Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds 2009 In Review

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruiner

Alright, I had a large series of thoughts flowing into my brain this year in San Diego as Worlds 2009 came and went. Overall, I would likely to thank PUI and all involved for making it such an amazing event. While it wasn't flawless, it was extremely enjoyable. I want to take some time to point out some of the things I really enjoyed about the event, and than go on to "nitpick" and point out some of the things I felt could have been done better in the hopes that they may get improved upon for next year in Hawaii, or even further down the line. After that, I have some complaints/suggestions regarding the state of this game as a whole that have been brewing up inside of me for some time. ( I had discussions with a number of players/staff in San Diego about this as well, so I felt it was only fair to also bring it the these boards. ) I will be making a second thread for that, so hopefully the topics stay well, on topic.

First off: The Friday/Saturday split of worlds. I loved this. In the overall scheme of things, I am sure it isn't all too relevant, but I felt it did flow better. I like having Sunday available to see a city while I am on vacation. Plus, if I have school/work to deal with, it makes it much easier to travel back on Sunday and have a brief period of recovery. I've been told the day switch was a forced change due to scheduling issues at the hotel ( I am 100% unsure of the validity of this, but this is a rumor I heard ) but I wouldn't mind seeing this schedule every year!

The opening ceremony...While I don't see very many ever matching what was achieved in 07 in Hawaii, it was still rather good. The ending with Eye of the Tiger really got me pumped, and made me wish I had a bit more of a fast start, as I really wanted to get into the thick of a game as a result. Sometime it is the little things that really promote the feel of an event.

The judging staff did a fantastic job. The only two "issues" I saw were the mid-tournament rules change regarding Looker's Investigation's conditions, and the penalty issued to Gino regarding his sleeves. With Looker, it was a no win situation, as two conflicting rulings were being given out prior to the event. It only impacted it's strength dealing with Gengar matchups, so while it was unfortunate it had to come into play, it would really impact a very small percentage of the field. I do feel it is rather unfortunate seeing how Gengar players would often devote 2-4 spots of their deck to the card, which effectively lost a majority of it's strength, and they were unaware until midway into the event. Things like this really need to be sorted out prior to the event. I know it is difficult to catch EVERYTHING, but it seems we get an issue like this almost every year. Perhaps more time and effort need to be made to keep things on the same page. As for the issue with Gino's sleeves, I know if I was in his spot, I'd be fairly salty as well, but the judges 100% made the correct decision. Not only was it directly laid out in the tournament floor rules how the scenario should be handled, but while I am fairly confident it was an unintentional issue, it was cloudy enough that it was difficult to claim either way. A game loss is unfortunate, but from a judge's perspective, 100% the right call. What do I suggest to make sure this doesn't happen again? MANDATORY DECK CHECKS. Come on guys. It's Worlds. Each age group is 128 players. I understand at Nationals where you have 1000+ players. This is the biggest event of the year, take the time to initiate deck checks. We didn't even get deck checks before top 32. This should have been done as well. None the less, besides those 2 "blemishes" the event ran extremely smoothly. I have often been very critical of the staff used at certain events, and I think it is only fair to be the opposite and let everyone know when I feel that an event was staffed and ran extremely well.

The swag! The World Competitors bags were fantastic this year. This was easily the best compilation of gifts given out yet. Even if I do think Sky Form Shaymin is hideous looking. I guess I'll also use this as a moment to say that the DSi given out to top 32 is also amazing. Not only does it look amazing, but it seems to be in high demand: I do appreciate exclusive prizes because they cost PUI a lot less money to provide than they will make a player if they opt to sell it. It is a great way to offer greater prize support at a lesser cost. The Trophies have gotten better and better each year as well. Of course the year I received one ( 2004 ) quite possibly had the ugliest trophy in Worlds History too. I'm so jealous of the newer winners!

The format: I just wanted to say that this has been one of the absolute best formats the game has ever seen. Last year, the degree of skill needed in this game began to climb at a rapid pace. The only issue was that at the same time, the amount of viable deck options plummeted to...well, Gardevoir and Empoleon. This year, the amount of skill remained high all the way up until States and Regionals....when it jumped even higher with the introduction of SP pokemon. This year the number of viable deck choices was vast, and even now a great number of good decks probably remain untested. While I feel that SP Pokemon as a whole are very unbalanced and probably bad for the game, they do make for some extremely fun games. It reminds me very much of Unlimited back in the WotC era. Sure 90% of cards were unplayable, but the actual games played were extremely skill intensive and satisfying. I like how the game play is evolving as a whole and it excites me for the game's future. Hopefully the current game balance is maintained.

Now, I do have some issues as well. For one, the hotel. Yes, the Hilton was a NICE hotel. The problem is, they were not helpful at all towards accommodating players. They had no places open to play, kicked players out of areas they managed to find, and closed off the gaming rooms very early. The hotel itself was far nicer than the one used in 2005 in San Diego, but that Hotel did a fantastic job of giving people a place to stay and making the players feel welcome. It was somewhat the same issue we had with Nationals in St. Louis where the event itself was run smoothly by all Pokemon people involved, but it seemed like the venue and surrounding area were fighting against us. I understand it is difficult to find a nice hotel that is willing to put up with thousands of Pokemon Players loitering around it's premises for 4+ days, but I've seen different hotels put up with it far better than this one did. I had more fun at this Worlds than any previous one, and I feel I could have had an even BETTER time if the hotel had been more open to the players.

Nick and Tracy: I have very mixed feelings here. Both of them struck me as very nice and outgoing. I got to talk to Tracy a little before my feature match against Yamato in round 4. The problem is, they come off as TOO nice and outgoing. I am 100% sure they work great with the Juniors, and a lot of the seniors, but there are times it comes off as forced, overly campy, and alienating to the older crowd. I was always spoiled by having Dave S and Mike L and others go up and handle the ceremonies. They may not have the same campy charisma, but you could really sense the sincerity in their words, and it made you feel that much more excited to be a part of the game. With Nick and Tracy, it felt like they could have just paid Carson Daly some money to go up and stage, shout " Yay! Pokemon! " walk off stage and leave. I feel bad saying this because they seemed to be nice, but it seems like they are added more to make the "worlds dvd" look more marketable to kids than to actually pump up the players. I guess this is a huge example of me just nitpicking and possibly being biased. I am sure that they did more to excite some of the younger players than they did to offend/alienate any of the older ones. Plus we got to see Nick dance in the closing ceremony so all was not lost. :D

The opening ceremony: Once again, it just seemed that a good portion of the ceremony was used to shill product and to make for a nice clip to use in some promotional dvd.

The closing ceremony: Why wasn't third place allowed on stage? If I understand correctly, they almost always had been allowed to stand with the other trophy winners in each prior year. It just seemed like a pointless snubbing. It couldn't have been that difficult to get them up there too. I imagine it sure would mean a lot to the players who took 3rd to get up on stage, and whatever little effort it would have taken to bring them up shouldn't be that difficult. On a site note, the drum squad was AWESOME! :p

In closing, I want to again stress that as a whole, this event was fantastic. I really enjoyed it. I don't want this to come off as a long chain of complaints and ingratitude. I want this to be a forum for discussion, coming from some of my observations having experienced the evolution of organized play for Pokemon since the beginning when Wizards of the Coast first brought the game to the United States. ( Looking back at what they gave us, you'll really appreciate how much PUI is doing to make this game as amazing as it is today ) Yet for every improvement made, the experience can still be made better, and I'd like to hear what everyone else has to say about their Worlds' experience, both the good and the bad so hopefully next years will be even better!

as a point getting your deck checked in the begging of a tournemant doesn't mean it Wont become illegal later on and maditory checks will only make this run slower.

Yeah it was really run well and I agree about the Nick and Tracy part. A lot of players especially TCG players have said they didn't like them. I also feel like the VG WC and TCG WC should be in different rooms. The noise the game made was very distracting to me as a master and would be more so to a junior which unfortunately were positioned closest to the VG WC.

I defintiely agree with the deck checks. It also helps players that may have miscounted their deck and have 61 or 59 cards. Or if their list doesn't match the deck. Or in Gino's case if you have unintentionally marked sleeves. I really see this stopping many game losses and penalties that weren't anyone's fault.

I wasn't at Worlds, but I also feel deck checks are needed for Worlds.

Deck Checks would have prevented the whole Gino situation. Heck even opitional deck checks would have stoped it (Gino I believe usually get his deck checked).

3rd Place on stage, well we already know where I stand on that issue.

Nick and Tracey: I agree with Chirs they seemed like nice people. While I'm sure they were wonderful Junior and some Senior players. They are the exact opposite of what Masters try to convey. A majoirty of my close friends know I play Pokemon I don't hide the fact. I explained to them how tournaments work, how competive they are, and how a majority of us are just normal guys/girls with our own lives that come together for something we enjoy doing. Pokemon players are everything from US Marines to School Teachers. A majority of them were actually very surprised to learn this. They honestly thought it was me playing against a bunch of 5 year olds. I think Nick and Tracey just take away alot of the mathurity (wow I can't spell). and complexity from the game I try so hard to convey.

Lastly Please throw a party, I'm not even saying it has to be huge or expensive or showy. Heck send Swimmer down to the local grocey store and have him grab some bread and deli meet. I think for $100-$200 you could do a nice little Sandwitch/chip dinner with cookies and Ice Cream. So I guess it is Hawaii so I be under cutting it a bit. But just something where all the competiors can get together and just chill. The calm before the storm if you will.

My biggest complaint about Nationals was not having a playtest/trade room established for the players to meet. I was excited to get to Worlds a full day early to take advantage of what has always been provided and was shocked on my arrival to find everyone sitting in the lobby of the hotel again. I hope that will be addressed at both events next year. I know this must involve some extra cost but should be small compared to the rest of the expenses and maybe it can even be "thrown" in by the venue......especially if they know ahead of time it is in their best interest as well to have a safe area that does not cause issues for their other guests.

In San Diego we were told to leave the bar and go upstairs just to be told by security to go back downstairs. All that led to was 75+ players sitting all over the lobby of the hotel again. Did not keep us from having fun but my back is getting to old for sitting on the floor for three days!!

Yes, I cannot believe I forgot the dinner/social event!! I really enjoyed them in 04 and 05 and such, and was actually very disappointed to not have one this year. I know some of the reasons why it was left out, but I still miss it. Plus Dave in a chef's uniform would be unforgettable.

DarkMagnus-Hmmm...deck checks wouldn't stop unintentional marking? How so? It weeds out unintentional marking. That way, if theres any issue midtourney, outside of potential wear and tear ( fairly easy to judge ) than the sleeves were changed and the odds it was CHEATING is almost certain. Thats a DQ sir. Seems like it clears up quite a bit of the grey area to me.

I defintiely agree with the deck checks. It also helps players that may have miscounted their deck and have 61 or 59 cards. Or if their list doesn't match the deck. Or in Gino's case if you have unintentionally marked sleeves. I really see this stopping many game losses and penalties that weren't anyone's fault.

Honestly...You are playing at the POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, not some local league tournament....how can any player in this event go into the event with 59 or 61 cards and not be held responsible for having a correct deck list. You have to take responsibility for your own equipment gang. Don't give me the argument that anyone can make a mistake...it is simple...count 60 cards...make sure those cards match up with your deck list. We on the judge staff are seriously not any smarter or meticulous than you and we have even less time to check your things.

In the grinder, there were WAAAY to many deck list problems turned in by very very good players in the Masters Division. I am glad we managed to correct most of these problems, but we should have never had to go there in the 1st place. Juniors...maybe seniors can be cut some slack in this, but Masters....the name of the division says it all.

I do agree that more voluntary deck checks should be done and checks thru the rounds need to be done.
Heck...you could even have a friend do a deck check for you before you turn in your list :thumb:

Sleeves checks...now THAT is something we can do more of and it doesn't take that much time. Either a thumbs up or thumbs down. The only thing we ask as judges is if we say resleeve, go do it...no time for debating the issue.

I agree a lot with what Chris said. Just some things I would like to mention:
-I was surprised that the VGC didn't give out any trophy for 3rd place. I remember seeing one last year at the VGS so I was surprised when none were on display :(
-A trade/play test room was also missing. It was annoying when I was down on the lobby with my friends play testing when out of nowhere security asks all of us to leave the area. It would have been nice if they had the side event area open for players to hang out at.
-I was dissappointed to find out that the movie area closed way to early (4pm :0) It would have been nice to chill on those beany bags lol
-Yes the VGC and TCG should really have their own rooms. I liked the set up for last year than this year. When ever something big happened (Crit/status condition/Flinch) screams could be heard all over the area. I'm sure this ruined the concentration of a lot of the TCG players.
-I thought it was funny when my VG friends showed me their competitor kits (the playmat/sleeves/cards). It's a cool way to market the TCG to VG players but it would have been nice if something VG related was included for VG competitors.

All in all, I thought worlds was a great success! :D

Nick & Tracy??

Gotta love 'em, they came in did what was asked of them. I got a glimps of Tracy at the 10 year annv. Space City Houston event a few years back, she was awesome then as well.

But.....

Nobody, and I mean NOBODY can reach out to the players like Dave Schwimmer. That man rocks when you put a microphone in his hands. I should know, I've owned a DJ business for 20 years. I can spot a winner a mile away and Dave is OUR man. The way he grabs that microphone, the way he sweats, the way he moves back and forth, he brings us to our feet when he gets going. I think EVERYBODY missed that.

We want someone that KNOWS us, we want to be yelled at, we want to be told to stand up and clap, waiving our hands in the air like we just don't care, lol. That was missing.

Let Nick and Tracy do Nationals where there's more Juniors and Seniors for them to excite, leave Worlds to the big guy. Dang it I want to be yelled at!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Lurb View Post
Honestly...You are playing at the POKEMON WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS, not some local league tournament....how can any player in this event go into the event with 59 or 61 cards and not be held responsible for having a correct deck list. You have to take responsibility for your own equipment gang. Don't give me the argument that anyone can make a mistake...it is simple...count 60 cards...make sure those cards match up with your deck list. We on the judge staff are seriously not any smarter or meticulous than you and we have even less time to check your things.
An issue came up which might have been prevented with deck checks. I can't see how it would hurt more than help to have them.
On the other hand:
Deck Checks would have prevented the whole Gino situation. Heck even opitional deck checks would have stoped it (Gino I believe usually get his deck checked).
I'm not convinced that a deck checker would have caught the problem. They were official pokemon sleeves, not something that would usually come under fire. Unless the deck checkers were looking for the problem, this would probably have gone unnoticed.

Honesly, Fulop - that was a very well written review of worlds, and I hereby agreed with all of the points.

The VG and TCG room needs to be seperated, for sure.... And the open gaming room needs to be there for all of the social fun matter - and would love to see that happen again in Hawaii from as early as Monday.

Regarding the competitor package, it was amazing... But hmm.
1. Folder & cards - still the same, I love them as its what I collect =D
2. Competitor Shirt - I collect those every year [even if I am not there that year, I usually get it off someone such as gym or friends near me], I loved it but I'm sure 07/08 was the best but keep the colours different every time.
3. The accessories - I loved the playmats, its nice, but I do not personally like the deckboxes and sleeves they've given over the last 3 worlds - as the best one they've done was in 2006, as I'm sure MOST of the players would LOVE to see the return of a magnetic deckbox and worlds themed deckbox. As for sleeves, I would love to see Japanese themed sleeves featuring the main mascot of Worlds pokemon, and I swear to go - I DO NOT WANT TO SEE ANY ULTROPRO MADE STUFF IN THE WORLDS SWAG EVER AGAIN! Period.
4. Foreign boosters, They're NICE stuff, which is great for anyone to explore the language difference from different parts of the world.
5. Hat: I would prefer given two hats, one have a Worlds logo and another have just a Pokemon on it, and if I were to chose which one I would wear mostly, I would chose the Pokemonj one - as I remember back in 2007, the Pokemon one was the BEST one for me to wear in a long time, pity I lost that hat... :[
6. Towel: I guess they're OK, I love my yellow Pikachu one from 2007, as it's the best one out of all, last year's Pika is ugly and this year Shaymin's OK.
7. Bag: Over the last 5 years I have seen bags, I must say that 2006 and 2009 was the BEST bags I have seen given out of all Worlds... And I hope they would provide legit and more useful bag types, something that is not ugly or unacceptable for a wide number of people... Who needs a totem bag? Who needs a duffel bag? Ugh, those are not the way for most people needs in social and general life... The satchel and backpack that we got in 2005,2006,and 2009 are the best, way to go to attract those kind of people. However I would LOVE to see a return of a backpack as worlds swag giveaway.
8. Random little things: I must say, they're all nice and great to have to keep anyone happy... Some are great, some are ok, some are bad...but most of it still acceptable.
9. Some VG marketing idea: I know this year, they give out a sticker for their DS as well as a keychain, so it would be nice if they give out a stylus that's Worlds or Pika themed that would attract ANYONE...Even the card players.

Video game download, As much as I like it, I think they should really make it easier for the English downloads, as they could've set up a local Wifi download machine that can be on all day of let's say, Sunday...while the other language ones would have to see someone to do download theirs manually.

I guess I have said it all, and I am sure I have pretty much covered it all.

I'm not convinced that a deck checker would have caught the problem. They were official pokemon sleeves, not something that would usually come under fire. Unless the deck checkers were looking for the problem, this would probably have gone unnoticed.

Thats not true. When given a deck check they notice everything right away. After my game loss I was given newer sleeves. They were the regigigas orange ones and I went over to the judge immediately before he walked away and said "can you check these, I dont wan't any more trouble." When he looked at them about 35 of those sleeves were marked. So they had to find another set of 60 and mix those together with my deck. When they did that they could only make a deck of 50! 70 were defective!!!

So they went through sleeve one by one to double check and they still needed more sleeves. Then we needed backup sleeves incase one ripped or teared so they ended up going through 180 sleeves. Three sets of regigigas sleeves. The judge noticed the sleeves markings before my cards were even in them. So this proves it can be prevented and if your decks sleeved at the same time its a plus and it CAN BE PREVENTED.

Also day one of worlds I went around asking judges for a DECK CHECK before it started. I was given the run around because they were two busy. This should have been prevented and hopefully it is for the next year worlds competetiors. I hope this never happens to another worlds competitior again. Im a very pre-cautious player and I know the rules. I ask for deck checks during battle roads and citys for gods sake.

But fulop your right the judges did get the ruling 100% right. UNINTENTIONAL:nonono:

My biggest complaint about Nationals was not having a playtest/trade room established for the players to meet. I was excited to get to Worlds a full day early to take advantage of what has always been provided and was shocked on my arrival to find everyone sitting in the lobby of the hotel again. I hope that will be addressed at both events next year. I know this must involve some extra cost but should be small compared to the rest of the expenses and maybe it can even be "thrown" in by the venue......especially if they know ahead of time it is in their best interest as well to have a safe area that does not cause issues for their other guests.

In San Diego we were told to leave the bar and go upstairs just to be told by security to go back downstairs. All that led to was 75+ players sitting all over the lobby of the hotel again. Did not keep us from having fun but my back is getting to old for sitting on the floor for three days!!

You missed the final step at the Hilton.
I think 1 hour later (after the bar wheeping) we were told to go outside (or to your room).
We were not allowed to stay in the lobby, not allowed to use the chairs.
I paid over $200 a night to stay there, nobody mentioned I was only allowed to use my room (and not the lobby chairs)

Makes you feel very welcome, uhhhh not really.

Unfortunately this was only my first Worlds, so I don't have any prior experiences to compare it to. But from a first-timer's point of view, the Worlds weekend was nothing short of fantastic. I've always been a huge, huge fan of Nationals, and I figured my trip to Worlds this year would be like a second dose of that, but it turned out to be so much more. With other factors in my life permitting, I will definitely be attending Worlds every year possible from now on.

Yeah like I said, the event was fantastic. Worlds has never been short of amazing, even if it isn't perfect ;)

`um sry to say that players who intend to mark there sleeves wont do so after the mandatory check? you must not judge much or are extremely niave

Right, so throwing out the " intentional vs unintentional" issue is irrelevant?

SO say 80% of marked cards are unintentional. Preventing 80% of complications isn't good?

PLUS narrowing down the other 20% to "cheating" opposed to the "unintentional marking" issue we had with Gino isn't beneficial.

I also don't trust the claim of naivety coming from someone who can't even spell the word, but hey, that's just me.

assuming it takes the average person 5 minutes to do a deck check, this is the recommended time as well multiply that by the number of players and divide by the number of staff it takes to do the check, thats how long it will add to the tourny, now, decks still become marked after Rd 1 when you place your sleeves back into your deck box. your ideas are theorymon it sounds great but it doesn't make things better simply know that it is the PLAYERS responsability to know there sleeves are legal, if you dont belive me ask for the player responsabilites sheet its out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back