Pokémon TCG: Sword and Shield—Brilliant Stars

Worlds in San Diego? Really?

Ariadosman

It has come to my attention that San Diego is not a good choice for Worlds. For those of you that don't know, San Diego is right near Mexico, right where the Swine Flu outbreak started. Could we really hold a massive event there?

I realised too.

Somebody I know went over there and apparantly every one is wearing masks.

I hope they change the location but it is too late as every one now has there invites and have booked there flights.

It's a shame. I bet lot's of good players might not come due to that.

Compared to the 'risk' of flying to San Diego and driving around etc, the risk of Swine Flu isn't worth bothering about.

It's not even as bad as normal flu, which you could catch anywhere at any time.

Honestly, the common flu catches more people on a yearly base in THE NETHERLANDS alone as this swine fluke does in the ENTIRE BLOODY WORLD. Nothing to worry about.

Why are people still panicking about the total dud that was swine flu?

Just traveling to the event would have a higher mortality rate than swine flu. By a long shot.

I have something I could say about the ridiculousness of everybody's precautions about swine flu, but it's not appropriate for child-friendly forums. Therefore I will just say that the whole thing is overblown.

I live in San Diego. I haven't seen a single person wearing a mask. The swine flu's pretty much dead down here. So trust the boy from SD; everythings fine

Its really just something the news made sound incredibly horrible because of slow news. If you look up some real facts then you will see its not that bad.

We've already had a long conversation about the affect that H1N1 is going to have on Pokemon events, which you can find by using the search function.

Whether you think the risk is real or not, San Diego was selected long before the H1N1 outbreak, so there's nothing Pokemon could've done outside of having future-telling foresight.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but if you feel that San Diego is an unsafe place I'd recommend letting POP know how you feel, and possibly not attending the event.

Good luck either way.

Ignorance is a bliss.

Just because it's not life-threatening it's not correct to say that the swine flu is not dangerous and that the situation is overblown. The reason why it should be taken for serious is due to how easy it spreads between humans. Being spread to a vast amount of people, will give it more opportunities to mutate. If unlucky a mutation could easily change the traits of the virus, changing its abilities completely. For better, for worse.

The reason why authorities try to calm people down is only of one reason. To avoid panic, which leads to overconsumation of anti-viral agents, which leads to resistance. Also a society doesn't have limitless amounts of anti-viral agents, and during a large pandemia (even if it has mild symptoms) it will result in lots of sick people (maybe not severely ill, but ill enough so they can't work for a week) leading to huge economic/social problems in that country.

So yes, I respect the new virus but I'm not afraid of it. Nobody should either panic nor feel safe about it. If Pokémon USA would like to be responsible to the rest of the world, they should consider moving it from San Diego. However I do understand that this is out of the question since that would cost them a lot of money.

>_> And no I'm not a self-proclaimed know-how who is making things up. I've been studying medicine/chemistry at university specialized in this area. I'm considering not to go if I would win the Nationals.

So, if they moved it to another city, would they also have to ban people from San Diego and Mexico (or anywhere else where swine flu exists) from attending Worlds?

Loads of people are still travelling around, potentially spreading the virus when they go on holiday or travel for work. I can't see Pokemon Worlds making much of a difference to the big picture.

Ignorance is a bliss.

Just because it's not life-threatening it's not correct to say that the swine flu is not dangerous and that the situation is overblown. The reason why it should be taken for serious is due to how easy it spreads between humans. Being spread to a vast amount of people, will give it more opportunities to mutate. If unlucky a mutation could easily change the traits of the virus, changing its abilities completely. For better, for worse.

The reason why authorities try to calm people down is only of one reason. To avoid panic, which leads to overconsumation of anti-viral agents, which leads to resistance. Also a society doesn't have limitless amounts of anti-viral agents, and during a large pandemia (even if it has mild symptoms) it will result in lots of sick people (maybe not severely ill, but ill enough so they can't work for a week) leading to huge economic/social problems in that country.

So yes, I respect the new virus but I'm not afraid of it. Nobody should either panic nor feel safe about it. If Pokémon USA would like to be responsible to the rest of the world, they should consider moving it from San Diego. However I do understand that this is out of the question since that would cost them a lot of money.

>_> And no I'm not a self-proclaimed know-how who is making things up. I've been studying medicine/chemistry at university specialized in this area. I'm considering not to go if I would win the Nationals.

If anything the media is the whole cause for the panic. Swine flu is hardly a big deal, I mean 11 total deaths in the US? So scary :lol:! The normal flu kills THOUSANDS every year, and there are no hysterics about that. There's no reason to respect the swine flu or even think about moving Worlds because of it. It's no more dangerous than the normal flu, and you are infinitely more likely to catch some other disease at work or school than you are swine flu in SoCal. It is just irrational thought that is leading everybody to be concerned about it.

Anybody who is thinking of not coming to San Diego because of swine flu is over reacting. THERE ARE NO CONFIRMED CASES IN CALIFORNIA. I mean come on people, this whole thing is a joke. If anything, I would be more worried about the people who are GOING to Mexico, specifically Tijuana, for a day or a night of bar hopping, clubbing, sight seeing, and south of the border fun. There is no way I would go somewhere that the Marines aren't allowed to go.

Take it from somebody who lives in LA (another supposed swine flu hotspot), this whole scare is just plain fear mongering. The media loves it because of ratings, drug companies love it because it is profitable, and the government loves it because it deflects attention from real problems. For somebody who has real friends in SD, there is nothing to worry about and i will be enjoying Worlds regardless. Swine flu isn't a big deal, statistics don't lie.

If you are really concerned, go nuts with the hand sanitizer, avoid all physical contact, and wear one of those masks that can't really stop any viruses or bacteria anyway. Even though it won't do anything, at least you'll feel better.

Last edited:
Well H1N1 may or may not be a problem after this Summer and we should have a vaccine for the virus by the end of this Summer at best. I do agree that San Diego isn't a good place to have Worlds, I think POP/PUI should reconsider their decision in terms of keeping everyone healthy and safe.

In order to have worlds anywhere, they have to reserve a location 2 years in advance. And planning for that location takes a year to get lined up. It would be practically impossible to move the location at such short notice.

If you feel at risk, then perhaps it should fall on you to make the decision as to whether or not the risk is worth it.

I have not heard that Sea World or the Zoo have been closed due to the flu.

Once again, swine flu is dead in san diego. I know, I live here. Please don't miss worlds just because of some silly rumors. No ones wearing masks, no ones even afraid down here, just get over it

Swine flu is a media-created epidemic. Get over it. Nobody in California is wearing masks. If you're scared, get a dog.

Back