t, what just meant Game for him.
9 Points

Fourth Round v. Konstantin Beck(Ludicolo/Magcargo)
The second ludicolo deck I had to play today. It didn’t really like me J. The first game was just awesome. I had a Pidgeot really quick and that gave me the rest real quick. That was an easy win for the first game. In the second game something went wrong really bad. I had a pidgey active and he had a lotad. He attacked me and did 10 damage. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any supporters to bring me any basics, so i just attacked with corner. In his second turn he evolved his lotad to lombre, attached energy, attacked and he flipped heads...40 damage and knock out. The third game didn’t work out very good either. I had a pidgey start again, but i was able to build it up, but apparently not enough, because he brought a camerupt (dx) in play and he just killed my torchics on the bench, so i lost that game, too.
1:2
9 Points

Fifth Round v. Behrad Hosseini(Dark Heart)
I just though “Revenge is Sweet”, because sometime I had to give him my payback for the loss from the last tournament =). Even though he was able to build up his pkmn, I just knocked out his ex- pokemon with my blaziken_ex, because dark heart has just no chance to defeat a blaziken_ex. I think he was able to knock one out though, but then I just brought another one out and kicked his butt. That is how both games went. He build up but he lost against blaziken_ex
12 Points

Sixth Round v. Sebastian Wals(Blasteton)
He had a real good start in the first game and he had a blastoise_ex with energys out. He knocked out a random dunsparce, but then my rayquaza_ex(dr) just knocked his toise out. After that he couldn’t really start anything new and I just won the first game. In the second game he didn’t even had a chance from beginning on. His magneton couldn’t do anything and then I played Mt. Moon and that was game for him.
15 Points

So I was qualified as third for the Top8. In my first game I had to play against Cetin Yildirim (PidRaBla), even though I wanted to play against him in the finales...lol...but oh well, it shouldn’t work like this this time and we had our game in the quarter finals.
He started the first game and we both had dunsparce. We had both pretty good starts and it was all the time very tense. It was pretty equal on both sides...we just drew prize card after prize card. In the end I made it and I won by one prize. Rayquaza_ex (dr) was just too good!
The second game was not that good for me. I didnt really had a good starting hand, but we had both sparce again. I built up a li’l bit, but it wasn’t enough and he just ran over my pokemon.
The third game was then really exciting. I send out a pidgey at the beginning and he had a sparce again....first turn: pidgey- rare candy- pidgeot. I searched for sparce, attached an energy to sparce and filled up my bench. But he had a good start, too and he got his pidgeot really early, too. It was a very exciting game...probably one of the most exciting games i ever had (besides the national finals against Max Benczek last year), because it was like in the first game really close. I was able to make some damage to him with my blaziken_ex, I was able to knock out his rayquaza_ex, the only present danger for the blaziken_ex at that time. But he had a second rayquaza_ex and he was able to knock my blaziken_ex out and he came down to two prizes left. My last chance was to get a second blaziken_ex on my bench. Fortunately it wasn’t a big problem due to my pidgeot and I had already in that same turn one with 3 energies out.
Because he didn’t had a blaziken_ex he wasn’t able to draw both prizes at once and so i send out a sparce to stall. Next turn I knocked his rayquaza_ex with my blaziken_ex out and drew my last two prizes. Really intense that game.
2:1

Semifinals v. Kevin De Mooij(ShapeShift)
If I wouldn’t have played against him now, i would have challenge him later, because I wanted to play against him anyway, since he isn’t dutch champion for nothing. So it happened that we played.
The first game wasn’t very good for me and he defeated me farely easy. I was able to hold him a little bit, but whenever he knocked out my rayquaza_ex I didn’t have anything left and he won. In the second game it looked a little bit better, but not good enough. I was able to draw some prizes and defeat his gorebyss and his jirachi and therefore I knocked out my biggest weakness, but it wasn’t good enough and he was still able to defeat me, I had some bad luck, but it was still fun.
0:2

Game for Third Place v. Patrick Möschter(Rock Look)
Everyone said, that it was very hard to beat him, but I was still convinced that my deck had a better match up than his. He started with a larvitar and since I had a sparce, I was able to fill my bench up and get a rayquaza_ex, because his deck couldn’t do very much against an early rayquaza_ex. So I just finished the first game with ray_ex and won. The second game was even faster, because he just surrenderred after i drew some prize cards with my ray_ex!

So, that was enough to get third.
Probs:
- third place was good enough
- people from further away, especially the dutch
- the torunament organization
- the Location
- 9 Booster which gave me a Rayquaza_ex(DX)
- 56 players
- Cetin, Oli, Robin
- Kevin - he's a nice player
- Lia for the good game between rounds

Slops:
- it took forever
- no seats in mc donald’s -.-
- the night afterwards... Lol

I can´t buy that newspaper becuase I´m living in another town, sorry. But you can print the online article. Just go on "Artikel drucken".

Glumanda - one of the players was so nice to put both articles on our Dutch message board, so anybody can print it right now.

SA-X - That game reminded me about something I have to change in my deck. But I have a problem, there is only 1 card I'm willing to get out of it and 2 I have to add.
It was the only game I lost that day.

Hey Hey Hey Hey,

Congrats Kevin, anyone who wins with a life herb in their deck is freakin amazing (and 3 dunsparce XD)!

~ wow, great job, i wish i was half as good as you, you will win worlds, no doubt

You never cease to amaze me with your crazy combo's, keep up the good work !

~spencer

gj kevin, i guess i'd be playing u at worlds lol if i go :p it looks like alot of people look up to you....so i guess i will to :p lol goood job once again.

Back